English; the official language of the USA.

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:28 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
dlowan wrote:
I am NOT a rodent. I am a lagomorph.
You are indeed. And quite tasty. My sincere apologies.

Graciously accepted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:31 am
Francis wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I am NOT a rodent.

I am a lagomorph.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I'm inclined to think she is of this kind: Pika

Should you choose to pika fight with me, may I suggest that you be prepared to follow it through to its conclusion.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:37 am
Let's start:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Ms_Brightside86/beo7y.gif

Stop, Bunny, I surrender!!!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:40 am
Francis wrote:
Let's start:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Ms_Brightside86/beo7y.gif

Stop, Bunny, I surrender!!!
you know even I cant watch that post for more than 10 minutes without having some sympathy with the one on the left.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:43 am
You're sadistic, Steve! Watching this for more than ten minutes, pfzzz!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 03:57 am
Re: English; the official language of the USA.
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Whilst the British are used to being told that if it wasn't for American help we might be speaking German or Russian by now, I respectfully remind Americans that if it wasn't for us Brits you would all be speaking French. You know, the language of the cheese eating surrender monkeys. C'est vrai.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have taken them 200 years to come up with decent coffee. I can't say the net impact of the British was beneficial.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:07 am
Re: English; the official language of the USA.
Thomas wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Whilst the British are used to being told that if it wasn't for American help we might be speaking German or Russian by now, I respectfully remind Americans that if it wasn't for us Brits you would all be speaking French. You know, the language of the cheese eating surrender monkeys. C'est vrai.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have taken them 200 years to come up with decent coffee. I can't say the net impact of the British was beneficial.
Actually I'm agreeing with you Thomas. If N America was French speaking with French cuisine, ettiquette (note French words Smile) culture etc, our world would be a better place imo.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:15 am
I'm intrigued by the headline on this thread, Steve. Surely you are aware of the fact that nobody in the USA speaks proper English? Official language? It's not even unofficial.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:34 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'm intrigued by the headline on this thread, Steve. Surely you are aware of the fact that nobody in the USA speaks proper English? Official language? It's not even unofficial.

Headline in The Independent Sat 20th May

Quote:
At last, America has an official language (and yes, its English)

Washington

In a new twist to the contentious immigation debate, the Senate has voted to designate English the national language of the United States, and to effectively ban federal government ordinances and services in any language other than English.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:38 am
It is certain that, were our antecedants Froggy, we would eat a great many more wabbits ! ! ! !
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:44 am
Setanta wrote:
It is certain that, were our antecedants Froggy, we would eat a great many more wabbits ! ! ! !

Cwap!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:53 am
Undoubtedly, Coney Island would soon have been bereft of coneys.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:55 am
Setanta wrote:
Undoubtedly, Coney Island would soon have been bereft of coneys.

How many did it have to begin with?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:20 am
Enough that Englishmen in the 1670's named it Coney Island.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:26 am
Now this makes sense

Had they called it Ile de Peau de Lapin, the history of the world would be quite different.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:31 am
Certainly . . . i cannot imagine ordering a frankfurter with cheese, chilil sauce and onions by requesting: "Gimme a ile de peau de lapin, and load on the onions!"
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:37 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Now this makes sense

Had they called it Ile de Peau de Lapin, the history of the world would be quite different.

Yeah! By now you could see there "la maƮtresse en maillot de bain"...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:40 am
Setanta wrote:
Enough that Englishmen in the 1670's named it Coney Island.

He said CONEY, not CONIES!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:42 am
Dieu merci that all this is now only to be found at that little bistro at Denver airport!

[Which reminds that I've got still my "departure formula I-94W (05-29-91). But since it's in German and German definetely isn't the official language of the Etats-Unis, I'll might have rightly ignored all those "Important Notices" on the backsite ...]
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:49 am
Setanta wrote:
Certainly . . . i cannot imagine ordering a frankfurter with cheese, chilil sauce and onions by requesting: "Gimme a ile de peau de lapin, and load on the onions!"
I could surely eat a peau de lapin right now, bye see ya later
0 Replies