refuse and reject

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 01:03 am
I couldn't tell "refuse " from " reject", can you help me?
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 804 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:20 pm
They're very similar. Can you provide some context?
0 Replies

perilette

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:24 pm
They mean the same thing in most contexts. Reject can also be used as a noun to describe someone or something that has been rejected.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:58 am
Quote:
re·fuse1 (rĭ-fyūz')

v., -fused, -fus·ing, -fus·es.

v.tr.

To indicate unwillingness to do, accept, give, or allow: She was refused admittance. He refused treatment.
To indicate unwillingness (to do something): refused to leave.
To decline to jump (an obstacle). Used of a horse.
v.intr.
To decline to do, accept, give, or allow something.

Quote:
re·ject (rĭ-jĕkt')
tr.v., -ject·ed, -ject·ing, -jects.
To refuse to accept, submit to, believe, or make use of.
To refuse to consider or grant; deny.
To refuse to recognize or give affection to (a person).
To discard as defective or useless; throw away. See synonyms at refuse1.
To spit out or vomit.
Medicine. To resist immunologically the introduction of (a transplanted organ or tissue); fail to accept as part of one's own body.
n. (rē'jĕkt)
One that has been rejected: a reject from the varsity team; a tire that is a reject.

It all has to do with the context of the sentence. In some sentences, the words could be interchangable. In others, not.

For instance, I might say, "I rejected the idea of getting up at 3:30 in the morning to go fishing, so I refused to go on the trip." If you reverse the words "refused" and "rejected" in this sentence, it makes no sense.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:11 am
I rejected the idea of getting up at 3:30 in the morning to go fishing, so I refused to go on the trip." If you reverse the words "refused" and "rejected" in this sentence, it makes no sense.

I refused to entertain the idea of getting up at 3.30 am to go fishing so i rejected the offer of going on a the trip.

Makes perfect sense to me PHX but as you say I have changed the context. context is the words,sentence and intent surrounding the passage

English is an awfull language.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:22 am
dadpad- English IS a very complicated language. I think that is why sometimes a foreign speaker will say something that sounds so peculiar to a person whose primary language is English. As far as language rules go, when the foreign speaker is saying may make perfect sense, but still is not correct.

It is a wonder that anybody can learn English at all! Confused
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:42 am
I learning from all these people that I don't know english. I reject to except that.

( I wonder how confusing even these two sentences are. Humour? irony? common improper usage?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:53 am
Amigo wrote:
I learning from all these people that I don't know english. I reject to except that.

( I wonder how confusing even these two sentences are. Humour? irony? common improper usage?

Accept Laughing
0 Replies