Forrest Gump

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 01:44 am
Surprised There was an event about "desegregation" in the film <<Forrest>>,can you help me to find some materials to know more about ? I am in dire of it. Thank you very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 741 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:01 am
I suggest you mean to say that you are in dire need of it.

Forrest Gump, is, of course, just a movie, and not history. However, in the course of the movie, he attends the University of Alabama. While there, he witnesses the famous event during which George Wallace, the Governor of Alabama, stood in the doorway to the hall in which a young black woman wished to register as a student. The act was symbolic on the part of Governor Wallace, because he could not prevent her from registering, but he wanted white people in Alabama to know that he opposed the integration of the University of Alabama. He wanted only white students to attend the university, and did not want black students to attend.

National Public Radio in the United States has a web page about this incident--click here to see the page.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2003/jun/wallace/wallace_250.jpg

This is a famous photograph of "Wallace in the schoolhouse door."
0 Replies

pokernut951

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:59 pm
There was a documentary made in 63' that filmed the event with the story of Bobby Kennedy and George Wallace. It was done by ABC. It was called

"Crisis: Behind a Presidential Commitment"

Here's the IMDB link: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0263238/

You can probably buy it online.
0 Replies