how can I do?

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 12:50 am
"...the agricultural operations around Montefiore were conducted without delay, each in its time. Therefore, the cook's augury of chicken livers predicting success, Vicente de Nevada organized a corpus of laborers to continue work on ditch digging at the far end of the green lake."
What does "the cook's augury of chicken livers" mean? What's that to do with digging a lake??
"Still considered an unacceptable landlord -- for the Spanish slant to his otherwise serviceable Italian -- de Nevada was tolerated but not admired."
What do "the Spanish slant" and "serviceable Italian" mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 435 • Replies: 2
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:11 pm
"Augury "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Augury is an ancient form of divination. The practice was performed in ancient Rome by priests called augurs. It entailed the interpretation of auspices, that is the movement of birds and/or the movement of animals. Also included in this form of divination was the interpretation of the significance of thunder and lightening. Those signs on the augur's left or east side denoted a favorable outcome, while those on the right pointed to an ill-omen. This method of divination was practically unknown in ancient Mesopotamia and Palestine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it looks to me as if predictions were being made based on what the chicken livers looked like to the cook ?
probably all done in a bit of comical and joking way .
notice the connection between "movement of birds" in the article and the "chicken livers" used by the cook - seems he didn't have a live bird !
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:36 pm
Re: how can I do?
liuwei851126 wrote:

"Still considered an unacceptable landlord -- for the Spanish slant to his otherwise serviceable Italian -- de Nevada was tolerated but not admired."
What do "the Spanish slant" and "serviceable Italian" mean?

People whose first language is spanish have relative ease in understanding and speaking the italian language compared to people who speak only english. However, the two languages pronounce some sets of letters differently, e.g., the word 'che', and will probably have different grammar uses on occasion. Further, there is a chance that they will mix up some words that are similar, yet still different.

I don't speak spanish, but know a little bit of it, and various friends of mine speak spanish well, so I am used to hearing them speak. In recent years I have learned to read and somewhat understand italian. I still have some spanish words come to mind when I try to think of what the italian word is for an object.

'Serviceable italian' means that you can get by in daily life in Italy - you will make mistakes but you can be understood. 'Spanish slant' probably means that the person will speak italian words differently than a native italian would, and that the errors (for example, in the pronunciation of 'che') might indicate one speaks spanish as a first language.
0 Replies