please give me some advice

cibear

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:02 am
Hello, every one, English is not my mother tongue, I have learnt English for nearly 10years, now, I can read English newspapers as well as articles, and writing in English is not difficult for me, either. The problem is I can not use English to communicate with others smoothly, I want to improve my spoken English urgently, what should I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 744 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:38 am
Where are you from?
Where do you live?

Check if there are English speaking communities in your area, or join a Communication Class if available.

You only improve your spoken English, if you speak English.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:40 am
Bohne wrote:
You only improve your spoken English, if you speak English.

Judging by a large slice of the general public that I come into contact with, even that doesn't help sometimes! Laughing
0 Replies

cibear

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:50 am
I am from China, living in Beijing now. I could meet some foreigners who speak English in the street, but I am too shy to talk with him or her, and I think it is not polite to talk with someone if you just want to improve your spoken English. Any other ways?
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:01 am
You don't have to speak with them JUST for the sake of learning.
You could make some nice friends at the same time.

Not sure about Beijing, but there are Irish Pubs almost all over the world now, that might be a good place to meet people.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:08 am
Personally, if I was a tourist in a foreign land, I'd be thrilled if someone approached me who spoke English! I'm sure I'd have a million questions, so our conversation would be mutually beneficial. You'd get to practice English and I'd get directions to the local attractions or learn about your favorite restaurant which I otherwise might not know about.
0 Replies

cibear

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:10 am
Irish Pubs? I don't hear of that, but thank you for your advice, I will try my best to learn English well.
Thank you Bohne!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 04:41 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Personally, if I was a tourist in a foreign land, I'd be thrilled if someone approached me who spoke English! I'm sure I'd have a million questions, so our conversation would be mutually beneficial. You'd get to practice English and I'd get directions to the local attractions or learn about your favorite restaurant which I otherwise might not know about.

I agree Very Happy - they'd be able to ask you about places to see and you'd be able to help advise on all sorts of local things for them, so I'm sure they'd love you to talk to them.
0 Replies