Christianism-trying to take over America

xingu

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 06:32 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Its leader, Ron Luce, insists: "This is war. And Jesus invites us to get into the action, telling us that the violent - the 'forceful' ones - will lay hold of the kingdom."

And that's what so scary. These right wing nut cases, whom Baldimo fully supports, will, I venture to guess, turn to violence. It's just a question of time.

By the way, I wonder if our right wing nut who supports these wacko's can recite the Biblical verse in which Jesus tells us to use violence to "lay hold the kingdom".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 07:02 am
The bombing of abortion clinics, and the targetted assassination of abortion doctors suggests the war has already begun.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 07:05 am
djjd62:

Quote:
really, i thought they just wanted equality, you mean if we allow gay marriage, i'd have to marry a man, i must have missed that in news

There is more to the gay agenda then just marriage. The pushing of the agenda in the school system and on TV. It is far more reaching and they have just as many supporters on money suppliers as any other group if not more. They have threatened talk show hosts with boycotts and are trying to get special protections under the laws. Hate crime laws come to mind. Last time I checked I didn't know the life of a gay man or woman was worth more then the life of a straight man or woman. I thought murder was murder. This is just to mention a few things and to let you know that is more then just marriage.

Quote:
this issue is more difficult, the blame is not solely on the shoulders of the immigrants, most americans (and many europeans) were more than willing to profit from savings made on the backs of these people, and now some of that is coming back to bite you on the ass

Nothing is biting me in the ass. The vast majority of the American people don't want illegal labor. There is a small group of people that do but they don't represent the American people. Most polls show that we are fed up with the illegal's and want some change. The illegals don't want change. They want to continue to break the law by working here illegally and staying illegally.

Quote:
i for one see the immigration problem in the same light as the christianisation of america, the main difference being, the aliens may soon have the power of majority rule, using precious democracy to gain their ends, while the christians are playing a much more stealthy game of big money and lobbying, something i'm not sure jesus would approve of myself

How are they going to use democracy to get their way? They can't vote and most of the American people are against the notion of any type of amnesty. There maybe enough support from some Americans to support putting a guest worker program in place they still don't want amnesty.

xingu:
Quote:
And that's what so scary. These right wing nut cases, whom Baldimo fully supports, will, I venture to guess, turn to violence. It's just a question of time.

I don't support these people. Because I defend them doesn't mean I support them. I don't want to see a christian theocracy any more then you do. I was just pointing out the double standards on this thread.

Quote:
By the way, I wonder if our right wing nut who supports these wacko's can recite the Biblical verse in which Jesus tells us to use violence to "lay hold the kingdom".

So you know I'm not a christian in any way shape or form. I have an issue with the whole Jesus rising from the dead thing. I don't read the bible and couldn't even tell you if such a phrase is in the Bible. I do know a fair amount about religion but I know a little bit about each religion. I believe that our nation was founded on Judea/Christian beliefs more so then on any other belief system. I would like to see that continued because they have the best moral standing in my view. Anything else would ruin our nation and bring it crashing down from within.

Setanta wrote:
The bombing of abortion clinics, and the targetted assassination of abortion doctors suggests the war has already begun.

Care to tell us how many times this has happened? Didn't they catch guy who did a vast majority of these crimes? I believe they did and his name was Eric Rudolph who is now serving time in jail. He should have gotten the death penalty for murder. Nothing like this has happened in several years.

When you talk about home grown terrorists you should be more worried about groups like ELF and ALF. They have created more damage then Eric Rudolph combined. They just haven't killed any one yet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 07:18 am
If the Earth Liberation Front and the Animal Liberation Front have not killed anyone, what is your contention that they have done more damage based upon? Barnett Slepian was killed by a sniper. According to the Wikipedia article on Slepian, he was the fourth doctor killed and the seventh person killed based upon involvement in abortion.

Wikipedia wrote:
The killing was the climax of a series of five sniper attacks in four years in northern New York and Canada. Dr. Slepian was the fourth doctor and seventh person in the USA to be killed, supposedly because of their involvement with performing abortions.

That has nothing to do with Rudolph. Do you assert that there are no other such killings or bombings to be feared? According to the Wikipedia article on abortion-related bombing:

Quote:
Since 1977, in the United States and Canada, there have been 7 murders, 17 attempted murders, 3 kidnappings, 375 death threats, 655 anthrax threats, 41 bombings, 173 arsons, 89 attempted bombings or arsons, 1347 incidences of trespassing, 1213 incidences of vandalism, and 100 attacks with butyric acid, in addition to other disruptive and violent occurrences.

