America to win World Cup 2006?

Tino

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:45 pm
detano inipo wrote:
Maradona was a strange superstar, having drug problems among other things. I never liked him; he dove too often.
If a player dives and fakes an injury, he loses all credibility.
OK, that is one fat footballer among millions. Anyone else?

Yes, Ronaldo, who is playing for Brazil [if you can call what he did tonight playing].

This is a guy who, like Maradona, seems to put on weight unless he trains constantly.

Notice how chubby his face gets as soon as he glances at a mince pie.

Some people are just built that way, whatever their proffession is.

Paul Gascoigne [formerly of England] had the same problem and was infact turned down down by soccer scouts when he was young because they thought that he was "too fat" to make the grade.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:38 pm
Tino,we are talking 'fat' here. These two have round faces but they are able to play 90 minutes.

I am thinking of the so-called 'football' players (NFL) who have 40 pound bellies hanging over their belts. They couldn't run for ten minutes without collapsing.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:58 am
They should do some training then. The only reason Ronaldo et al arn't that size is because they regularly do play 90 minutes and train for that end.

Have you seen the size that Ronaldo balloons upto whenever he's injured and can't train?Surprised
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
Why concentrate on one man who has a weight problem. He used to be the best, now he is just another player. He is still able to run for 90 minutes, tha is more than many athletes can do.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:48 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
As an aside, an interesting report in SPIEGEL online

Quote:
SPIEGEL ONLINE - June 13, 2006

CZECHS ON AMERICAN BUD
"It's Missing the Taste of Beer"

Anyone know the alcohol content of American beer?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:51 am
George wrote:
The Yanks are going all the way, baby.
ALL!
THE!
WAY!

I read something to the effect that they're supposed to be the 5th ranked team in the world? That's got to be a joke. I know NOTHING about soccer, but I saw the USA play against the Czech's, and they were awful even to my unknowledgable eyes.

They must get easy runs through qualifying because FIFA so desperately wants the game to gain popularity in that wealthy country.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:56 am
Wilso wrote:
George wrote:
ALL!
THE!
WAY!

I read something to the effect that they're supposed to be the 5th ranked team in the world?

They were even 4th in April :wink:

(Australia is 44th, Germany 19th, England 6th ...)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:58 am
FIFA rankings are done by a chimpanzee with a dart board...
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:04 am
Wilso wrote:
They must get easy runs through qualifying because FIFA so desperately wants the game to gain popularity in that wealthy country.

This strikes me as a very valid point.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:06 am
If there are 32 teams in the world cup then surly Australias ranking must be at least 32.

If enough monkeys throw enough darts they will probably get it right one year.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:17 am
dadpad wrote:
If there are 32 teams in the world cup then surly Australias ranking must be at least 32.

If enough monkeys throw enough darts they will probably get it right one year.

Anyone know what the actual formula is?
(The monkeys would probably do better.)
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:07 pm
detano inipo wrote:
Why concentrate on one man who has a weight problem. He used to be the best, now he is just another player. He is still able to run for 90 minutes, tha is more than many athletes can do.

I didn't know that I was "concentrating" on him.

Maradona and Paul "Gazza" Gascoigne were also mentioned, wern't they?

You seem determined to imply that soccer players are naturally thin people. That's just not true.

Some others who have struggled to keep their weight down [all English because that's the soccer players I know best] include Robbie Fowler, Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Moore, Richard Dunne, Malcolm MacDonald, Brian Kidd... sorry can't be bothered thinking of anymore. I feel sure a true soccer fanatic could carry on all day though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:20 am
George wrote:

Anyone know what the actual formula is?
(The monkeys would probably do better.)

Quote:
Taken into consideration for the ranking are all international-A match results over a time span of the last eight years:

World Cup finals matches World Cup preliminary matches FIFA Confederations Cup matches Continental championship final matches Continental championship preliminary matches Friendly matches

The ranking list is produced by a computer program which assigns a team points for every match, according to clearly defined criteria. The factors taken into consideration are:

Winning, drawing and losing Number of goals Home or away match Importance of the match (multiplication factor) Regional strength (multiplication factor)

For each team only the seven best results per year are given full weighting. Results from the past are given progressively less weighting year by year until after eight years they are dropped completely. In this way current success is rated more highly than past results.
[...]
The importance of a game is also considered - a World Cup encounter is weighted more heavily than a friendly match. The method applied here is to use a pre-calculated factor by which the points totals of a given match are multiplied.

The factors used are:

Friendly match x 1.00 Continental championship preliminary x 1.50 World Cup preliminary match x 1.50 Continental championship finals match x 1.75 FIFA Confederations Cup match x 1.75 World Cup finals match x 2.00

This means that qualifying matches are weighted 50% higher than friendlies, continental final round matches 75 % higher and matches during World Cup finals twice as much.

source
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:39 am
Thanks, Walter!
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Wilso wrote:
George wrote:
ALL!
THE!
WAY!

I read something to the effect that they're supposed to be the 5th ranked team in the world?

These FIFA rankings mean nothing. USA is getting the points thereby defeating teams like Dominican republic, Puerto Rico etc. It is based on the points the teams take for their local zone official games, means nothing about the teams ability.

And for the World cup.... don't you think you guys are a bit hurry? Football is not that deeloped yet in the USA. If Americans continue to have interest in football, as they started the last years, in 4 or 5 World cups, winning it will be something possible for them.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:41 am
USA team has no hope of winning and I would put a bet on that, they are a predictable training ground team. I would be surprised if they get past the first round, my money's on germany
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:46 am
BDV wrote:
USA team has no hope of winning and I would put a bet on that, they are a predictable training ground team. I would be surprised if they get past the first round, my money's on germany

They must win Italy if they want hopes to qualify. I don't think this is possible.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:53 am
Big match about to start USA vs Italy, any predictions ?

4-0 to Italy is my guess
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:59 am
Ellinas wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Wilso wrote:
George wrote:
ALL!
THE!
WAY!

These FIFA rankings mean nothing. USA is getting the points thereby defeating teams like Dominican republic, Puerto Rico etc. It is based on the points the teams take for their local zone official games, means nothing about the teams ability.

And for the World cup.... don't you think you guys are a bit hurry? Football is not that deeloped yet in the USA. If Americans continue to have interest in football, as they started the last years, in 4 or 5 World cups, winning it will be something possible for them.

They're ranked 5th now, and it's not so much a joke as a farce. That ranking puts them ahead of England, Argentina and Germany. Even I know enough about soccer to know that cr@p!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 12:20 pm
The question is, by how many points will USA lose to Italy?

I say 0:3.
0 Replies