Joined up writing.

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:48 am
A while back I read my old school reports and surprisingly the insults stuck with me.
The ones about how bad my handwriting is stays with me, they said my writing is awful because i dont do joined up writing.

Ive just tried to do joined up and I dont think im doing it correctly, Im sure ive forgotten how to connect the letters up.

Do any of you write in single letters?Has anyone complained?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 780 • Replies: 10
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 10:01 am
My daughter is learning cursive writing and, after trying to help her with her homework, I've realized that-- except for my signature-- I simply don't write in cursive anymore. It's all computer generated or simple printed notes or lists.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 10:05 am
I do the combo thing, a little joined up, a little printed-- I don't think people with creative tendencies can stick with the "perfect" script we're taught in school. It's too repressive! Very Happy

I have my own ideas about what looks good in handwriting, so I do it however I think looks nicest. Some letters are pretty in cursive, some aren't. Even my signature changes every few years when I come up with a way I like better.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 10:21 am
Sometimes I find myself starting to write in capitals then in the same word it changes to lower case then back again.

I just dont think I can make up my mind.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 10:48 am
Handwriting shows a lot about yourself.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:23 pm
I've actually studied handwriting but it was a long time ago. CJ is right - it does show a lot about you, and shows about how you're feeling the time of writing.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 03:05 am
So does that mean Im completely confused?!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 03:44 am
There are two tests regarding handwriting: 1) Can you get your thoughts on the page efficiently, and 2) can you or anyone else read the results?

We keep a notebook at work to jot down items that need ordering. Two or three times a week we have a little "What the hell does that say?" meeting. More times than not, the author can't read it either.

Write the letters clearly, write the thoughts as clear.

Joe(Is that a "b"? I have a gub. What's a gub?)Nation
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 03:47 am
I write mostly in capitals - precisely for the reason Joe mentions - so I can read it.

I have the most appalling cursive writing - it's the only subject I ever failed at school (45% back in year 5) - still bitter about it....

I can touch type 60wpm - I'll race any of you script writing elitist scum any day.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 03:59 am
I think in Germany they actually do single letters now before they do joined up.
28 years ago we learned joined up writing, and I am sure I could still do it now, if I wanted to!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 11:10 am
You have to look at more than one aspect of the handwriting, MG, such as spacing, slant, angle, height and depth of loops, size of capital letters, whether o's and a's are open, closed, or looped, whether you start your letters with a little hook, how you dot your i's and where the dot is, ditto with the bar on the t's, if your letters are angular, rounded, etc... You cannot take one thing, like mixed up letters, in isolation... and many times how you write today is not necessarily how you'll write tomorrow... some of it is mood-dependent, such as the slant... that's usually associated with emotion - how you're feeling - upbeat, depressed, etc., but again, not in isolation.

You can, however, tell if someone's a liar or if they're loyal, if they're creative thinkers, or if they're lazy.... you can tell a lot from handwriting; it's as individual as a fingerprint.
0 Replies