Do you assert that ELF and ALF have been more destructive than that? Can you give us some evidence to that effect? Remember, you're going to have to top 41 bombings and 173 arsons, never mind the attempts at bombing or arson.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 08:27 am
Baldimo wrote:
There is more to the gay agenda then just marriage. The pushing of the agenda in the school system and on TV.

This is called teaching tolerance. Tolerance is a far better method of living than doing what conservatives, and especially Christian conservatives do, teaching intolerance and hate. It's funny how conservatives whine about liberals being intolerant because liberals think gays should have the same rights as all other Americans. By making such an outrageous demand we're impinging on the conservative's right to deny rights to a segment of America's population.

Introducing them to the school system and having them on TV show children and adults that homosexuals are humans. A different sexual orientation does not make the evil or some kind of inhuman monster.

In case your unaware of this, in order to make people hate and kill you have to dehumanize the object of your hate. Make them somethng other than a human. This is what hate groups do. That's why hate groups are against having homosexuals protrayed as humans in schools and TV. They don't want them to be protrayed as humans or as good.

Baldimo wrote:
They have threatened talk show hosts with boycotts and are trying to get special protections under the laws.

You mean conservatives don't do this against companies like Ford?

Quote:
Allstate, the insurance company being sued by a former employee who was fired after writing a column critical of homosexuality, is one of the top 10 firms supporting the "gay" lifestyle.
The list, compiled by Diversity Inc., includes, in ranked order: Eastman Kodak, Ford Motor Company, Citigroup, D&T USA, PepsiCo, Merck & Company, Kaiser Permanente, Visteon Corporation, Allstate Insurance and The Coca-Cola Company.
As WorldNetDaily reported, a former manager at Allstate's headquarters recently sued the company, claiming the insurance giant, which financially supports homosexual advocacy groups, fired him solely because he wrote a column posted on several websites that was critical of same-sex marriage and espoused his Christian beliefs.
The insurance company's foundation has donated money to homosexual-advocacy organizations, including the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the LAMBDA Legal Defense and Education Fund. A notice about the Allstate foundation says funds are given to "nonprofit organizations that are related to tolerance, diversity and inclusion."
The American Family Association distributed the "Top 10" list to its supporters, saying it was not surprised by the companies cited.
"These are companies which endorse and financially support the homosexual lifestyle, including homosexual marriage," said Donald E. Wildmon, chairman of AFA, in a statement.
"Polls, in addition to the overwhelming passage of every marriage amendment to reach a ballot, indicate the majority of the American public do not support homosexual marriage. We will continue urging our supporters to voice their disapproval of these companies financing the homosexual agenda and same-sex marriage and encourage them to consider this information when making consumer decisions."
Earlier, AFA announced a boycott of Ford due to its support of homosexuality, but suspended it until Dec. 1 after representatives of the company asked the organization to discuss the matter.
Related stories:
Allstate terminates manager over homosexuality column
Corporations proud of 'gay' politics
Kodak fires man over 'gay' stance

SOURCE

As for special protection it's called anti-discrimination laws. Don't treat me differently because I'm homosexual. That's called tolerance and freedom. Conservative Christians don't believe in that.

Baldimo wrote:
I was just pointing out the double standards on this thread.

And what double standards are you speaking about. Everyone and all ideas on A2K are attacked by liberals and conservatives. Christians and atheist are attacked. It's called debate. It's called exchange of ideas, ideologies and dogmas. It's called getting informed of diverse opinion. Since when are conservative Christians, who want to trash the Constitution, immune from criticism? Why is it a double standard on my part for me to attack something your against, the establishment of a Christian theocracy.

Did I say anything about passing laws to ban these organizations or prevent them from expressing their viewpoints in the same manner conservatives want to suppress homosexuals and deny them their rights?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 12:37 pm
Quote:
This is called teaching tolerance. Tolerance is a far better method of living than doing what conservatives, and especially Christian conservatives do, teaching intolerance and hate. It's funny how conservatives whine about liberals being intolerant because liberals think gays should have the same rights as all other Americans. By making such an outrageous demand we're impinging on the conservative's right to deny rights to a segment of America's population.

