Countless My Lai Massacres in Iraq

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:50 am
By Dahr Jamail
t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Tuesday 30 May 2006

The media feeding frenzy around what has been referred to as "Iraq's My Lai" has become frenetic. Focus on US Marines slaughtering at least 20 civilians in Haditha last November is reminiscent of the media spasm around the "scandal" of Abu Ghraib during April and May 2004.

Yet just like Abu Ghraib, while the media spotlight shines squarely on the Haditha massacre, countless atrocities continue daily, conveniently out of the awareness of the general public. Torture did not stop simply because the media finally decided, albeit in horribly belated fashion, to cover the story, and the daily slaughter of Iraqi civilians by US forces and US-backed Iraqi "security" forces had not stopped either.

Earlier this month, I received a news release from Iraq, which read, "On Saturday, May 13th, 2006, at 10:00 p.m., US Forces accompanied by the Iraqi National Guard attacked the houses of Iraqi people in the Al-Latifya district south of Baghdad by an intensive helicopter shelling. This led the families to flee to the Al-Mazar and water canals to protect themselves from the fierce shelling. Then seven helicopters landed to pursue the families who fled … and killed them. The number of victims amounted to more than 25 martyrs. US forces detained another six persons including two women named Israa Ahmed Hasan and Widad Ahmed Hasan, and a child named Huda Hitham Mohammed Hasan, whose father was killed during the shelling."

The report from the Iraqi NGO called The Monitoring Net of Human Rights in Iraq (MHRI) continued, "The forces didn't stop at this limit. They held an attack on May 15th, 2006, supported also by the Iraqi National Guards. They also attacked the families' houses, and arrested a number of them while others fled. US snipers then used the homes to target more Iraqis. The reason for this crime was due to the downing of a helicopter in an area close to where the forces held their attack."

The US military preferred to report the incident as an offensive where they killed 41 "insurgents," a line effectively parroted by much of the media.

On that same day, MHRI also reported that in the Yarmouk district of Baghdad, US forces raided the home of Essam Fitian al-Rawi. Al-Rawi was killed along with his son Ahmed; then the soldiers reportedly removed the two bodies along with Al-Rawi's nephew, who was detained.

Similarly, in the city of Samara on May 5, MHRI reported, "American soldiers entered the house of Mr. Zidan Khalif Al-Heed after an attack upon American soldiers was launched nearby the house. American soldiers entered this home and killed the family, including the father, mother and daughter who is in the 6th grade, along with their son, who was suffering from mental and physical disabilities."

This same group, MHRI, also estimated that between 4,000 and 6,000 Iraqi civilians were killed during the November 2004 US assault on Fallujah. Numbers which make those from the Haditha massacre pale in comparison.

Instead of reporting incidents such as these, mainstream outlets are referring to the Haditha slaughter as one of a few cases that "present the most serious challenge to US handling of the Iraq war since the Abu Ghraib prison scandal."

Marc Garlasco, of Human Rights Watch, told reporters recently, "What happened at Haditha appears to be outright murder. The Haditha massacre will go down as Iraq's My Lai."

Then there is the daily reality of sectarian and ethnic cleansing in Iraq, which is being carried out by US-backed Iraqi "security" forces. A recent example of this was provided by a representative of the Voice of Freedom Association for Human Rights, another Iraqi NGO which logs ongoing atrocities resulting from the US occupation.

"The representative … visited Fursan Village (Bani Zaid) with the Iraqi Red Crescent Al-Madayin Branch. The village of 60 houses, inhabited by Sunni families, was attacked on February 27, 2006, by groups of men wearing black clothes and driving cars from the Ministry of Interior. Most of the villagers escaped, but eight were caught and immediately executed. One of them was the Imam of the village mosque, Abu Aisha, and another was a 10-year-old boy, Adnan Madab. They were executed inside the room where they were hiding. Many animals (sheep, cows and dogs) were shot by the armed men also. The village mosque and most of the houses were destroyed and burnt."

The representative had obtained the information when four men who had fled the scene of the massacre returned to provide the details. The other survivors had all left to seek refuge in Baghdad. "The survivors who returned to give the details guided the representative and the Red Crescent personnel to where the bodies had been buried. They [the bodies] were of men, women and one of the village babies."

The director of MHRI, Muhamad T. Al-Deraji, said of this incident, "This situation is a simple part of a larger problem that is orchestrated by the government … the delay in protecting more villagers from this will only increase the number of tragedies."

Arun Gupta, an investigative journalist and editor with the New York Indypendent newspaper of the New York Independent Media Center, has written extensively about US-backed militias and death squads in Iraq. He is also the former editor at the Guardian weekly in New York and writes frequently for Z Magazine and Left Turn.

