could you help me ?

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:25 am
Smile Good afternoon!
can anyone tell me what is "Pandora's Box" ?
Thank you very much!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 461 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:49 am
The myth of Pandora's Box is a Greek myth explaining the origin of many ills in the world. As is common with such myths, it blames this on women!

This meaning is extended in modern usage:

Pandora's box

A source of unforeseen trouble, as in Revising the tax code is opening a Pandora's box. This equivalent for the modern can of worms comes from the Greek legend in which Pandora, entrusted with a box containing the world's ills, is overcome by curiosity and opens it, thereby releasing them. [Late 1500s]

Mythology
Pandora's box

In classical mythology, a box that Zeus gave to Pandora, the first woman, with strict instructions that she not open it. Pandora's curiosity soon got the better of her, and she opened the box. All the evils and miseries of the world flew out to afflict mankind.

To “open a Pandora's box” is to create an uncontrollable situation that will cause great grief.

Meaning #1: (Greek mythology) a box that Zeus gave to Pandora with instructions that she not open it; she gave in to her curiosity and opened it; all the miseries and evils flew out to afflict mankind

In some versions, hope remains in the box.
0 Replies

cumtlihuibbs

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:41 am
I know
Thank you very much!!! Laughing
0 Replies