Teaching tolerance? What right does the school have to teach my children about homosexuality? Did you miss the news after the last few days about children not being able to locate Iraq or NO on a map? How can we expect our children to be useful in society and not look like idiots on tests if we are working on teaching them tolerance? Primary education should be first and when they get that down then worry about tolerance. I bet you they can't add but they know how to treat a gay person.

Quote:
Introducing them to the school system and having them on TV show children and adults that homosexuals are humans. A different sexual orientation does not make the evil or some kind of inhuman monster.

Show homosexuality on the TV and movies I don't care much about that because I can control that. What I can't control as a parent is what is taught them in school. Children will learn from experience as they become adults. It isn't the responsibility of the school to indocernate my children to except homosexuals. You can leave that up to me and my wife to teach that. They have a gay aunt who is in a realationship and when the time is right and they are old enough to understand they will be told. Until then sexuality of any kind should be about STD's and that is it. Nothing about positions or different lifestyles.

Quote:
In case your unaware of this, in order to make people hate and kill you have to dehumanize the object of your hate. Make them somethng other than a human. This is what hate groups do. That's why hate groups are against having homosexuals protrayed as humans in schools and TV. They don't want them to be protrayed as humans or as good.

Have you heard people yell "kill the fags"? Most of the Christians that I know and that is quite a few including my wife don't hate homosexuals they don't approve of the life style. My wife has told me many times that she doesn't hate the sinner she hates the sin. This tells me that she still loves the people she just doesn't like what they do. Once again this isn't the schools business. Until children can pass reading, writing, math and science that should be the primary focus. Let the parents and family deal with the morals of society. While you accuse Christians of pushing their moral agenda homosexuals are doing the same thing. It is a difference of opinion and it seems that the homosexuals have the winning advantage in the school system. Being of a liberal mind set the schools are sympathic to the cause and will help in any way shape or form. Were schools teaching anti-homosexual classes or teachings? To my knowledge they weren't and they didn't do it while I was in school. Did you know that homosexuals expecially male still have the highest levels of AIDS transmission? Should this also be put out in the schools or only the good things about homosexuals.

Quote:
You mean conservatives don't do this against companies like Ford

I never said they didn't but the liberal agenda over all has a much higher rate of doing this then the conservative agenda. Do I need to remind you of his highness Jesse Jackson and the high number of companies that he has either boycotted or threated to boycott?

Quote:
As for special protection it's called anti-discrimination laws. Don't treat me differently because I'm homosexual. That's called tolerance and freedom. Conservative Christians don't believe in that.

No it is called special protection. There have been several times when people who have commited crimes against homosexuals or even minority groups have gotten worse punishments then those who commited the same crimes against whites and or straights. Hate Crime Legistration is special protection. It isn't equal treatment. If it were equal treatment then we wouldn't have hate crime laws. Don't treat you different because you are different why then have states had to pass different types of protections mentioning gays. It has been mentioned that the same laws that let people buy houses don't apply to gays. They want special laws saying that if you don't rent or cell a house to gay people then you can be sued. Does this sound like equal treatment or special treatment. I thought people had the right to do with their property what they wanted? So some asshole doesn't want to rent you a house because you are gay then why would you even want to live there. Take your money some where else and give it to some who will take it reguardless of who you are.

Setanta wrote:
If the Earth Liberation Front and the Animal Liberation Front have not killed anyone, what is your contention that they have done more damage based upon? Barnett Slepian was killed by a sniper. According to the Wikipedia article on Slepian, he was the fourth doctor killed and the seventh person killed based upon involvement in abortion.

Wikipedia wrote:
The killing was the climax of a series of five sniper attacks in four years in northern New York and Canada. Dr. Slepian was the fourth doctor and seventh person in the USA to be killed, supposedly because of their involvement with performing abortions.

That has nothing to do with Rudolph. Do you assert that there are no other such killings or bombings to be feared? According to the Wikipedia article on abortion-related bombing:

Quote:
Since 1977, in the United States and Canada, there have been 7 murders, 17 attempted murders, 3 kidnappings, 375 death threats, 655 anthrax threats, 41 bombings, 173 arsons, 89 attempted bombings or arsons, 1347 incidences of trespassing, 1213 incidences of vandalism, and 100 attacks with butyric acid, in addition to other disruptive and violent occurrences.

