Ban on Tag on School Playgrounds

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 10:45 am
Seeing what a dangerous sport tag is, it is now banned on all Portland Oregon public school grounds. Florida has also banned running on school grounds. Recess in many schools has all been eliminated. Don't children need to run and play? Can we really expect children to be healthy and happy without getting proper exercise? How can you expect elementary aged children to sit still and learn without getting out and burning off that energy? No wonder so many children are prescribed drugs for ADD. They don't have ADD, they just have normal childhood energy that needs to be burned off.

What other negative effects will result? We already have seen obesity problem. What about social skills? Aren't many of those learned on the playground? I also heard that another school banned tag because of inappropriate touching. So now children cannot even touch one another? Isn't better to teach what is o-k and not o-k?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,991 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 10:52 am
No way!

TAG?!

That's so, so stupid.

(Portland, that means this actually affects boomer's Mo... SO stupid!!!!!!!!!!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 10:56 am
Do you have a link?

I found this, with more horrifying stuff (no swing sets!) but it doesn't seem to indicate that tag is banned for the whole district:

http://www.katu.com/stories/85715.html
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 10:57 am
Year: 2015

Johnny getting his daily exercise...

http://www.wesleyf.com/photos/Year5/Wesley%20month%2050-All%20Tied%20up%2003l.JPG
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:11 am
I actually read that link as well. I heard it this morning on the radio.

Some of the concerns I heard about with all this craziness is that many parents have threatened to sue when their child (after normal playground play) have gotten hurt.

My daughter this past week just fell on the playground at school. I got a call from the school saying I should pick her up and take her the doctor since she had hit her head and was complaining about headaches and feeling tired. I went to pick her up and shock! She fell directly on her face! Her poor little nose took the brunt of it and had a huge scrape. Fortunately after xrays - no broken nose or other major injury - just looking pretty ugly in the face right now.

The thought to sue never even crossed my mind - she was simply running to line up after recess and took a header straight into the cement. I even thanked the office for taking such good care of her and calling me.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:26 am
Linkat wrote:
The thought to sue never even crossed my mind

You certainly seem to be the minority on this these days. Most people seem to think they are entitled to money for every little thing that happens, and that it is always someone else's fault.
I'm glad you feel that way, thought. It's refreshing to see a parent that is concerned about their child instead of their bank account.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:37 am
My daughter attends a small private school - the tuition is low especially compared to other schools. They even "gasp" play dodge ball there. The teachers are so caring - I have even seen them (double gasp) hug some of the children. They were so thoughtful and concerned about my child during her accident how could you even consider that the school or teachers were negligent. When I picked her up, her teacher was in the office - she asked me to call her so she would know how everything turned out. The principal called me that evening to ensure that she was o-k and to see if she would be able to attend school the next day.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:41 am
The teachers hug the students? I wonder how long it will be before a lawsuit for that pops up. "You're touching my child inappropriately!"
Here's to hoping "never". Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:43 am
I doubt that would happen. It is private so they can get away with a bit more than public and the parents are highly involved.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:11 pm
Our schools seem similar, Linkat. My daughter is a tomboy so I get
called quite often, but most of the time, she'll get a band-aid from
the school nurse and she's on her way again. Yet, a couple of times I
did end up in the emergency room with her, after a head-on collision
with another child. And once I had to pick her up, as she was covered
from head to toes in mudd Evil or Very Mad

In our school, the children have a huge grassy field to play tag, soccer,
football, etc. and the kids do run and play quite a bit during recess and
lunch which is in the best interest of all teachers, since the kids are much more
relaxed in the afternoon hours. The only draw back is the grass
stains all over the uniforms.

TSArthur, my daughter's teacher even hugs us parents, and I like the
familiarity aspect of a small school where everyone knows each other
and has a friend-like attitude.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:19 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
TSArthur, my daughter's teacher even hugs us parents, and I like the familiarity aspect of a small school where everyone knows each other and has a friend-like attitude.

Definately, and I hope that these schools can stay that way. So much else is sliding downhill so fast. It's nice to know there are still schools out there like this. Hopefully they will still be around so I can have my children attend them, whenever that may be.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:32 pm
TSA, you'll find plenty of these schools, even in years to come.
You just need to invest in your child's education and pay accordingly to it.
There are also great public schools out there, but they don't always offer
an addtional curriculum, like teaching another language from Kindergarten
on.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:43 pm
Well, those are the types of schools I'll be keeping an eye out for when I have children and they get to school age. I may need to pay more, but if that is the type of attention they can recieve, it'll be worth it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 01:12 pm
CJ - some uniforms now come with stain guard. I believe some of the clothes from the GAP has it and from the Children's Place. I know what you mean. The outfit my daughter wore on that fateful day had blood stains and black skid marks on the knees. I did manage to get them out - I spray and washed them and used non-chlorine bleach. It took 3 times through the washer, but now they are clean.

Also since she goes to aftercare at her school - (after tearing her school pants) I put a pair of sweats in her backpack so she can crawl, slide and do whatever she wants.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 02:10 pm
I have not heard one word about this and I read the paper every day so I'm usually pretty "up" on local news. Is it sweeps week or something?

Mo's school has a very cool playground and big sports fields - we go up there to play a lot because it is cooler than the park.

I'm thinking that maybe this pretains to the older school that might still have asphalt playgounds (like the one at my skinned-knee paradise school back in ..... oh what.... the late 60s that removed all the teeter-totters because so many kids were getting smashed by them).

Also, the article says "many school districts", not Portland school districts, not Atlanta school districts -- for all we know they could be talking about Paris school districts.

I'm not sure how much stock I would put in this report.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 02:13 pm
The school I attended as a child removed its teeter-totters a while back. This after many years of one person standing on one end and a bunch of kids on the other end pushing down hard and launching the one child into the air. Heck, our principal used to get involved to help and really send the kid flying.
Different times.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 02:18 pm
If this is true, it's absurd. Children get hurt. It's a fact of life. I mean, goodness, we don't stop carting them around in our unsafe vehicles, do we?

I'd also wager that kids who aren't allowed much physical activity are more likely to get hurt when they finally get the chance to play.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 03:29 pm
On the radio they distinctly stated Portland, but perhaps they say that if it is a school district in the area - sort of like they will say Boston when it is actually 50 miles outside of the city.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:24 pm
Wow!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:38 pm
A Ban on tag!!!! What kind of sick commie bullsh!t is this?????

We hit the streets TONIGHT!!!!

The One Million man Game of Tag Protest!!!!

Were going to shut them down people!!! IT"S RECESS TIME!! Who's with me??
0 Replies