"The fact is, while I think the militias have, to a degree, spiraled out of US control, it's the US who trains, arms, funds, and supplies all the police and military forces, and gives them critical logistical support," he told me this week. "For instance, there were reports at the beginning of the year that a US army unit caught a "death squad" operating inside the Iraqi Highway Patrol. There were the usual claims that the US has nothing to do with them. It's all a big lie. The American reporters are lazy. If they did just a little digging, there is loads of material out there showing how the US set up the highway patrol, established a special training academy just for them, equipped them, armed them, built all their bases, etc. It's all in government documents, so it's irrefutable. But then they tell the media we have nothing to do with them and they don't even fact check it. In any case, I think the story is significant only insofar as it shows how the US tries to cover up its involvement."

Once again, like Abu Ghraib, a few US soldiers are being investigated about what occurred in Haditha. The "few bad apples" scenario is being repeated in order to obscure the fact that Iraqis are being slaughtered every single day. The "shoot first ask questions later" policy, which has been in effect from nearly the beginning in Iraq, creates trigger-happy American soldiers and US-backed Iraqi death squads who have no respect for the lives of the Iraqi people. Yet, rather than high-ranking members of the Bush administration who give the orders, including Bush himself, being tried for the war crimes they are most certainly guilty of, we have the ceremonial "public hanging" of a few lowly soldiers for their crimes committed on the ground.

In an interview with CNN on May 29th concerning the Haditha massacre, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Peter Pace commented, "It's going to be a couple more weeks before those investigations are complete, and we should not prejudge the outcome. But we should, in fact, as leaders take on the responsibility to get out and talk to our troops and make sure that they understand that what 99.9 percent of them are doing, which is fighting with honor and courage, is exactly what we expect of them."

This is the same Peter Pace who when asked how things were going in Iraq by Tim Russert on Meet the Press this past March 5th said, "I'd say they're going well. I wouldn't put a great big smiley face on it, but I would say they're going very, very well from everything you look at …"

Things are not "going very, very well" in Iraq. There have been countless My Lai massacres, and we cannot blame 0.1% of the soldiers on the ground in Iraq for killing as many as a quarter of a million Iraqis, when it is the policies of the Bush administration that generated the failed occupation to begin with.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,453 • Replies: 62
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:57 am
Try listening to NPR with a critical ear, and you'll find that the US media is not blind to the subject. It is clear that warlordism is overtaking Iraq, with armed gangs circulating freely.

However, I do not require that journalists sacrifice themselves by traveling into the wilderness.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:32 am
bookmark
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:23 am
http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,304284,00.jpg
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:08 am
You have balls to post that flag, but no balls with respect to telling us in your words how you feel.

Stop standing behind someone elses words and tell us how YOU feel.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:27 am
woiyo, that's all you got? Pretending you dont know what I think of Bushie's mass murder in Iraq? Bushie should rot in prison till he dies for his crimes against humanity. Blair too. As for the flag it's significant that it was published in the Times in London.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:45 am
Iraq PM impatient with US troops killing civilians
Tue 30 May 2006 11:50 AM ET

By Mariam Karouny

BAGHDAD, May 30 (Reuters) - Iraq's prime minister said on Tuesday his patience was wearing thin with excuses from U.S. troops that they kill civilians by "mistake" and said he would launch an investigation into killings at Haditha last year.

"There is a limit to the acceptable excuses. Yes a mistake may happen but there is an acceptable limit to mistakes," Nuri al-Maliki told Reuters when asked about a U.S. investigation into the deaths of 24 Iraqis in the western town last November.

"We are worried about the increase in 'mistakes'. I am not saying that they are intentional. But it is worrying for us," he said in an interview in his offices in Baghdad.
http://today.reuters.com/News/CrisesArticle.aspx?storyId=MAC048936
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:47 am
blueflame1 wrote:
woiyo, that's all you got? Pretending you dont know what I think of Bushie's mass murder in Iraq? Bushie should rot in prison till he dies for his crimes against humanity. Blair too. As for the flag it's significant that it was published in the Times in London.

Your usual "chicken" stance is to stand behind the words of others.

You're also irrational as usual.

For what cause of action(s) should Bush and Blair be sent to prison for?

