Some Greek Help

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 07:18 am
Hi.

I was searching for some eye-related Greek words when I came across some confusion.

You see, I've been told that

Eye can be translated to opt, op, ophthalmos, ammati, even mati, matiasis and Vaskania.

Thing is, I'm not sure which is correct and what each of those mean.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 793 • Replies: 3
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:22 am
I dunno either, but if Slappy or Lord E get an eye on this topic title, the results could be ugly Laughing
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:37 am
These facts may or may not be helpful.

"vaskania" is eye related, I suppose. It means the "evil eye" which is a kind of curse feared by superstitious people. Also it is the name or title of a prayer used to protect against the evil eye.

In many Greek villages, there exists the superstition that when a man sees his fellow man having more wordly possessions than he does, he wishes for that person to be deprived of those possessions. This superstion is known as vaskania or matiasma and is so strongly imbedded in people's soul that even the church has created blessings to ward off vaskania.

"mati" is modern greek for eye. It is also sometimes used to refer to the evil eye.

"matiasis" is the plural of mati I think. (ie it means "eyes")

"opthalmos" is ancient Greek for eye.

opt- and op- are word roots in english and many other languages, which form the start of eye related words.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
Contrex is right in everything except matiasis. This is not the plural of mati - matia is eyes. There is no such a word, except if you ment matiasma.
0 Replies