I'm newly here. Who can help me?

mks6891

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 01:31 am
Rolling Eyes I'm a little confused resently.Who can tell me the English saying of the Chinese four famous classics,I mean how to translate the four chinese title into English. Question GIVE ME A HAND!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 567 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:18 am
One source refers to: Dream of Red Chamber, Journey to the West, Legend of White Snake, Tale of Water Margin, Three Kingdoms, Strange Tales of Liaozhai and Jin Ping Mei. Another source lists the five classics, of which four are parts of the canon of Confucianism, and makes reference to a sixth: The Shu Ching, or The Book of Historical Records, this text describes events dating back to the third millenium B.C.E., and was written down during the Han dynasty (23-220 C.E.); The Shih Ching, or The Book of Odes, this contains poems dating back to 1000-500 B.C.E.; The I Ching, or The Book of Changes, dating to approximately 3000 B.C.E., this famous oracular book is one of the oldest sacred texts in the world; The Li Ki Part I and The Li Ki Part II, or The Book of Rites, this text describes Chinese religious practice from the eighth to the fifth century B.C.E.; the fifth classic (which we don't currently have translation of at this site) is the Spring and Autumn Annals, the Ch'un Ch'iul There was also a sixth classic, the Classic of Music (the Yüeh Ching), which was lost.

At this page one finds Chinese classics, without reference to a specific number. A book in English refers to the four classics as: The Art of War, I Ching, Tao Teh Ching, the Way of Chuang Tzu. This page at Wikipedia refers to four books and separately to five classics.

If you were able to give the names in roman characters, it might be possible to identify the names in English. My personal favorite Chinese book i do not find listed as a classic, although certainly it is, and that is The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the novel about the end of the Later Han dynasty.
0 Replies

mks6891

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:53 am
TO Setanta---my dear friend
I'M A Chinese girl. I'M very grateful to see your careful reply.Thank you for giving me so much useful information. You helped me a lot.Wish you great happiness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 07:15 am
You are very kind. I wish you great hapiness as well, and hope that you have many descendants who worship their intelligent and successful ancestress . . .
0 Replies