Do you assert that ELF and ALF have been more destructive than that? Can you give us some evidence to that effect? Remember, you're going to have to top 41 bombings and 173 arsons, never mind the attempts at bombing or arson.

Can you come up with a better souce then Wikipedia? It isn't exactly the center for crime control now is it. Try something from the FBI or DOJ if you want to present some sort of source for crimes.

Sorry to hear a baby killer was killed and I do feel sorry for his family but how many lives did he take while getting paid to do so? I don't support the unfettered use of abortion but it is used as birth control now and no one cares except those who don't like it. You call it a woman doing what she wants with her body but it is also called taking an innocent life. Abortion has claimed more victims then all the supposed crimes you listed in your "source". Millions of babies killed and you could careless.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 01:32 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Quote:

Can you come up with a better souce then Wikipedia? It isn't exactly the center for crime control now is it. Try something from the FBI or DOJ if you want to present some sort of source for crimes.

You may not like it as a source, but it is a source. How many sources have you provided for your bullsh!t contention that ALF and ELF have done more damage? Oh yeah, that's right . . . none.

Quote:
Sorry to hear a baby killer was killed and I do feel sorry for his family but how many lives did he take while getting paid to do so?

Translation: You are are a supporter of people like Rudolph and Kopp. When you call an abortion doctor a baby killer, while he or she is doing a legal procedure, but sneer about the murder of such a doctor, you very clearly label youself a supporter of murderous lawlessness if it happens to coincide with your hateful agenda.

Quote:
I don't support the unfettered use of abortion but it is used as birth control now and no one cares except those who don't like it. You call it a woman doing what she wants with her body but it is also called taking an innocent life. Abortion has claimed more victims then all the supposed crimes you listed in your "source". Millions of babies killed and you could careless.

You meant to write ". . . and you could care less." Yes, that is correct. I consider that a living, adult woman has a right to terminate the existence of a zygote, or a blastocyst or a feotus because it is matter or her choosing what will happen to her own body. I know its none of your goddamned business. You sneer at my source again.

How many sources have you provided for your outrageous contentions? Oh Yeah, that's right . . . None.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 01:42 pm
The Federal Bureau of Investigation's search results page for "abortion related violence."

The United States Justice Department's search results page for "abortion related violence." (Note that DoJ has provided 211 results for that search criterion.)

Put your money where you mouth is, wise guy, what support do you have for your contention that ALF and ELF have caused more damage than those who attack abortion clinics and abortion providers?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 01:46 pm
I tend to believe the source for Brandon's postings is either Brandon or fortune cookies.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 02:19 pm
For a sobering analysis of this issue read American Theocracy by Kevin Phillips.
0 Replies

RichNDanaPoint

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 08:23 pm
The last Christian that came preaching at my door on a Sunday morning got the hose turned on him :wink:
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 05:46 am
xingu wrote:
Wolf O'Donnell wrote:
And this thread itself will be considered an attack on Christianity too, when it is merely criticism on the persecution complex. No, we won't be allowed to criticise the persecution complex. That's an attack on Christianity.

No, not an attack on Christianity in general but the conservative wing of Christianity. Christianity, in case your unaware of it, encompasses a very wide range of beliefs. This is a right wing movement within the Christian religion.

Oh really?

Baldimo wrote:
If this was one of the lefts precious groups in this thread most of you would be calling the other people bigots and racists. It is fine when you post attack pieces but when others do it and then make fun of the group it is wrong. It is quite a double standard you all live by.

Looks like Baldimo went and proved me right.

See? He's seeing it as an attack already. True, he's not a fundamentalist Christian, but he's proved my point anyway.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:09 am
Wolf wrote:
Oh really?

Yes, really. It's odd you can't distinguish between the different forms of Christianity. Do you really think they're all alike? Do you really think a liberal or moderate Christian is so stupid they don't know that the conservative right is different from their own? And Baldimo, claiming not to be a Christian, is hardly in any position to confirm your point of view.

Baldimo wrote:
Teaching tolerance? What right does the school have to teach my children about homosexuality?

The public education system is a secular education system. It should teach tolerance and respect for all Americans because that is what America is about. If you want a school system to teach intolerance, or one that conforms to your narrow political outlook send your kids to a conservative religious school. The public education is not required to teach all kids by your standards and your morality. Your views on morality are not so important that the entire secular school system must abide by them.

Acquiunk wrote:
For a sobering analysis of this issue read American Theocracy by Kevin Phillips.

