How to handle a possible "fake" illness?

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:56 am
I called the school and I need to get approval from the principal. She is teaching a class so hopefully I will hear in about a half hour.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:11 pm
I'm with the rest of the Veteran Mothers. "Home from school sick" means staying inside, bed rest, no television, etc.

Surely the school has had experience with other dramatically gifted kids?

There are parents who will send their kids to school with stomach aches, ear aches, high temperatures and even acute nausea because they can't/won't make alternative care arrangements.

Obviously, you're not one of this vile breed--but they do exist.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:24 pm
Noddy I agree with you. When the secretary talked with me she said I agree your daughter should come back, but of course the principal must make that decision. When I left her the message I did say I understand why they have such a policy, but would like to discuss under these circumstances.

I also love your description "dramatically gifted!" Fills her to a T. Never met such a dramatic girl.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 02:59 pm
Quote:
There are parents who will send their kids to school with stomach aches, ear aches, high temperatures and even acute nausea because they can't/won't make alternative care arrangements.

I couldn't agree more, Noddy. And strangely enough, it is always a
stay at home mother who will send her child into school with high fever
and other ailments, instead of keeping it at home.

My daughter and three other classmates caught the flu from one of their classmates whose mother sent her anyway. Of course, I kept mine at
home, and she was so ill that she didn't want to do anything else but
sleep.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 04:19 pm
CJ--

I have to disagree about the "stay at home" mother sending her germy little darling off to share the wealth. I've personally known a handful of "career" women who are sure that their tax dollars provide child care five days a week whether the kid is sick or not.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:26 pm
I've known plenty of mothers who work outside the home who send their kids to school sick. It's easier than arranging other childcare or rescheduling their own day, as Noddy said.

These may be the same people who show up at work sick themselves. Damned germ-carriers!

Linkat, I have a suggestion for a bedtime story tonight. Read her "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:17 am
Well, the little darling is at school today. The principal agreed and also said that they would not call me so quickly next time. The nice thing was her first thought was that my child was upset about something in her classroom. One of the advantages to going to a smaller school - the principal knows each child personally.

My daughter does still say that her tummy really hurt in class, but she does admit that after being in the office a while her tummy did begin to feel better. She said she didn't tell the secretary because she was on the phone. I think my daughter was a bit too shy to let her know she was now o-k. We also talked about what she could do if she felt a little sick next time. Perhaps to rest a bit before asking to go home.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:00 pm
Linkat--

Thanks for the update.

Pity, isn't it, that some valuable learning takes place only after parental inconvenience?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:10 pm
If my daughter learns something from this - then a little inconvience is worth it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:55 pm
Linkat--

She will. You'll have hundreds and thousands of learning experiences together before she's grown.
0 Replies