during this war."

But even within the United States, such
sentiments have spilled well beyond the usual circles
of right-and left-wing media critics. I recently
participated in a panel discussion at the National
Press Club here on the media in Venezuela. In that
country the private media has openly and consciously
sided with the political opposition, and in the process
disgraced itself in the eyes of journalists worldwide.
The comparison with American reporting on the war
repeatedly came up. It was striking to see such broad
agreement -- among people of very divergent views
and politics -- that our media had indeed failed
miserably to fulfill its basic duty to inform the public.

The most obvious evidence of this failure is a
"results-based" measure. A Gallup poll last August
found that 53 percent of Americans believed that
Saddam Hussein was "personally involved" in the
massacre of September 11. Where did they get this
idea, for which no evidence exists?

They got this idea from hearing it implied --
not even stated outright -- repeatedly by the Bush
administration. The broadcast media transmitted this
information over and over again, with only occasional
rebuttals, if any. Regardless of their own views on the
war, American journalists became the Bush
Administration's major means of promoting it, even
through disinformation. This disinformation included
the alleged weapons of mass destruction (still missing
in action), the forged documents and aluminum tubes
put forth as evidence of an Iraqi nuclear program, and
other falsehoods.

Many journalists I have talked to blame the
American people for allowing themselves to be
fooled, some even calling Americans "stupid." As far
as they are concerned, the information was all there,
especially in the print media and on the Internet -- so
it's your own fault if you were misinformed or
deceived.

This is a cop-out. Americans may have a
lower literacy level than other high-income countries,
but they are not any more stupid than anyone else.
The people of Europe -- including the British and
Spanish whose governments joined the "coalition of
the willing" -- overwhelmingly opposed the war
because the media in those countries, while
presenting Bush and Blair's statements, also gave the
other side of the story.

The broadcast media is most important,
because that is the main source of information for the
"swing voters" and Americans whose views are not
determined by party affiliation. This media will have
to be reformed.  Journalists must begin to treat
government lying as any other form of malfeasance
such as bribery or stealing: it is something to be
exposed to the public as news, not glossed over and
reinforced with endless repetition.

And when the public is divided on matters of
opinion, with 61 percent opposing a unilateral
American invasion of Iraq, that view must be given
equal time to that of government officials -- not just
an occasional spray in an ocean of pro-war messages.

The last nine months have been truly
Orwellian. In a political move beginning last August
that was as transparent as it was cynical, the Bush
team used a manufactured threat from Iraq to remove
from the electoral agenda all the domestic issues on
which it was politically vulnerable. Among these: a
series of scandals involving the administration's
highest officials (including President Bush and Vice-
President Dick Cheney), the economy, the budget,
Medicare and Social Security.

The strategy worked, and helped them win
both houses of Congress for the Republican party.
They then invaded Iraq, causing the media and the
public to rally even more around the President, and
lifting his approval ratings. Now the press is talking
about whether he can "use the capital from the
military success to push forward his domestic
agenda."

That is not likely, as the economy continues to
sputter and unemployment rises. The odds are
therefore very high that we will find ourselves
confronting another "security threat" before the next
election -- North Korea, Iran, Syria . . . there are
many to choose from.

Yes, it can happen again. The media's
complicity in such scams is therefore much worse
than a problem of bias or passivity. It is one of the
greatest threats to democracy -- and security -- that
this country faces.

Mark Weisbrot is Co-Director of the Center for
Economic and Policy Research, in Washington D.C.
(http://www.cepr.net/)

Received this by E-mail today. Would anyone care to comment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 03:43 pm
As far as the article is concerned, I need more time to digest, before I comment. I really would like to know more about the people who are running the organization who published the article.

As far as the news, in the best of all possible worlds, the media is a disinterested reporter. The only place where opinion or bias should be evident is on the op-ed pages of the newspapers, or TV and radio programs that are clearly labeled as promoting their own opinions. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 04:04 pm
Phoenix

FYI

Name: Mark Weisbrot
E-mail: <[email protected]>
Co-Director
Center for Economic and Policy Research
1621 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20009-1052
Phone (202) 293-5380 x228
Fax (202) 588-1356
(202) 333-6141 (home)
(202) 746-7264 (cell)
http://www.cepr.net/
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 12:53 am
AU: Welcome.
Quote:
The most obvious evidence of this failure is a
"results-based" measure. A Gallup poll last August
found that 53 percent of Americans believed that
Saddam Hussein was "personally involved" in the
massacre of September 11. Where did they get this
idea, for which no evidence exists?