I agree, this is a very sobering picture of the religious right and how this country is going to hell under Bush.
Here's a book review by Olga Bonfiglio. You should read this book wolf.

Quote:
At the Brink of Disaster
American Theocracy
The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century
By Kevin Phillips
Viking Press. 448p $26.95

Some people would characterize the past five years of the Bush administration as inconceivably distasteful and disastrous. For others, the administration's policies are long awaited, perfectly logical and admired. Why such a discrepancy?

In American Theocracy, which reads like a cross between a mystery novel and a horror film, Kevin Phillips explains how several strange political, economic and geographic situations converged over the past 30 years, bubbled up in post-Sept. 11 pathos, and allowed the Bush administration the opportunity to pursue a crusade against evil through a war on terrorism, to expand executive powers and to advance a Religious Right political agenda.

After the 2004 election, some liberals soothed themselves with the "purple-ness" of America and the hope that Democrats would automatically capture the Congress in 2006 and the presidency in 2008. But Phillips shows how the outcome of the 2004 election was really more "red" than purple because, as polls indicate, religion has become the primary factor in selecting a presidential candidate.

And just what is that "red" agenda? Pro-life, pro-abstinence, anti-euthanasia, anti-homosexuality, anti-government, anti-science, anti-environmentalism; and the promotion of intelligent design, school prayer, tax cuts, consumerism, nationalism, unilateral and pre-emptive war, torture, eavesdropping and the sponsorship of faith-based programs.

Sounds like a Republican Party platform? Yes and no. It is a Religious Right agenda, to be sure, but Phillips's real concern is that both parties are shifting their emphasis away from business, the economy and the environment and toward biblical interpretations of life, death, sex and family in a quest to capture this powerful constituency. Even corporate America is sending biblically oriented lobbyists to Washington to fight for deregulation and tax cuts.
America's foreign policy has also been adversely reshaped. Listen to Dominique Moïsi, the founder and senior advisor of the French Institute for International Relations in Paris: "The combination of religion and nationalism in America is frightening. We feel betrayed by God and by nationalism, which is why we are building the European Union as a barrier to religious warfare."

Phillips spares no details in showing how the Religious Right has influenced U.S. foreign policy (primarily through oil acquisitions) and finance over the past 30 years. That the author ties these seemingly disconnected arenas of our society together not only appears antithetical to the separation of church and state, but it reveals how successfully radical Christians have pulled off a theocratic ambush on a much broader agenda than just converting souls for Christ.

Phillips's latest in a string of books on the effects of moving America to the right helps explain the history and effects of our country's predilection toward religion, which goes back to our nation's founding and has surfaced in times of critical change and moral decision-making.

It happened in the years preceding the Revolutionary War, with Americans divided over sticking with Britain or creating a new nation. It happened before the Civil War, when Americans agonized over the slavery issue. (This was also a time that nurtured biblical literalism and led a defrocked Anglican priest named John Nelson Darby to cook up the Armageddon myth, a story loosely based on the Book of Revelation.)

It also happened during the 1890's, which were marked by a re-emphasis on religious revivalism, and in the 1920's, when conservative Christians reacted to the first shock waves of modernism: radio, automobiles, short skirts and the jazz age. Reactions to the second wave of modernism occurred in the 1960's and 70's, during the rise of feminism and civil rights.

By the 1990's the pollster George Gallup conceded that "religious affiliation remains one of the most accurate and least appreciated political indicators available." Meanwhile, megachurches gathered audiences of 50 to 100 million people across the country and led them to consume books, videos and the television sermons of fundamentalist and charismatic preachers who promoted morality, salvation, biblical guidance and an "end times" theology of Jesus' Second Coming.

Liberals, seculars, academicians and sophisticates have largely ignored and dismissed the influence of the Religious Right and have likewise been blindsided by its predictions of the world's end. Phillips's purpose in American Theocracy is to call these ardent, disbelieving souls to focus their attention on the Religious Right so that those who think "blue" can understand, respond, resist and bring the country back to sanity.

