Hello,I need your help.

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 01:08 am
Hello,everybody.I am a fresher in china.And I am english major.since I want to promote my english,I need your help.
my teacher told us to listen to VOA every morning,but I found there are so many new words for me.Can you tell me some words that usually used in VOA or BBC?
thank you.
I wish I can make friend with you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 427 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:32 am
Hi sprint, welcome to Able2Know.

Are you able to access the VOA and BBC websites? The stories they cover on the radio are usually on their websites as well.

http://www.voanews.com/english/portal.cfm

their Eyes on Youth page looks interesting

http://www.voanews.com/english/EyesonYouth.cfm

Quote:
From university youth to behind-the-scenes campaign staffers, from activists to candidates, young people are at work shaping their world. What drives them? What are their hopes and aspirations? In this weekly series, VOA reporters look at the issues affecting young people today.

~~~~~~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

they have a useful feature there - Learning English

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/

including Words in the News

click here

today's feature

Quote:
Learning English - Words in the News

31 May, 2006 - Published 10:57 GMT

Switzerland's secret weapon

With the World Cup only a couple of weeks away many people are preparing for a month's football watching. But what if you're not interested in football? Switzerland has come up with a surprising alternative.

This report from Imogen Foulkes:

Switzerland attracts thousands of holidaymakers every summer. But this year, Germany's hosting the World Cup and the Swiss Tourist Board is worried about loss of revenue - and so, its latest television campaign reveals Switzerland's secret weapon. Football widows take note: Switzerland isn't limited to beautiful scenery; it has beautiful men too ...
From smiling cable car attendants to sexy mountain climbers to ... yes ... farmers with a smooth line in milking and what's more, they're not that interested in football. Oliver Kirstalt of the Tourist Board insists this is a true picture of Swiss masculinity:

OLIVER KIRSTALT:

"It is a true picture of Switzerland. All the men are Swiss and are working in the real jobs and they're representing men in everyday Switzerland, yes ..."

The campaign has been tested on Swiss women and they love it. But while they like the marketing concept, they're not absolutely convinced these men exist:

SWISS WOMAN:

"Just go to the mountain and see the nice lakes and the view and the summits and there you might find a good man. But I wouldn't make too much ideas about that ..."

SWISS WOMAN:

"People out there in the world probably think about Switzerland as a conservative or more traditional country and I think this shows that we are the opposite ..."

REPORTER:

'But are Swiss men like that? Can I walk out in the street and find one like that?'

SWISS WOMAN

"Yeah, I guess so. Good luck ... " (laughter)

Well, a quick tour of the streets of Zurich reveals the sad truth that you can't believe everything you see on television. Still, if you want a break from football this summer, then Switzerland is waiting. Just one word of warning: a Swiss team has actually qualified for the World Cup - so those Swiss men, gorgeous or otherwise, might all be watching the match.

Imogen Foulkes, BBC News, Zurich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

loss of revenue
not getting money that was expected

television campaign
a series of advertisements on television

Football widows
women who can't have time with their husbands because the husbands are watching a lot of football

masculinity
the features and qualities of being male

the marketing concept
the idea behind the advertisements

summits
tops of mountains

conservative
with traditional, maybe old-fashioned attitudes

gorgeous
very attractive

you can listen to the story and read it at the same time

~~~~~~~~

Good luck with your English, and other, studies.
0 Replies

sprint516

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:50 am
Thank you very much for help.
It seems that a computer is a necessary stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:26 am
Hello again, sprint.

It is true that a computer, and access to the internet, makes research in a lot of areas faster and easier. You wouldn't have been able to ask your question without those two things.

Did the words in the article I posted help you? Are there other words you are looking for the meaning of?
0 Replies