The idea that this is a "failure" is a matter of contention, as this link attests.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/5818961.htm
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 04:42 am
I think that the anti-war crowd was so hell bent on discrediting the war, that they glossed over the obvious. I think that as time goes on, more and more information will emerge out of Iraq.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:42 pm
Dug this one out up with "Search". Interesting article, belatedly thanks Au. Pity it doesnt seem to have elicited much in ways of responses.

This is kinda only relatively related, but its something that struck me when I was just navigating the CNN site, and this thread seems to be the most relevant one available on the Roundtable. If I go to cnn.com, the site automatically detects where I'm from and forwards me on to the CNN International site, which targets overseas browsers. But I wanted to know what news Americans saw today, because I was interested whether the Balkenende visit (thats our PM) made any blip on the radar whatsoever. So I clicked back on to CNN USA. I was surprised by the sheer difference in the first impression the front pages of these two sites made.

CNN International:

Single big headline, including photo:
"Iraq U.S. draft 'falls short'"

Goes with the text:

Quote:
French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder said the U.S. draft resolution on Iraq does not go far enough.

The U.N. resolution is aimed at getting more countries to contribute troops and money to stabilize and rebuild the country.

And goes with a list of 7 further Iraq-related headlines, including:

Quote:
Iraq troops under review
• Text of U.S. draft resolution
• Rumsfeld: No more U.S. troops needed
• Sources: Pentagon rushed postwar plan

Separate headlines include:

Quote:
Blair avoids Iraq WMD questions | WMD in Iraq

OK, now compare:
the US CNN site.

The big headline, with picture, here is:

FBI concerned power grid could be target

Goes with the text:

Quote:
While there is no evidence of terrorism or criminal hacking in last month's power blackout in the Northeast, the FBI is concerned that vulnerabilities in the power grid could be exploited, the agency's top counterterrorism official told a House committee investigating the power outage.

There are no other Iraq-related headlines on the front page here. Oh yes there is, just the one:

Quote:
Rumsfeld wants Iraqis to play bigger security role

---

Now most people dont tune in to more news than what would appear on the CNN front page. Just imagine the utter difference in experience / perception of the Iraq war and the 'successes' of US diplomacy Europeans and Americans get. Even just taking this one example, you see the whole list of commonplace observations: the American news features a less prominent role to "Iraq", period (strange enough, considering its mostly their soldiers fighting and dying there); less attention to the role of the UN; much less attention to criticisms & scepticism from allies; less reporting on critical sources; and instead a 'reassuring' government statement as main headline.

And the above is just two editions of the same medium. "Native" European media are even more outrightly different from your average US media reporting. In Holland, high-brow broadsheet NRC Handelsblad today headlines its "analysis" to the news item "Number of troops in Iraq has to increase" (re: comments by Hoon and Rumsfeld) with: "US with hanging paws [=tail between its legs] back to UN". The left-leaning Volkskrant headlines its "analysis" to the news story "Bush sees role for UN in Iraq" as: "Bush counts his buttons [=decides] and goes through his knees [=gives in]". The main Iraq-related headline on the homepage of the Amsterdam paper, Het Parool, is: "Europe with its back to the US", with a second headline proclaiming, "US grant UN main role in Iraq". And this is just Holland - one of the countries that has soldiers out working with the Americans in Iraq, and in which a (narrow) plurality in the polls actually consider the war to have been justified. Imagine the French or German papers!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:44 pm
Au--

I think the media could be rightly criticised had they not forwarded critical reports of the Bush administration--stories like Cheney's link to Halliburton--the alleged "sexed up" dossier-- you get my drift.

The negatives are reported. The world's anti-war protests were reported.

The article you brought seemed to take aim at what American citizens made of the reports. The media can't make individual's opinions for them. The rest of the world media may hit louder and more often about so-called negative views of US policy and machinations--but these stories are not withheld from us. I think the rest of the world is just fuming that we don't share the same opinion as they do.

The majority of us believe Saddam Hussien did have a role in the terrorism that took down the WTC. Has it been proven? No. If it is disproven, opinions will shift. There are some, who are rethinking Saddam's possible role, as time passes without WMDs found-- but the media is not to blame for US opinion. They have presented the same news reported elsewhere, IMO.

I do think our media focuses on fluff issues, and makes some mistakes--What About Afghanistan?--but, we do get the anti-Bush, anti-Iraq war stuff. I think how we respond is what has your author so worked up.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 03:21 am
Sofia, you seem to be saying: the American media reported the same things as any other media - Americans just look at it differently.

