what is the meaning please hlep

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 01:16 am
By that time I had already made up my mind never for all the money in the world to do anything against my conscience.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 01:34 am
hello jackenglish,

By that time I had already made up my mind , never for all the money in the world , to do anything against my conscience.
Please note where i have placed commas. Many times punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence.

By that time = an expresion of time having passed relative to something happening. "That" indicates some thing that has happened previously in the text.

I had already made up my mind = made a decision about what I would or would not do.

Example: I made up up my mind to vist china next year.

Example: I made up my mind to ride a bicycle to work instead of walking.

Example: You have made up your mind to study english.

never for all the money in the world = a very large sum of money.
This part indicates that no matter what I am offered I will not change my decision.
Interestingly in the west we sometimes say "Not for all the tea in China".

To do anything against my conscience = concience is a reflection of our life values. It is like a voice in our mind that tells us right from wrong.

My concience tells me it is wrong to hurt someone. My concience tells me it is right to help a person learning english.

The passage tells me the person has made a decision not to do harm to other things. Not even if a very very large sum of money is offered to him.

Please tell me if I have helped you to understand.
0 Replies

LittleCrab

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:36 am
Thank you Dadpad for your detailed explanation.

It's my first time to hear the idiom- "Not for all the tea in China". Sounds interesting.

And my conscience tells me it could not be enough to thank you, and other tutors in this forum, for your kind efforts in sharing the enchanting knowledge about the English language. Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:29 am
littlecrab are you a teacher of english for some of the students we help?
do you know some of the students?
0 Replies

LittleCrab

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:18 am
dadpad wrote:
littlecrab are you a teacher of english for some of the students we help?
do you know some of the students?

Absolutely not. I'm just an English learner. And I have no acquaintance of anyone here before. A post in another English-learning forum linked your site. So I came, I saw, I learned, and in the end, hooked.

Thank you guys, I enjoy my every visit here. Very Happy
0 Replies

LittleCrab

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:30 am
P.S. Below is the original post which lead me here. If you are interested, just take a look by yourself.

http://www.hjbbs.com/thread-2-266799.htm
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:53 am
Thanks for the link littlecrab I wondered where they all came from.

Unfortunatly the forum you link to is in chinese characters which my computer cannot show so all i see is questionmarks ????? ???? ????. I would not be able to understand anyway.

Can you post a message that says we like to try to help as an act of good will between east and west but if no answer is forthcoming do not be dissolusioned, try again with another question, and also to tell us a little of life in china as we are just as curiouse as they are.
Perhaps I ask too much, if you are not comfortable do not feel pressured to do as I request.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:58 am
By the way LC your english skills are most excellent.
0 Replies

LittleCrab

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 10:38 pm
dadpad wrote:
Thanks for the link littlecrab I wondered where they all came from.

Unfortunatly the forum you link to is in chinese characters which my computer cannot show so all i see is questionmarks ????? ???? ????. I would not be able to understand anyway.

Can you post a message that says we like to try to help as an act of good will between east and west but if no answer is forthcoming do not be dissolusioned, try again with another question, and also to tell us a little of life in china as we are just as curiouse as they are.
Perhaps I ask too much, if you are not comfortable do not feel pressured to do as I request.

You are welcome, dadpad. There's one English blog based in Shanghai, which depicts almost every aspect of Chinese life, not only that of modern cities. I hope it might meet your basic requirements of understanding China. 'cause you know I'm not a good writer and talker, I prefer to recommend this site to you, and other China-enchanted friends--

http://spaces.msn.com/sevencastles/ (updated daily)

Hope you could find it's helpful. Smile

Re the question-answer posts, I think you've done as best as you could to help my fellow-learners. As you may know, traditionally Chinese people are not good at expressing their feelings directly by words, not even between family members. So if you wonder why so many answers got so little thank-you feedback, pls think things on the better side.

BTW, dadpad, you are really considerate to others. I can feel it. Cool
0 Replies

LittleCrab

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 10:42 pm
dadpad wrote:
By the way LC your english skills are most excellent.

Dadpad, thank you for your gracious compliments. You really flattered me. I sure have so much more to learn from you, and other good-will volunteers. Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 11:24 pm
Re: what is the meaning please hlep
jackenglish wrote:
By that time I had already made up my mind never for all the money in the world to do anything against my conscience.

Morality above all else.
0 Replies