Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:53 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,289 • Replies: 18
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:48 pm
While it is insanely difficult for me to take coolness research results from a Dr. Nimrod, I belive that the findings are pretty predictable.

Okay, but really.... Dr. Nimrod researches "cool"?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:49 pm
SPONGEbob SQUAREpants!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:02 pm
Nimrod was a mighty hunter--the Bible tells me so.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:08 pm
I'm really not trying to derail this thread because I find the study of coolness interesting.

As I was growing up "Nimrod" was a synonym for "retard" or "dweeb" or "nerd". In use: "I was such a nimrod that I thought the people at my lunch table were cool."

Now I have to go look up the real Nimrod....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:19 pm
The irnony cannot be denied, boomerang.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 04:25 pm
boomerang wrote:
I'm really not trying to derail this thread because I find the study of coolness interesting.

As I was growing up "Nimrod" was a synonym for "retard" or "dweeb" or "nerd". In use: "I was such a nimrod that I thought the people at my lunch table were cool."

Now I have to go look up the real Nimrod....

If u bend a nimrod,
can u shape it into a boomerang ?
David
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 04:39 pm
boomerang wrote:

Well, Dr. Nimrod is true to his name, cause he totally doesn't get it.

Quote:
According to the research, roughly 60 per cent of survey respondents now say cool is someone who possesses socially desirable characteristics, while roughly 15 per cent identify it with the classic image of someone who is mysterious, aloof, and dangerous.

See, this is where he doesnt get it.

The reasoning here is: the majority of people think those with socially-desirable attributes, not those who rebel and live on the edge, are cool.

But by definition, what the majority of people think is cool, is not, in fact, cool.

If you'd asked back in James Dean's time, I'm sure 60% would also have said that, no, what's really cool is a steady guy who is reliable, looks good, and your parents will like him too. That same 60% would have looked rather askance at a non-conformist rebel who'd die young. Not cool, the majority would have said.

Which is, of course, exactly why he was cool.

Jimi Hendrix was cool. Sid Vicious was cool. 2-Pac was cool. None of 'em would have gotten 60% in a popularity test. To be really cool, you've got to have the 60% looking at you with suspicion.

Dr. Nimrod is a nerd.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 07:52 pm
You're so right, nimh. That's pretty funny: "Big news! The majority of people think conformity is cooler than non-conformity!" Laughing

Oh, and also nimh-- you're soooo cool. <wistful sigh>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 05:47 am
60% of posters disagree with you... ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:23 am
The non-conformists come across like powerful, Alpha males to young and impressionable females.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 09:18 am
nimh wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Well, Dr. Nimrod is true to his name, cause he totally doesn't get it.

Quote:
According to the research, roughly 60 per cent of survey respondents now say cool is someone who possesses socially desirable characteristics, while roughly 15 per cent identify it with the classic image of someone who is mysterious, aloof, and dangerous.

See, this is where he doesnt get it.

The reasoning here is: the majority of people think those with socially-desirable attributes, not those who rebel and live on the edge, are cool.

But by definition, what the majority of people think is cool, is not, in fact, cool.

If you'd asked back in James Dean's time, I'm sure 60% would also have said that, no, what's really cool is a steady guy who is reliable, looks good, and your parents will like him too. That same 60% would have looked rather askance at a non-conformist rebel who'd die young. Not cool, the majority would have said.

Which is, of course, exactly why he was cool.

Jimi Hendrix was cool. Sid Vicious was cool. 2-Pac was cool. None of 'em would have gotten 60% in a popularity test. To be really cool, you've got to have the 60% looking at you with suspicion.

Dr. Nimrod is a nerd.

Great post. Even rather cool.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 12:26 pm
It depends on our idea of 'cool'. The coolest guy I can think of at the moment was Ray Brown. Imagine a musician who played with all the giants of jazz, nothing can be cooler than that. I saw him once, smiling as usual behind his bass.
Hendrix and Vicious made a lot of noise.

http://www.hopper-management.com/ray_brown.htm
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 12:49 pm
When it comes to musicians, the coolest performer I ever saw was Miles Davis. He was the epitome of absolute cool.

Sade was also an exquisitely cool performer.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 12:52 pm
Miles Davis was always cool. I saw his exhibition of paintings in Quebec City. Cool, man, cool.

http://servercc.oakton.edu/~larry/miles/main/paintings.html
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:30 am
detano inipo wrote:

.Hendrix and Vicious made a lot of noise.

Spare me. I can't speak about Sid Vicious, but Jimi Hendirix's soundscape images haunt the mind decades after his death.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:21 am
One of the greatest solo jazz artists of all time, Joe Pass also ranks as one of the great guitarists not only for his knowledge of the instrument and technical prowess, but also his compositional and improvisational skills.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pass
Joe Pass was asked to listen to some Jimi Hendrix. After a few moments he shouted: "Turn off that crap, that is not music."
0 Replies

Ceege

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 03:42 pm
I want to be around people I can trust and respect. Cool or not cool.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:32 pm
http://haftbar.de/wp-content/nerds.png

Francis Fukayama was wrong, we haven't reached the End of History, but the End of Irony.

the hip-coolness of a James Dean-type is rarely organic and oft times appears as affectation and false. I assume that geekiness-cool is an admission that such behavior is not percieved as affectation and is an honest emotion from the heart and devoid of irony.

btw this is Cool.

http://www.albertspage.it/sigle_tv/foto/Miami%20vice14.jpg
No, the car......I loved that Daytona.
0 Replies