JUNK FOOD BANNED IN SCHOOL MEALS

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:14 am
This'll please the better half!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4995268.stm

JUNK FOOD BANNED IN SCHOOL MEALS

"School dinners in England will be free from chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks and "low-quality" meat from the autumn, the government has announced.
Education Secretary Alan Johnson has published nutrition guidelines banning meals high in salt and fat.
These would "undo decades of neglect" and improve pupils' health, he said.
The standards, based on recommendations by the School Meal Review Panel, follow a campaign by TV chef Jamie Oliver to improve the quality of school dinners.

Fruit and vegetables

From September, caterers will ensure "high-quality meat, poultry or oily fish is available on a regular basis", the Department for Education and Skills said.

Pupils will get "a minimum" of two portions of fruit and vegetables with every meal, while deep-fried food will be restricted to two portions per week.

Fried products will be down to twice a week and certain other elements are being banned from vending machines.

Mr Johnson said: "These new standards will start to undo decades of neglect and ensure that healthy eating is the norm in every school.

"Providing pupils with a healthy balanced meal that will give them the energy, vitamins and minerals they need to learn and play is essential, but we will go further, helping schools to teach every pupil skills in diet, nutrition, practical food preparation and cooking to ensure they make the right choices throughout life."

Last year the government promised £280m to improve school meals, following Mr Oliver's campaign.

Nutrients

This is aimed at ensuring a minimum of 50p per head for school meal ingredients of in primary schools and 60p for secondaries.

From 2008, primary schools will be told to impose "more stringent nutrient-based standards" - stipulating vitamin and mineral content.

FOODS TO BE BANNED
Burgers and sausages from 'meat slurry' and 'mechanically recovered meat'
Sweets including chewing gum, liquorice, mints, fruit pastilles, toffees and marsh mallows
Chocolates and chocolate biscuits
Snacks such as crisps, tortilla chips, salted nuts, onion rings and rice crackers

Secondary schools will follow a year later.

Kevin McKay, the chairman of the Local Authority Caterers Association, told Five Live what the guidelines would mean in practice.

"Certain things like fried products will be down to twice a week and certain other elements are being banned from vending machines; confectionery, snack sales, those areas," he said.

"And then what we're expecting is to have some nutrient-based standards; a meal will have to meet certain regulations as far as the nutrients, so we're talking levels of iron, calcium and fat levels."

A Soil Association report suggests spending on ingredients by primary schools has increased from an average of 47p per pupil per day in 2005 to 51p this year.

LIKELY TO BE EXEMPT
Bread products such as crumpets, English muffins, bagels and croissants
Cakes and biscuits made fresh by school caterers, digestive and ginger nut biscuits, cake bars, iced buns and doughnuts
Yoghurts
Dried fruit, unsalted nuts, peanut and raisin mixes and unsalted popcorn

But some are still spending as little as 41p per child per meal, according to its survey of 74 local authorities in England.

The number of obese or overweight children in Britain aged between two and 15 has risen to about 30% in recent years.

Meanwhile, poor diet accounts for around a third of deaths from cancer and heart disease.

The consumer group Which welcomed the new guidelines, but warned that children were still vulnerable to marketing tactics from the food companies.

"Unless there are tighter restrictions on the way companies market unhealthy food to children, it will be hard for parents to reinforce the healthy eating messages out of school," said Which chief policy adviser Sue Davies.

Mick Brookes, leader of the National Association of Head Teachers, has blamed schools' "gastronomic Puritanism" for encouraging children to eat at nearby chip shops instead.

The teachers' union the NASUWT said the recommendations would make a "valuable contribution to improving the health and wellbeing of youngsters".

But it too expressed concern about the "increased bureaucratic burdens".

Plans elsewhere in the UK

The School Meals Review Panel first outlined its recommendations last autumn, following Mr Oliver's campaign.

The Scottish Executive is also planning to ban junk food from schools and to create a law encouraging more pupils to eat school meals.

In Wales, a working group on nutritional standards is due to publish a report next month.

A Welsh assembly government spokeswoman said it would use its powers "to take junk food out of our schools".

Northern Ireland's education department has put out proposals for public consultation."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,007 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:26 am
They did a series on the teevee here, in which Jamie Oliver would go around to families, and "re-do" their customary diets. He's an interesting joker, and i was surprised at how easily he convinced children to take up the healthy diet he was pushing. Of course, we don't know what happened when they left with the cameras.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 07:35 am
Between you and me Set, my wife taught at his school, the year he was about to leave.

She never taught him, but his wife was one of her pupils. She would recognise my missus (and then probably run away screaming).

His Dad owns a pub in, or near Clavering ("The Cricketers", I believe). A beautiful old Tudor building that looks out over the village green and cricket pitch.
Jamie, after he had gone through his training in London, came back and re-jigged his Dad's pub grub menu. He worked with the pub chef for a while, and within weeks, the place was packed. This was about two years before he found fame, so the kid has talent.

Academically, he was a nightmare. Much better at vocational studies, which included cooking lessons. I think my wife said that he was about the only boy that had ever opted to do cookery.

His teacher who first taught him how to cook, must now be very proud.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:02 am
What I don't understand is why "cake bars, iced buns and doughnuts" are exempt, whilst rice crackers (which are pretty fat free) aren't... What I also don't understand is what the Hell kind of school has rice crackers in their vending machines, anyway.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:27 am
bm
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:32 am
I dont know about britain but in Sweden where my daughter was for a year the kids just go to maccas if they dont want to eat the school food.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 06:45 pm
That's good to see the UK is getting into the act, helping students eat healthier.

I'm surprised that rice snacks and some sorts of crisps are not excluded either. They can actually make you hungrier because they break down glycogen in a way that spikes your blood sugar...then again, its a choice between evils, isn't it? It's not the worst thing you could eat that's out there.

Its important for ALL children (not just ones in the US or UK) to eat well and learn that they need to exercise. There should be a movement in countries with high obesity rates towards taking a much more...holistic approach to nutrition and diet.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 07:00 pm
In Connecticut, after moving heaven, earth and beating off a pack of lobbyists, the State Legislature band soda (Coke Pepsi etc) from school lunches and vending machines this year. What they were doing there in the first place is beyond me as they were not allowed when I was in school too many years ago. Removing candy and other sugar saturated food has proved politically impossible at the moment.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 09:53 pm
I stand behind the decision to reduce the amount of junk food our schools allow the children....and for various reasons.

Our school here had removed the junk food and cola's from the respective places throughout the school two years ago. But still allowed them some fried foods. This year, they have basically cut them completely out, except for once a week..maybe.

But, when our schools are sopposedly providing veggies in place of fried foods, I don't see ketchup as belonging to that food group. And I have seen that done. Thats called pathetic, thats called penny pinching, and sending kids home hungry...where it might have been the only hot meal they will get in that days time.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 07:17 pm
I think one of the reasons why CT's schools where able to do that is because overall, CT is a little more cash flush than your average state. They don't absolutely NEED the corporate funding from snack companies in order to operate. That said, there are many more schools across the US (and possible some in CT too) that really do need that money and it may not be an option to renege on their contracts with snack food providers.

Therefore, its THAT much more important to make sure that at least SOME steps are being made towards educating children (and for that matter, even their parents) on healthy eating habits and exercise!
0 Replies