Obesity and Pregnancy

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:12 pm
Didn't see Slappy, he was saying a lot of the same things.

There definitely are outside factors, too. It has a lot to do with predisposition, which still can be overcome. If people with a predisposition to obesity live in a culture where meals are healthy (and unhealthy food is not readily available, for reasons of economics, cultural mores, or literal access), they're gonna be healthier than average Americans.

I definitely think that people carry some responsibility for their weight and that it can't all be blamed on genetics -- just, it's not that everyone has to eat 10,000 calories worth of food daily (or even close) to be hugely fat. Some people who have normal lives are fat (and if they had a different genetic makeup and lived the same lives, wouldn't be), and then have to take extraordinary measures to stay thin.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:16 pm
Quote:
makemeshiver,
You mentioned that you didn't gain much weight with your pregnancy and lost a bunch of weight afterwards. Did you change habits while pregnant - is that why?

Hi flushd...to be honest, I really don't remember changing up my eating habits much. As the baby grows, it just seemed that my appetite was smaller...thats been...lol, almost 8 years ago. I do remember the awfullest case of morning sickness this side of the Mississippi..I was constantly puking my guts up...that might of had something to do with it...lol

Quote:
High five to MMS!!! Yeah, let's bust some of those myths. Like, for starters, the idea that it takes 10,000 calories a day to maintain a heavy weight. Hahahahaha!!!!! I nearly spewed Diet Coke all over my monitor when I read that one! When I was at my (non-pregnant) heaviest at 240, I couldn't lose weight on a 1,500 cal/day diet. I had to get it down under 1,000 to lose anything, and lemme tell ya, that is miserable.

Eva... >HIGH FIVE GIRL< LOL

Yeah...there are many days that I probably don't even consume 1500 or 1000 calories a day. I figure part of my problem is the fact that I don't eat much, therefore I don't boost my metabolism enough to kick it in. But then on the other hand, I'm extremely active, so it doesn't make much sense..

Quote:
And yes, Slappy, they make lots of sexy lingerie in a size 1X. Which should be good news to you since it will be increasingly difficult for you to find size 4 women as you get older.

HA!....yep, they make lovely lingerie in 1X....all colors and prints...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:24 pm
Well, now they do. Rather recent, that lingerie, based on economic need for the seller.

I agree with Soz down the line.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:41 pm
Slappy
Quote:
Eating under 1,000 calories a day isn't healthy or good for losing weight either. Even if you're overweight, you want to eat 5-6 small meals a day to kickstart your metabolism.

But yes, obviously genetics plays a huge part. Some people will never be "fat," and some people will never be skinny. People still blame, or at least, believe genetics play a bigger part than they actually do in most cases. Look at the people in Japan for instance...obesity isn't anywhere near as common. One quick look at their diets explain why. Americans don't have a basic grasp of how to formulate a healthy diet.

And no, I'm not "sensitive" to it. As long as you're happy, I don't care how much someone weighs. If you're not happy, then do something about it. I did the opposite: went from being a complete bone-rack and put on 50lbs of lean weight over the last 7 or so years. It's no easier than losing weight.

Good post Slappy, yes I agree with you. And I do believe that genetics do play a part in our ability gain/loose/hold weight.

And I also know people that can't gain weight if they wanted too, its wierd how our bodies behave.

Soz
Quote:
I definitely think that people carry some responsibility for their weight and that it can't all be blamed on genetics -- just, it's not that everyone has to eat 10,000 calories worth of food daily (or even close) to be hugely fat. Some people who have normal lives are fat (and if they had a different genetic makeup and lived the same lives, wouldn't be), and then have to take extraordinary measures to stay thin.

Soz..agree also. We all do carry the responsibility for our weight....some is genetic..some isn't. I don't think I could even fathom the idea of eating 10,000 calories a day, but I soppose there are people that do it.

I think I fit into the "normal" catergory..lol, whereas I lead a normal life, but can't seem to loose the weight..

* The funny thing is this, I ...who am overweight, and seem to be somewhat prejudice towards those that are greatly obese. I'm not talking in the 200 pound range. I'm talking over 300 pounds and bigger. It just annoys me to no end to see them buying Big Macs...and then complain that they can't loose weight. (eye roll) One Big Mac is the equivalent of a full days calories...plus more fat than average.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:03 pm
I agree with everyone. I think most of us are on the same page here.

For the record, I cannot do anything about my metabolism. I had thyroid cancer some years ago, and now have no thyroid left. Not a single cell. (The thyroid is what regulates metabolism, among other things.) My metabolism is completely controlled by the little blue Synthroid pill I take every day. I have blood tests every 3 months to make sure the levels stay where they're supposed to be. I cannot vary the dosage and wouldn't want to. If I changed it enough to speed up my metabolism, all sorts of other things would happen, too. Unpleasant things, to say the least. So my situation is a little complicated.

My point is, there are lots of different situations out there. It's best not to jump to conclusions about people's weight.