Phillips, a former Republican strategist who predicted the rise of the G.O.P. in his 1969 book, The Emerging Republican Majority, is an ardent opponent of the Reagan-Bush policies. He unhesitatingly points out the serious perversions of our politics by comparing America's rise to empire status to Rome, 15th-century Spain, 17th-century Netherlands and 19th-century Britain. All were gripped by radical religious fervor at the peak of their power. He cites the five symptoms of decay that subsequently led to their decline. They sound disturbingly familiar:

• Widespread public concern over cultural and economic decay;
• Growing religious fervor, insistence on a close church-state relationship;
• Rising commitment to faith as opposed to reason and a downplay of science;
• Popular anticipation of a millennial time frame that includes an epochal battle, emergence of the antichrist or belief in an imminent Jesus' Second Coming and Armageddon;
• Hubris-driven national strategic and military overreach, often pursuing abstract international missions that the nation can no longer afford, economically or politically.

Of course, every empire believes it is an exception to the rule, and the United States is no different, says Phillips. Belief that we are the "chosen ones" creates a certain national hubris that leads down a path of delusion and self-destruction. That, and the fact that our nation's economic profile is riddled with trillions of dollars of debt and our energy resources are verging on peak capacity, only exacerbate the seriousness of our situation. One may wonder if the only hope for relief from the Religious Right's thunderbolts of influence is economic decline.

Reading American Theocracy should not make those who despise the Bush regime feel good or justified in their criticism. And logic should remind those waiting for ferther missteps of the current administration that the nation can be devastated politically, economically, socially and morally.

Throughout the pages of Phillips's book readers will find a consistent warning undergirded by hope. It is this: Americans who believe in civil liberties, the Constitution and democratic values, must pick up the leadership for the nation themselves. Relying on a savior, an antichrist or the Democrats to fill the void will not work. Without our commitment to reason, history and moral justice, we are surely doomed to be one more fallen empire in the annals of history.

Olga Bonfiglio
Olga Bonfiglio, a professor of education at Kalamazoo College, Mich., has just published a book about the peace movement entitled Heroes of a Different Stripe: How One Town Responded to the War in Iraq.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:12 am
xingu wrote:
Yes, really. It's odd you can't distinguish between the different forms of Christianity. Do you really think they're all alike? Do you really think a liberal or moderate Christian is so stupid they don't know that the conservative right is different from their own?

What? I never stated that... Oh wait... Yes I did. Damn! I forgot to include the word, Fundamentalist, in there.

xingu wrote:

Here's a book review by Olga Bonfiglio. You should read this book wolf.

That book confirms everything I've stated in my "Myth of Religious Persecution" thread, which is similar to this one.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:32 am
Wolf wrote:
Damn! I forgot to include the word, Fundamentalist, in there.

Understandable. But I would not want to make a blanket statement and say ALL fundamentalist believe in Christianism. I think there are fundamentalist who do not believe in Christianism.

I did say it was an attack on the conservative wing of the Christian religion. Perhaps I should qualify that and say those conservative Christians who support Christianism.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 02:38 pm
Religious Liberals Gain New Visibility
A Different List Of Moral Issues

By Caryle Murphy and Alan Cooperman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, May 20, 2006; A01

The religious left is back.

Long overshadowed by the Christian right, religious liberals across a wide swath of denominations are engaged today in their most intensive bout of political organizing and alliance-building since the civil rights and anti-Vietnam War movements of the 1960s, according to scholars, politicians and clergy members.

In large part, the revival of the religious left is a reaction against conservatives' success in the 2004 elections in equating moral values with opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage.

Religious liberals say their faith compels them to emphasize such issues as poverty, affordable health care and global warming. Disillusionment with the war in Iraq and opposition to Bush administration policies on secret prisons and torture have also fueled the movement.

"The wind is changing. Folks -- not just leaders -- are fed up with what is being portrayed as Christian values," said the Rev. Tim Ahrens, senior minister of First Congregational Church of Columbus, Ohio, and a founder of We Believe Ohio, a statewide clergy group established to ensure that the religious right is "not the only one holding a megaphone" in the public square.

"As religious people we're offended by the idea that if you're not with the religious right, you're not moral, you're not religious," said Linda Gustitus, who attends Bethesda's River Road Unitarian Church and is a founder of the new Washington Region Religious Campaign Against Torture. "I mean there's a whole universe out there [with views] different from the religious right. . . . People closer to the middle of the political spectrum who are religious want their voices heard."
http://www.rawstory.com/showarticle.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fwp-dyn%2Fcontent%2Farticle%2F2006%2F05%2F19%2FAR2006051901813_pf.html
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 06:10 pm
Good to see the other side coming out of the closet.
0 Replies