....I thought it was funny...

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:04 pm
ebrown, seems to me the Iraqis were a whole lot more worried that the prison would be torn down (when GWB suggested it) than they were concerned about any prisoner abuse at the hands of US military. They certainly mention abuses at the hands of Saddam Hussein and his thugs than anything the US military has done to them. There is no way I believe these people are blowing up men, women, children, and things because the U.S. is there. They want power in Iraq, period, and they aren't willing to share it with anybody.

I'm sure the average Iraqi would like for their country to not be occupied. I would also guess that a comprehensive poll of those Iraqis where the US military and contractors are would not vote for us to leave right now. Those with little or no contact probably believe the negative US, UK, and Arab press and think we are the monsters you seem to think we are. Anyone who believes Iraq is worse off than it was before we invaded simply wants to believe that in face of all contrary evidence.

The terrorists know very well that America has tucked tail and run in recent years; and they are certain if they keep things as chaotic and messy as possible, the American people will tuck tail and run again. They're also trying to coerce our allies in the same way. And it seem to be working as the protesters march with their signs and the press becomes more and more critical of the effort. So they'll keep it up doing their worst to win more and more Americans to their side as they see it.

I don't believe the suicide bombers are bombing because we invaded Iraq. I think they are bribed or influenced by power brokers who see this as a means to their ends.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:23 pm
Foxy,

Your opinions as well as the opinions of Timber et al are incredibly naive. You have swalled the US line hook line and sinker.

First of all, and this may be a surprise for you. Iraqis are Arabs.

Those people you see in the Middle East who are very upset with us because of our policy toward the Israel/Palestine issue... those are people very much like the Iraqi's. Those people who kicked the Shaw out of Iran and held American hostage in the 1970's set set up a theocracy... those are very much like Iraqi's. The men who gave their lives fighting the American troops to protect Saddams regime in two wars against incredible odds... those where Iraqi's.

Iraqi's are divided between several groups who are fighting for power. There are a significant number of Iraqi's who supported Saddams regime. There is a greater number who respect Irans theocracy and would like the same in Iraq. There are some Iraqi's who want the democracy that Bush is pushing, but if you listen to the facts, there aren't many.

Of course there is a signifcant number of Iraqi's who hated Saddam. But there are scant few who like Bush (other than an appreciation). I bet that if you took your poll, the vast number of Iraqi's would say "Thanks for getting rid of him, now get the hell out of my country." There is evidence for this-- not only what Iraqi's are saying, but the level of support of the Sadr movement.

This whole thing about "terrorists" is ridiculous. The people attacking US troops and Iraqi troops aren't even terrorists by any definition of the word. The suicide bombers are terrorists, but it is ridiculous to try to lump everyone who opposes the US together. This is very transparent attempt at propaganda.

The US has made a huge mess in Iraq. Thousands of Iraqi's have died in bombings and each person had family members that must suffer the loss. You think any one of them doesn't hate Bush?

This propaganda you are slinging is ludicrous, but not suprising.

Quote:

hey're also trying to coerce our allies in the same way. And it seem to be working as the protesters march with their signs and the press becomes more and more critical of the effort. So they'll keep it up doing their worst to win more and more Americans to their side as they see it.

You were saying the same thing 30 years ago the only difference is that back then anyone who opposed the US was a communist. But you were wrong then and you are wrong now. How many people need to die before you wise up this time.
0 Replies