Climate Change must be tackled NOW

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 02:33 pm
These are the annual brush (not forest) fires are unfortunately a part of the Southern California basin ecology. Not that they might be caused by firebugs but the historical records prove this "burning off" has occurred through many thousands of years before there was even one human enjoying the otherwise inviting climate. I'm still curious about those who deny any evidence of global warming and have long ago marked it off as denial. Denial may even overflow.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 03:55 pm
According to both the EPA and the IPCC, the measured amount of forest fires has never been as high as in the past 20 years. Readings don't go back long enough to have statistical significance, but still, more fires concur with all the other portents of global warming.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 05:08 pm
That could be due to almost anything -- a growing incidence of arson for one. It's unfortunate that so much of the evidence has to bide out time but I'm satisfied that this administration has admitted that global warming is seen as a problem, not for any hypothetical pictures of disaster but because it could impair the future quality of life on this planet. It does go along with the air choking you or the water poisoning you. I don't care what they say about water quality -- tap water nearly makes me gag. They consistently come up with these "studies" that tap water is universally as pure as bottled water. What bottled water? And tap water where? Try drinking water around my locale and the petroleum-like odor alone would turn your stomach. I'm just curious where some of these people live who are completely secure with the qualtiy of the environment.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 05:09 pm
(I guess we should all move there! On second thought, I don't believe I would want them as neighbors).
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:06 pm
Quote:
Both the Grand Prix blaze and the "Old" fire, named for the Old Waterman Canyon where it started, were believed to be the work of arsonists, state fire officials said. California scorched by major wildfires

Salon has featured a story a few months ago on black helicopters hovering low over forest villages right before the fires broke loose. Locals are convinced the CIA is involved.

Oh, here it is: Black copters over Oregon
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:43 pm
SEVERE WEATHER STORIES
i'm very intrigued by all kinds of "severe weather stories" and have a hard time tearing myself away from the weatherchannel. i can even be found browsing the weathersites of other countries; i find the german site is particularly good since it also includes web-camera shots (probably have nothing better to do.( i really should be sorting my socks - but that is another story). here is a good site by environment canada dealing with severe weather events; i hope some of you will enjoy visiting it. www.ec.gc.ca/press/2002/021227_n_e.htm should you be visiting it, i'd recommend you also go to the TOP TEN SITE.. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 04:55 pm
david phillips, senior climatologist, environment canada(the fellow mentioned in the previous entry) is a "regular" on the canadian weather channel. i find he has a good way of putting things into perspective. recently he gave an interview and stated his views on global warming. while he is quite concerned about global warming, he stated that it is rather difficult to know what the causes are (he thinks there is more than one). what concerns him most however is the contamination of the world's groundwater supply. he believes that mankind will be able to deal with "moderate" flactuations in temperatures, but feels very strongly that contamination of groundwater supplies can likely not be reversed.(if there is a major change in temparature, for whatever reason, we are all going to be toast or frozen lollipops anyhow).hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 05:43 pm
an article in the magazine "deutschland"(the offical magazine of germany and the german government) recently featured an article dealing with the research at german universities concerned about a possible COOLING of the gulfstream. it is feared that a longterm cooling of the gulfstream could make large parts of northern europe uninhabitable. one reason for the possible cooling is attributed to the increased inflow of water of lower salinity into the gulfstream. there are some interesting german sites dealing with climate and climate change by the german ministry of the environment; would love to translate them ... have i got long enough to live ? i would suggest you ask your local public library to order a subscription to the DEUTSCHLAND magazine; i'm quite sure it is free for public institutions(it's published six times a year in fourteen languages). the magazine can be ordered by contacting [email protected] there is a wealth of articles in every issue dealing with a great varity of subjects. hbg
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:02 pm
Turns out some teenage boys are the likely arsonists that started the latest tragic Southern California brush fires which have destroyed many homes and is still not under control. Gee, we don't need any foreign terrorists infiltrating our society -- we've got our own exclusive terrorists.
Not only that, they have no basic cause to address -- they're doing it for the thrill. So charming.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 12:07 am
Don't believe everything you read, LW.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 05:35 am
re the article hamburger mentioned above:

It's online:
Quote:

Researching in the Greenhouse
Since the end of the seventies, researchers all over the world have been examining the effects of the unrestricted burning of fossil fuels on the global climate. Today there is little dispute among researchers that human beings are responsible for the accelerated changes in the world's climate. Efficient and climate-friendly energy systems that exploit solar power are pointing the way out of the global greenhouse. An article on climate researchers and scientists who are developing technologies for an economy based on sustainable energy.

Complete article here!

Link to the magazine's online edition:
Deutschland Magazin
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:22 am
Huh?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:30 am
Quote:
Researching in the Greenhouse
Since the end of the seventies, researchers all over the world have been examining the effects of the unrestricted burning of fossil fuels ...

"Unrestricted"??? Rolling Eyes

Take a deep breath, and you can just smell the bias! Cool
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:03 pm
There were hardly any GHG exhaust regulations in place, Scrat, until a couple of years ago.

California seems to be paying its dues now for pioneering a counter movement against pollution. Rig an election here, burn some forests there. Liberal populations from New York to San Francisco were the most terrorized states since Bush came to power. Hardly a coincidence.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:08 pm
wolf wrote:
There were hardly any GHG exhaust regulations in place, Scrat, until a couple of years ago.

The absence of government regulation does not mean the burning of fossil fuels was "unrestricted"; rather it means it was not restricted by regulation. Any rational person without your bias (and that of the author of that piece) can see that the burning of fossil fuels has always been restricted by things like the physical limitations on our ability to harvest those fuels, market forces (I only burn what I can afford to burn), rational behavior (I don't ignite a bowl of gasoline to dry my hair), etc..

This is typical liberal thinking... if the government doesn't limit X, X has no limit. If the government doesn't do X, X won't happen. If you don't want the government to do X, you must be against X. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:40 pm
And from this narrow semantical divergence you conclude that the article is biased. It's clearly you who is biased. Maybe you should admit this and proceed.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:43 pm
"unrestricted burning of fossil fuels". perhaps the burning of forests in brazil and indonesia does not represent "unrestricted burning of fossil fuels" in the narrowest sense of the meaning "fossil fuels". but are not the results very similar ? increased pollution, increased health risks because of smog (which to the best of my knowledge was pretty severe particularly in indonesia). i really don't think i am an alarmist, but should we not take better care of our environment ? google has plenty of websites dealing with the problems of forest burning in brazil. hbg
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:44 pm
wolf wrote:
And from this narrow semantical divergence you conclude that the article is biased. It's clearly you who is biased. Maybe you should admit this and proceed.

ROFLMAO! You are a hoot!

Don't sweat it, I recognized long ago that you are incapable of considering any point of view but your own. Cool
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:50 pm
Would you not contend that your remark on the article is a semantical one?

I think the author knows full well that fossil fuels were not burned all at once, that there is a basic scarcity of oil, and that the market system prevents an unrestricted spill of it, as it does for any product.

If the author knows this, which considering his more than average intelligence one would assume he does, by 'unrestricted' he must mean 'unrestricted by law'.

You can roflmao all you want, I have no clue what it means anyway, and I'm not interested.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 04:44 pm
Fuel cell vehicles

Why wait 'til 2010? With an environmentally concerned president, we could buy these cars within two years. The only thing missing is a large scale refueling network.
0 Replies