The TIMES of London, if memory serves, did not have the balls to publish the cartoon of Mohammed, but they must be "busting a gut" disrespecting our flag. Do they have one like that of the ir own Flag? Probably not, since like you, they have no balls.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:53 am
woiyo, more chickenhawksh!t in defense of Bushie's war crimes.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 02:15 pm
In an occupied country it makes little sense to commit war crimes. For every civilian killed by US troops there will be hell to pay. Thousands have joined the insurgents because they lost a wife or a child that way.
Even when faced with the dilemma of terrorists hiding in local houses, it pays to be prudent. If you kill six terrorists and a dozen civilians die with them, you lose. The insurgents will get 60 new recruits who are willing to avenge the crime.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 04:50 pm
"The Girls Died Screaming" by Robert Dreyfuss
The slaughter of innocents in Haditha, Iraq, last November could make a final turning point in the U.S. war against Iraq. Representative John Murtha, the former Marine who has turned against the war, and bitterly, suggests that when the full truth is known about the Haditha massacre (note to media: please stop calling it an "incident") it will be "worse than Abu Ghraib." Indeed, and far worse.

Ellen Knickmeyer's on-the-scene piece from May 27 in the Washington Post describes in brutal detail how U.S. Marines entered home after home in Haditha, shooting babies. No doubt you've already read it, but here's a typical excerpt:

It was the home of 76-year-old Abdul Hamid Hassan Ali. Although he had used a wheelchair since diabetes forced a leg amputation years ago, Ali was always one of the first on his block to go out every morning, scattering scraps for his chickens and hosing the dust of the arid western town from his driveway, neighbors said.
In the house with Ali and his 66-year-old wife, Khamisa Tuma Ali, were three of the middle-aged male members of their family, at least one daughter-in-law and four children -- 4-year-old Abdullah, 8-year-old Iman, 5-year-old Abdul Rahman and 2-month-old Asia.

Marines entered shooting, witnesses recalled. Most of the shots -- in Ali's house and two others -- were fired at such close range that they went through the bodies of the family members and plowed into walls or the floor, physicians at Haditha's hospital said.

Ali took nine rounds in the chest and abdomen, leaving his intestines spilling out of the exit wounds in his back, according to his death certificate.

And this:

The Marines moved to the house next door. ...
Inside were 43-year-old Khafif, 41-year-old Aeda Yasin Ahmed, an 8-year-old son, five young daughters and a 1-year-old girl staying with the family, according to death certificates and neighbors.

The Marines shot them at close range and hurled grenades into the kitchen and bathroom, survivors and neighbors said later. Khafif's pleas could be heard across the neighborhood. Four of the girls died screaming.

So far, except for Murtha and a handful of others, there have few expressions of outrage from American politicians. (I did a search for "Hillary Clinton" and "Haditha" and it came up empty. Does anyone know if the warlike New York senator gives a damn about the innocents of Haditha?)

What strikes me is the parallel with the trial of Saddam Hussein. Saddam is on trial for war crimes committed in his name in a small Iraqi city. In that case, terrorists tied to the party of Al Dawa tried to assassinate the Iraqi leader. In retaliation, Iraqi forces are said to have killed scores of residents after arresting hundreds. So what, exactly, is the difference here? On behalf of President Bush, the U.S. Marines - whose culpability reportedly reaches far up the command - slaughtered dozens. Will the president be put in the dock, surrounded by Dick Cheney, Don Rumsfeld, and the rest? It's no wonder that in 2001 Bush opposed the International Criminal Court in the Netherlands. That ought not to stop the creation of a war crimes tribunal.

And I doubt Haditha is alone. The story was revealed at all only because Time magazine confronted the U.S. military with its own atrocity. How many more Hadithas are out there? Five? Ten? One hundred?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-dreyfuss/the-girls-died-screaming_b_21870.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 04:53 pm
Quote:
For every civilian killed by US troops there will be hell to pay. Thousands have joined the insurgents because they lost a wife or a child that way.

I've been saying this for years. We are creating our enemies faster than we can kill them.

The best thing we could do would be to leave. Up and leave.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:02 pm
Creating enemies is an old Bush/Walker family habit. I guess we all here have seen the list of past Bushie family business partners including Hitler, Saddam, bin Laden, etc, etc. It's what they do. Why anyone would think Bushie wants to win this war is beyond me. Cash flow is all that matters to this crew. Blood flow I think is a kick for them too. They have a kinky nature that's well documented.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:44 pm
bm
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 01:38 am
Why So Little Protest On Iraq?

CBS' Dotty Lynch On Theories On Low Anti-War Decibel Level
May 30, 2006

Quote:
I have always hated the explanation that student protests against the Vietnam War were motivated by young men who didn’t want to serve. For one thing, as a young woman who was passionately against the war, I knew that wasn't my motivation. And most of the male protesters I knew held strong, moral convictions against the war.

