A 3rd party to build byte by byte?

mysteryman

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:06 am
Quote:
When the Christian far right felt that they wanted more influence... they didn't start their own party. Instead they put pressure on the Republicans and gave them a solid block of votes provided the Republicans give them goodies (like pro-life votes, school vouchers and gun rights).

Reread the constitution.

Gun rights are actually found in the 2nd amendment.
That was written long before there was a republican party.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:23 am
And. Mysteryman, the Christian right did not seem to be able to do much with the "pro-life votes"--They got hit with Roe Vs. Wade.
and as far as school vouchers are concerned--that is a joke. There are few real voucher programs operating in the US today.

Only a couple of states are mentioned as having School Vouchers.

Tested School Voucher Programs
Enabling poor families who meet specific income criteria, typically around 185% of the federal poverty limit, to direct funds set aside for education by the government to pay for all or part of tuition at the public, private or religious school of their choice.

Examples: Cleveland, Milwaukee, Colorado

Failing Schools, Failing Students School Vouchers
Allowing parents whose children are doing poorly in school or whose children attend failing public schools to direct the funds set aside for education by the government to send their child to a better performing public, private or religious school.

Examples: Florida's A+ Program, Colorado

Special Education School Voucher Programs
Allowing all parents with children identified as having special educational needs to direct public funds set aside by the government to send their children to a school of choice, whether that school is public, private or religious.

Examples: Florida's McKay Scholarship Program for Students with Disabilities

Tuitioning School Voucher Programs
Enabling parents who live in areas that do not operate elementary or secondary schools to send their children to public or non-religious private schools in other areas in the state, or even out-of-state, using the public funds provided by the child's home district.

Examples: Maine, Vermont

The Christian right didn't do so well, Did they, Mysteryman?!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:57 pm
princesspupule wrote:

I'd have to say I disagree w/your statement that the repubs differ little from the democrats... Their platform seems to be based upon imperialism, and keeping the power in the hands of their bunch of haves and have-mores. Sad

Both Parties have a vested interest in retaining control over the government. For more years than I care to count, the Democrats were in absolute control of both Houses of Congress. Do you think they sat around saying "Man, this isnt fair, we should see what we can do to share more power with the Republicans." or did they spend lots of time money and effort to keep control of the seats they held?

princesspupule wrote:

Time for a 3rd party again? Perhaps... But even more important, I would say it's time for every citizen to vote. What was the voter turnout last election? Not very great, if remember correctly...

Incorrect. Actually, by percentage, more voters participated in the last Presidential election than any election since 1968 and by pure numbers, more people voted than in ANY other election in this country's history.
Source:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:45 pm
Good point- Fedral- I am convinced that a good part of the irrational hatred by the left against President Bush and his administration comes from the fact that they held the reins of power so long in the House and the Senate--almost uninterrupted since FDR-- They put in so many left wing programs and Bureaucracies than our country is sinking under its weight.

It is pure hate and frustration on the left which fuels the Anti-Americanism which finds, unbelievably, some on the Internet who are on he far left who actually appear to be joyous when American Soldiers are killed in Iraq--Anything to denigrate President Bush....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:52 pm
Re: A 3rd party to build byte by byte?
princesspupule wrote:
http://q13.trb.com/news/la-na-unity5jun05,0,6312947.story?coll=kcpq-news-2

There's a new internet campaign to create a viable 3rd party in the U.S. for the 2008 presidential election. While it is an interesting premise, I doubt it will be successful. It hasn't worked in the past, and the new twist of using the 'net isn't really going to create the right impetus to get a 3rd party on the necessary ballots. Politicking involves more elbow grease and hands-on eyeball-to-eyeball contact, dontcha think? We aren't so far removed from community that such a scheme could really make enough difference, are we?

Two words:

RUNOFF ELECTIONS[/color]

We need a voter's bill of rights, and an guarantee that nobody need ever fear to vote for his first choice, at least on a first ballot, and that nobody will ever hold any public office with less than 50% of the vote.

I voted for Ross Perot twice, and that's largely because I never really had an inkling of how seriously messed up Slick was until around late 96 or 97.

Given the same choice today, I'd vote for George H.W. Bush or Bob Dole no matter how hard I had to hold my nose to do it, and brother that would be REAL hard.

The ONLY thing which could change that reality would be runoff elections.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 09:53 am
Be careful what you wish for Gunga.

In 1992, the Perot voters were voting against an incumbant president, with the full knowledge that these votes would help defeat Bush Sr. It is likely that many of them would have switched their votes for Clinton (or chosen not to vote) in a run-off. If just 35% of Perot voters voted for Clinton (which is not at all unlikely) the result of a runoff would have been the same-- namely 8 years of Clinton.

But the difference would come in 2000. This was the closest vote in history where the votes for Nader (a liberal favorite) would have almost certainly have gone in vast numbers to Gore.

So Gunga, your runoff election would have meant 8 years of Clinton, followed by at least 4 of President Gore.

Are you sure you like this idea?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 04:11 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Be careful what you wish for Gunga.

But the difference would come in 2000. This was the closest vote in history where the votes for Nader (a liberal favorite) would have almost certainly have gone in vast numbers to Gore.

So Gunga, your runoff election would have meant 8 years of Clinton, followed by at least 4 of President Gore.

Are you sure you like this idea?

I'd be willing to take my chances and I do not believe the idea would have gotten Gore elected in 00. I don't see any other way for a third party to ever have a chance in America anymore. I would never again be willing to vote for a third party candidate for anything without runoff elections other than for the occasional freak situation like you had in Minnesota with Jesse Ventura where the people are so totally fed up that it's clear a third party candidate could win.

By the way, Adlai E. Stevenson III was supposed to be some sort of a rising superstar in the de-mokkker-rat party, and a likely presidential candidate; whatever happened to him? He get put in some sort of rubber room or something after the showdown with Jesse?
0 Replies