NOTE: Osso, I think the availability of attractive clothing in larger sizes is directly related to aging baby boomers. There are so many of us! We're mostly in our 50s now, we have some money, and we're not averse to spending it on ourselves (like our parents were.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:04 am
Right, Eva.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 04:34 am
Good Morning All.

I was using the "10,000 calories a day" as an exaggeration.

I know you can be overweight and consume very little in calories.

Flushd knows what I'm talking about.......someone who's morbidly obese because they consume a large amount of calories each day that keeps them morbidly obese.....not the usual 2,000-2,500 but lots (won't mention a number) more.

Just a regular, eats way too much, eats crappy foods on top of it, happened to get pregnant, really really obese person. The type you see eating tons of food in restaurants, not picking at a salad.

Just eating healthy for the babys sake looks like they'd at least stay the same weight during pregnancy, if not loose.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:17 pm
I subscribed to the Weight Watcher's Magazine for a time. They give space to stories of spectacularly successful dieters (results not typical) and I remember reading several stories about obese-but-losing women who gained little or no weight during pregnancy.

I've also seen photographs of pregnant women in times of famine--skin and bone and big bellies.

Granted the children of these starving mothers are born high risk, but a dieting mother (on a balanced diet) can't damage her baby because the baby will take what nourishment the baby needs.

Our affluent society is just starting to recognize obesity as a major health problem. I'm guessing in the next five years there will be a lot of research done about obesity and pregnancy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:29 pm
I'm not sure about "can't" -- I'm pretty sure that dieting while pregnant is discouraged.

Some Google search results:

Quote:
But equally, it's important that you don't try to diet when you're pregnant.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/pregnancy/whenyrpregnant/

Quote:
You might also need to make some changes if you follow a vegetarian or weight-loss diet.

http://familydoctor.org/076.xml

Quote:
How much weight should I gain during pregnancy?

About 25 to 30 pounds. If you don't weigh enough when you get pregnant, you may need to gain more. If you're very heavy when you get pregnant, you may need to gain only 15 to 18 pounds.

Pregnancy isn't the time to diet! It's best to gain about 2 to 3 pounds during the first 12 weeks and about 1 pound a week after that. Talk to your doctor about how much weight you should gain.

http://familydoctor.org/053.xml

Quote:
An average-sized woman will probably gain 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy. Too much weight gain, or too little, can put you and your baby at risk. Though your appetite will increase, try not to overeat. Don't diet and never skip a meal. Even if you are not hungry, your baby is.

http://www.hmhb.org/pregnant.html#nut

That was just the first four results for "should you diet if you're pregnant?"

And more specifically (should've looked for this first),

Quote:
Certain things related to your health could put your unborn baby in danger. Some of these things include drinking alcohol, taking drugs, smoking, dieting, and poor health practices.

-snip-

DIETING

* Some popular diets are not good for a women having a baby.
* Some examples are low sugar diets, high meat diets, diets where you don't eat, and liquid meat diets.
* If you are heavy at the same time you are having a baby, do not try new diets, and do not take off weight.
* A women on a diet may cause her baby to be smaller and lighter in weight.
* Dieting during pregnancy, even for a short time, is harmful to your unborn baby.
* If you don't eat meat, you may need help in planning your meals.
* It's important to include milk, other dairy foods, and eggs in your diet. These foods are good substitutes for meat.
* You may also need to take a vitamin B-12 pill.
* Talk to a doctor or registered dietitian about the food you eat.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5295.html
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:54 pm
Soz--

Good points.

I should have mentioned that the Weight Watcher Women were closely monitored by their doctors since their pregnancies were expected to be difficult because of their obesity.
0 Replies

LeilaJoy

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:54 pm
There are so many misconception about pregnancy out there (pun intended) I have three children. and yes I am over weight probably obese but hey I still get around and I am married so it wasn't like my husband wasn't in the room when I got pregnant. So yes even fat people get pregnant. Yes there are some major health concerns but keep in mind that these problems can happen to anyone who is pregnant but the risks might be slightly greater if the mother is overweight to start with, such as hypertension and diabetes. Both problems that I had while pregnant. Although I did not give birth vaginally not for lack of trying on the first two labours, all three babies were born by c-section. This was not because I was fat but because my body could not accommodate my sons large heads!!. All the babies were healthy and strong. Being overweight should not be the major factor on someone getting pregnant and having a child but whether they can be good parents. There are some really great fat parents out there. I believe that I am one of them. I chase after 3 boys and am very active and was so during all of my pregnancies. FYI, this last pregnancy I was pregnant at the same time as our local aerobics instructor, our due dates were the same day. Our babies were born a week apart and despite my size I was in better shape then she was and recovered quicker from my c-section then she did from an uncomplicated vaginal birth. So in my opinion size really doesn't matter.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:25 pm
>Hi Five!!< Leila

Nice to meet you also.....
0 Replies