USA&UK English

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 10:58 pm
hello all
who can tell me the difference bwtween USA&UK English??
THANK YOU
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 503 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 08:54 am
Well, this topic appearing in humor is not entirely inappropriate.

Spelling is a noticeable difference--humor, for example, is spelled humour in Merry Old . . . here are some spelling differences:

US/UK

honor/honour
color/colour
center/centre
aluminum/aluminium (there is a pronunciation difference there, too)
draft/draught (same pronunciation--pronounced as the US version is spelled)

Additionally, several common terms are different. The storage area at the back of an automobile is know as a trunk in the US, and a boot in the UK. The cover of the engine compartment at the front is know as the hood in the US and the bonnet in the UK. In the US, fag is a contemptuous term for a homosexual, in the UK it is a common slang term for a cigarette. In the US, people refer to a person's posterior as the butt, in the UK, they use the term bum. (In the US, bum means someone who borrows things, and usually refers to a homeless person who attempts to get money or cigarettes from people.) Americans pronounce the word schedule as "sked-jew-al," the English say "shed-yule."

There are a great many differences, but largely they refer to usage or to slang terms. An American would say: "I was in the hospital for three days." An Englishman would say: "I was in hospital for three days." It's really hard to keep track of all the differences, because none of us common think about it. It usually only comes up when Americans speak to Englishmen or other speakers of English.

This thread (click here) was started long ago, more than three years ago, about differences in spelling. In another example from three years ago (click here), you can see that we often have fun with discussions about how silly the English language can sometimes seem. Sometimes, we discuss silly new versions of the language or of spelling, as in this example from three years ago (click here). About two and half years ago, i started a discussion of the English-speaking world (click here). Finally, we have the granddaddy of all the English language threads at this site--Pet Peeves (click here). If this does not actually help you, i hope that at least you are entertained.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 09:42 am
bravo set! Cool
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 12:50 pm
USA&UK English
Well, often spelling (as Setanta as pointed out) is slightly different, but the differences in the languages themselves are more subtle. Slang is more colorful in the US, for one thing. Names of things differ, also - "bonnet" (UK) of a car = "hood" (US).US "trunk" of a car = "UK "boot".

You can't really draw a distinct line, with the exception of spelling; it's a word-by-word thing.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 03:19 pm
when I was studying in England the one that sat me upright was "Give us a fag"
0 Replies

mysweetheart

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 12:48 am
thank you
thank you very much!! Smile
0 Replies