But as the war in Iraq rages on I keep asking myself: Where are the young people this time around? Where are the campuses? Where are the new Tom Haydens and Sam Browns and where are the Noam Chomskys, William Sloane Coffins and Daniel Berrigans?

For the past four months, I was at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, surrounded by idealistic young people and their liberal professors. There was virtually no support for the war (except for the offspring of a few famous neo-cons) but neither was there serious organized activity to try to stop it.

Large groups of students traveled to New Orleans to help rebuild it and another group went to Washington to protest the genocide in Darfur. But why so quiet about Iraq? Could it be because it seems abstract?

A new book by Kathy Roth-Douqet and Frank Schaeffer, "AWOL: The Unexpected Absence of America's Upper Classes from Military Service - And How It Hurts Our Country," deals with the small number of children of elites going into the military.

They says, for example, that 400 of the 750 members of the Princeton class of 1956 joined the military, compared to only nine members of the class of 2004. Speaking on ABC's "This Week with George Stephanopoulos," Rep. John Murtha pointed out that only 1 percent of the people in the United States are involved in the war and many of them go back over and over again.

Is that the reason for the lack of protest? Is it because so few Americans are personally impacted that the outcry isn't louder?

Or is it that Americans have become desensitized to gruesome pictures of the dark side of soldiers in war? The atrocities at Abu Ghraib and Haditha have shocked people for a few days but the images of My Lai are still seared in our brains. Will the words Abu Ghraib and Haditha bring back horror in 30 years?

Is it the lack of leadership from the Democrats who are still wringing their hands about the Vietnam syndrome? The Democrat who gave traction to the anti-Iraq movement, Howard Dean, has put his leadership of the Democratic wing of the Democratic party on hold to move on to a new life whose most controversial activity is giving money to red states.

John Murtha, a Democrat who doesn't have to worry about being called a wimp, and his friends, the military brass, see this war up close and personal and maybe that has given them the courage to speak out.

Murtha said Sunday that actions like the alleged massacre by the Marines in Haditha "erodes - this is the kind of war you have to win the hearts and minds of the people. We can't win this militarily. It's now got to be a political victory. And we're set back every time something like this happens. This is worse than Abu Ghraib.”

A book by Andrew Kohut and Bruce Stokes, "America against the World: How We are Different and Why We Are Disliked," documents the toll the war in Iraq has taken on the image of the United States around the world.

Analyzing data from 91,000 interviews in fifty nations and the Palestinian Authority from 2002 to 2005, the authors conclude that "America's reputation was badly soiled in Iraq." This is because "the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, at one time the main justification for the invasion, has undermined American credibility around the world. Beyond that, the war has deepened the foreign policy rift between American and Western Europeans, further inflamed the Muslim world, softened global support for the war on terrorism and significantly eroded public respect for the pillars of the post-World War II era, the United Nations and NATO."

People at CBS News were touched personally and deeply by the Iraq war on Monday. But must it take a direct a hit for all Americans to get engaged and demand a serious re-examination from those in power whose policies have caused so much bloodshed and damaged America's reputation around the globe?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
It looks like a war crime and the cover-up did not work.
There is a huge difference between the 'Einsatzgruppen' and the marines who killed the Iraqis. The German special commandos killed on orders from the very top. The marines were loose cannons and officers were probably not involved.
Nevertheless, they created in Iraq a new wave of hatred of anything American, that seems to be certain.
http://www.holocaust-history.org/intro-einsatz/
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:20 am
Remember this "mistake"? Video Contradicts US Military, Shows Iraq Wedding Celebration http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0524-02.htm
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:34 am
I remember when this happened. Nice cover-up by the Marines.

I wonder how many terrorist this incident made.

The Marines said they attacked it because it was a safe house. I guess whenever Marines decide to declare a house a safe house that automatically means any men, women and children that enter it are subject to the death penalty.

And we like to pretend we're the good guys.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:38 am
xingu wrote:
I remember when this happened. Nice cover-up by the Marines.

I wonder how many terrorist this incident made.

The Marines said they attacked it because it was a safe house. I guess whenever Marines decide to declare a house a safe house that automatically means any men, women and children that enter it are subject to the death penalty.

And we like to pretend we're the good guys.

You were not there and you have no idea what was going on around these brave soldiers.

Let the investigation conclude and if any solder acted improperly, all necessary punishment should be handed out.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:49 am
I wasn't there either, but I'm having trouble seeing how shooting unarmed people in their own home, one of whom was in a wheelchair, is an act of bravery.

The soldiers volunteered for that war and knew they were putting themselves at risk. The people in that house had absolutely no choice but to be where they were when they were. I hope to see punishment from the top to the bottom of the ranks for this incident.
0 Replies