call for help

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 01:28 am
antidisestablishmentarianism
Is this an English word?
If it is ,then what's the meaning?I'm confused.
Thanks. Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 444 • Replies: 3
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:11 am
Yes, its an English word. It pertains to a 19th/early 20th century British parliamentary dispute involving stae endorsement of the Church of England. See Online Etymology Dictionary:
Quote:
1838, said by Weekley to be first recorded in Gladstone's "Church and State," "in reference to a scheme directed against the Church of England," from establishment in the sense of "the ecclesiastical system established by law; the Church of England" (1731). Hence, establishmentarianism "the principle of a state church," and disestablish (1598) "to deprive (a church) of especial state patronage and support," first used specifically of Christianity in 1806. Rarely used at all now except in examples of the longest words, amongst which it has been counted since at least 1923.

See also Dictionary.com
Quote:
Main Entry: antidisestablishmentarianism
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: originally, opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England, now opposition to the belief that there should no longer be an official church in a country
0 Replies

zqbd 317 39134

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:02 am
Got it.Thanks a lot.I really appreciate it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 08:45 am
You're welcome. Glad to help, and thank you for taking the time and effort to reply. That's very much appreciated too.
0 Replies