you help

cumtwyd

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:13 am
hi:
I'm not sure about the meaning of "sci-fi" in the sentence "It transforms a game of golf into a sci-fi fantasy." What does it mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:45 am
"Sci-fi" is short for "science fiction, also called speculative fiction because the author's speculate on "what might happen if?"

Perhaps in your example some imaginary sorcerer has given the golf player super human ability to play golf?
0 Replies

cumtwyd

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:14 am
Thank you
I'm very glad for your reply. Thank you ! Smile
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:09 am
Cumtwyd, I like to see people acknowledge answers to their questions as you did. Since you are studying English, let me correct your sentence structure. "Thankful for" or "appreciative of your reply" would be preferable to "glad for your reply".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:21 pm
Wyd--

You're welcome.

As for flyboy's comment: You could also have written, "The term confused me, so I was glad to see your clarification/reply."

I'm sure when you started school (What age do Children start formal schooling in China?) that your teacher told you that brief comments were not necessarily the best comments.

When you try to save words and time when writing a foreign language, the results can be hasty or unclear.
0 Replies

cumtwyd

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 01:34 am
know it
Very Happy Hello;
I have learned a lot in this forum. Thanks for giving me so much information.
0 Replies