But that is just not true. Look, most people dont work their way up to page 52A of the New York Times supplement. If the "sexed up dossier", front page news in the UK for weeks, is buried on page 7 of the quality newspapers (which in America are read by only a small minority), and cursorily mentioned as minor item in an evening's news broadcast, you can still formally claim that American media have told their audiences the same facts as any other media, but it will be as good as covered up. Emphasis and phrasing is everything.

Just look at these CNN pages above. And note that the US page was updated still, an hour or two later, with yet more striking visuals and headlines - do check. It chooses to - and this I think is important, its not just that the journalists are also just merely victims of their particular (national) frame of reference - no, it chooses to tell American citizens a wholly different story about the war than what it tells citizens of the rest of the world.

I know, I know, its just a snapshot, just one random moment. But loook at it this way:

• World citizens get to see a state of affairs dominated by an American scramble to belatedly seek UN approval; a sharp rebuke of these American plans as wholly inadequate by the main European leaders; and thought-provoking revelations about Blair dodging WMD questions and inside sources blaming the "Pentagon having rushed the postwar plan" for some of the main problems of this moment.

• American citizens get to see a state of affairs in which the war itself, with its dying soldiers, is strangely subordinated in the main headlines; in which the WMD are not mentioned at all; in which the (negative) international response to the latest American plans is relegated to the "world" section; as is, in fact, the news of the about-face Bush is gradually making, in seeking approval from the despised UN after all, itself. Instead, they will be immediately struck (in their gut) by the succesive main headlines and images that present imminent danger, acute threat, posed by abstract, anonymous "terrorists". All strikingly visualised as a military-looking visor aimed straight at their country (well, Canada actually, but you get my drift Wink, against the eye-catching backdrop of a waving American flag.

The US, in this universe, is not a bumbling country trying to impose its will on a reluctant world and failing; it is a victim state, in a state of continuous threat, full of vulnerable targets, even though it is so doing its best to act like a democratic liberator ("Rumsfeld wants Iraqis to play bigger security role"). That is going to be reflected in how the readership or viewers experience what is going on.

Yes, yes yes, again: its just a snapshot, just one random moment. But I'm sure that should we do a continuous comparison, a more nuanced version of the same contrast would emerge. I mean, this may be a snapshot, but on the other hand - just to put this in perspective again - CNN is, I believe, commonly rejected by American conservatives as the 'liberal' news station, while in Europe it is mostly rejected as an American propaganda station (whether or not intent is attributed about it) - good for breaking news but worthless concerning analysis. So the difference between American CNN and CNN International is in fact the palest of all possible reflections of what the difference constitutes. And if the prime time news broadcasts in the different continents tell such a differently phrased story, they're bound to invoke wholly different perceptions and reactions, too! Though there is the Internet nowadays, most citizens are not going to get the chance of digging up all the stuff the main news doesnt tell them, themselves.

So yes, the media carry a big responsibility. Forget about being more or less "loud" about one or the other issue, in some partisan preference; I, for one, am always astounded by how demurely American journalists question their President; how rarely he gets to be questioned, period; how strictly orchestrated his and Rumsfelds, etc, press meetings are, with the administration deciding who gets to ask a question or not; and about how often a news story seems to almost exclusively depend on government sources. (See for a bad-practice example this thread).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 04:38 am
This one-off comparison of CNNs isnt quite the dilettantist, incidental pounce it might seem, by the way.

When the Iraq war broke out, Fbaezer and I were comparing European, US and Mexican headlines for a little while amidst all the other discussion on the topic of media coverage in this thread.

And a serious, longer-lasting attempt at - and discussion of - the same kind of comparisons is in an Abuzz thread I started when the war in Afghanistan broke out. I hadnt looked at it in a while, but it still looks pretty relevant. Fishin' and fbaezer were in there, too.

'Nother discussion on the topic (sans such comparisons) here at A2K was in this thread.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 04:48 am
Quote:
The most obvious evidence of this failure is a "results-based" measure. A Gallup poll last August found that 53 percent of Americans believed that Saddam Hussein was "personally involved" in the massacre of September 11. Where did they get this idea, for which no evidence exists?

I have to pounce on this "evidence". The statement assumes a fact which is not otherwise proven; that being that these Americans formed their opinions based on media coverage. I suspect that many Americans pay only passing attention to news media, and form their opinions based on their own personal biases and discussions with others who are likewise poorly informed. I paid close attention to the media coverage of the war, and while I heard many mentions of efforts to find a link between Iraq and 9/11, I ALWAYS heard it reported that no credible link had so far been established. ALWAYS.
0 Replies