SPOKEN ENGLISH

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 12:58 am
HELLO AL L
WHO KNOW THE DIFFERENT BETWEEN US&UK SPOKEN ENGLISH??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 500 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 01:52 pm
mysweetheart--

Welcome to A2K.

Your short question opens up a broad topic. The differences among English speakers of different countries are as great as those of Chinese people from different parts of China.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 02:15 pm
I think the Chinese have a big advantage on this one, Noddy. When they don't understand a dialect, they know about it right away. You can listen to the English, and Aussies for quite a while before you realize you haven't the slightest idea what they are talking about.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 02:34 pm
A good example of a huge difference between the two - my friend (yes it is really my friend not me) - went on her first trip to England all by herself. After her first day, she went to the B&B where she was staying. It was evening and needed to use the toliet. She asked the person at the B&B where he directed her to the bathroom. Upon opening the door she discovered it was a bathroom (bathtub - no toliet). She was so embarassed she simply went to bed without peeing and held it until the morning.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:00 pm
Linkat wrote:
A good example of a huge difference between the two - my friend (yes it is really my friend not me) - went on her first trip to England all by herself. After her first day, she went to the B&B where she was staying. It was evening and needed to use the toliet. She asked the person at the B&B where he directed her to the bathroom. Upon opening the door she discovered it was a bathroom (bathtub - no toliet). She was so embarassed she simply went to bed without peeing and held it until the morning.

Well how unusual, to have a bath in a bathroom. :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:11 pm
That is why my friend was so embarassed - to the point that she won't go back and ask for the toliet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:36 pm
I hear you, linkat. When I was in Germany, back when the earth was much younger, I learned to specify a room with a bath. This wasn't something you wanted to assume in the no star hotels I frequented. Sure enough - bath, but no toilet.
0 Replies

mysweetheart

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 11:18 pm
ok
thank you very much !
I'm glad to meet all of you!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 11:21 pm
Re: SPOKEN ENGLISH
mysweetheart wrote:
HELLO AL L
WHO KNOW THE DIFFERENT BETWEEN US&UK SPOKEN ENGLISH??

American English tends to depend on the part of the USA, you're from. Namely, New Yorkers don't sound like Americans from the South.
0 Replies