New York Times Writer Lied, Plagarized

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:02 am
I was interviewed some years ago by a NYT reporter from the Science section of the Times. The reporter spent the entire afternoon with me and it was like taking you orals' over again. I was very satisfied with the article. Since that time, particularly in the last several years I've noticed the quality of the reporting has declined and several articles on people I know either personally or by reputation have been short changed by the Times's reporting. I think the current scandal is illustrative of a growing problem.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 01:07 pm
Quote:
If the bigwigs at the New York Times thought their headaches would start fading after Sunday's massive apology for a four-year rampage of bogus stories and plagiarism by reporter Jayson Blair, they were in for a big surprise.

David Letterman, Jay Leno, Jon Stewart and other comics have spent the better part of this week transforming the paper from respected journalism icon to national punch line. A sampling:

"A New York Times reporter who resigned after being accused of plagiarism may be paid as much as $1 million to tell his story in a new book. Not surprisingly, the book will be called 'The Autobiography of Ben Franklin.' " (Conan O'Brien)

"You know the old slogan of the New York Times, 'All the news that's fit to print'? They've changed it. The new slogan is 'We make it up.' " (Letterman)

"The former Iraqi minister of information has gotten a new job. He's the new fact checker for the New York Times." (Leno)

Comedy veterans and public relations gurus say they can't remember a mainstream newspaper ever attracting this kind of mockery. One says the jokes could do more damage to the paper's reputation than all the hand-wringing from journalism insiders. From an image standpoint, "it's much better to be hated than to be a punch line," says Eric Dezenhall, a Washington, D.C., damage-control consultant whose clients have included Arco Chemical Co. "I'm not as worried when Dan Rather attacks one of my clients as I am when Conan O'Brien does."

Unfortunately for the New York Times, the jokes didn't stop after one or two nights -- and the target quickly shifted from Blair to the paper itself. Letterman opened his Wednesday monologue with a jab at the Times. And Leno was still poking fun on Thursday, holding up a doctored copy of "The New York Once Upon a Times." Even nightclub comics have begun riffing on the topic, says Laugh Factory owner Jamie Masada, who heard several references to the scandal this week. "It's unusual for comics to be mocking a newspaper because nightclub and TV audiences don't read newspapers," says comedian Argus Hamilton. "If I asked a Comedy Store audience to tell me their favorite paper, it would be Zig-Zag."

All the jokes that are fit to tell
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 02:00 pm
I'm a subscriber to the Times -- have been for two decades -- and would have to nitpick a little bit on the assessment of its reporting. There are some first rate reporters -- off the top of my head, the Stephens (Labaton and Erlanger), Elizabeth Bumiller, Adam Nagourney (the one Bush and Cheney, in what they thought was a private moment, called an a**hole right next to a mike that was on), not to mention opinion writers like Krugman, Herbert, Frank Rich, and Kristoff. I think the paper needs a new editor, and I hate to say that because I always quite liked Howell Raines. But I think his desperate centrism has cut the wings off and the bird is having a hard time flying. There are a couple of good people in the wings, wanting the editorship. Be interesting to see what happens.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:37 pm
They are now discussing whether to correct the correction:

Quote:
Insiders say that the New York Times is preparing to make a correction on a portion of the massive correction it ran on May 11, regarding the fabrications, factual errors and plagiarism that appeared in disgraced reporter Jayson Blair's stories over several years.

The original 14,000-word correction and article ran on the front page of the Times.

But there is some contentiousness over how or even whether to publish a correction to the correction.

"One of the writers of the piece is resisting the correction," said an insider.

The story carried five bylines, and credited an additional two researchers. The resistance is said to be coming from reporter David Barstow - one of the five writers on the piece.

Reached yesterday, Barstow said, "I can't help you. Talk to the editors."

A Times spokeswoman declined to comment on the matter.

Un-be-freaking-lievable.

Of course, this is uncredited, and from the competition, so it could just be schadenfreude...

New York Post
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:50 pm
Sometimes when I'm in a part of the area where car radio reception is almost nil, I listen to Limbaugh. In the past couple of weeks he's been on a campaign against the NYTimes. I'm a little nervous about the possibility that smear may come into this -- not to say that the NYTimes hasn't erred badly and embarrassingly, but I'd hate to see a Condit/Monica campaign emerge from this simply because one section of media is being used against another.
0 Replies