Alternative History --- The Vikings Prosper in North America

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 10:05 pm
I propose the following -

We take as a jumping-off point that (actual) time when a handful of Vikings settled (so briefly) in Markland and/or Vinland on the American/Canadian coast.

What if -

1) Instead of spending so much energy scrapping with "the Skraelings," the Vikings settle in, build, plant, trap, trade, etc........and begin to prosper.
2) There is no "little ice age," or it is less intense, and they are able to grow their trade route of America-Greenland-Iceland-Scandinavia and keep it open year after year, bringing over their women, and beginning the transformation from adventurers to settlers.
3) They expand their small homesteads inland (ever so slowly, the way Jefferson thought American farmers might take 400 years to expand to the west coast), and southerly along the coastline.
4) They, while having no central government of any kind I am sure, do cooperate just enough to keep their culture, language, etc intact, and to fend off the Native Americans they displace (iron-age vs stone-age, after all.)

So -

How big would their "foothold" have to be, in numbers and in area, that even if they were permanently cut-off from Europe, they would survive and grow? How would the great age of exploration have been affected if the Vikings had this 500-year "head start?" Would they have grown by inter-marriage with the Native Americans, by wiping them out, or some combination? What might modern-day, say, "Kansas City" look like, had it been these Vikings moving westward, and not the English/French, etc?
I would be interested in everyone's thoughts on this notion.......please join in!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,517 • Replies: 13
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 11:15 pm
I'll just contribute randomly, but I don't think the Vikings were sociopoliticoeconomically ready for a major colonisation - we're predating the nation state (at least in the west). Small groups 'emigrated' to Greenland but it was a less than successful attempt.

Vikings plundered other places and returned home. But there just wasn't much plunder in northern america - skip forward 400 years and the Spanish find gold in Central/Southern America - and even then there was no real economic drivers to colonise and form bases from which to produce and export agricultural or mineral wealth.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 12:16 am
Well, I think that present day "alternative history" Americans would eat at Mc Sven's, where they would enjoy McSmogasbordnuggets, washed down with a quart of Kronenborg.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 02:15 am
Intermarriage would surely occur, especially if the group is cut off from the homeland (After all, hingehead already mentioned that it is unlikely the vikings would make a serious colonising effort.)
If it didn't occur, after all, the settlement would have died out without regular new blood.
So I reckon that over 500 years, the original viking colony will be lost or abandoned, since the inhabitants will have 'assimilated' into the semi-nomadic lifestyle of neighbouring indian tribes.
Once again, without contact from the homeland, the language barrier and lack of knowledge of the surrounding area, I doubt whether Iron weaponry would continue to be used. So I reckon the knowledge of how to make iron weapons will be lost. I doubt whether the Vikings brought along horses on their trip. Not usually, but these people were trying to find new lands to settle after all...
If they did bring enough, and they breed succesfully, horses will probably remain, since their use is readily apparent and the obvious advantage of having a steed will make the indians adapt to them quickly.
If the settlement is succesfull for a while, several new disease strains are likely to be introduced among the indian population, making them more disease resistent when the colonists arrive. (Further on, a new disease might turn the local indians hostile towards the new settlers...)
Undoubtedly the existence of the viking outpost would be remembered in legends and or songs, so the indians might not be completely taken aback at the introduction of the new european colonists.

Now, in your topicpost you suggest a different path, but I doubt something like that would happen. Colonisation is a huge step, and it takes some form of pull from the new land, but a push from the homeland as well. No clash between intolerant beliefs. No push because of civic war, hunger or population pressure... The time wasn't right for a colonising move with such numbers the settlement could thrive and expand.

Naj
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 01:51 am
I find it fascinating that the Vikings were able to colonize and FARM in Greenland and Iceland during the Eighth Century AD. Does anyone know of any explanation for the climate being so warm at that time?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 11:37 am
BernardR wrote:
I find it fascinating that the Vikings were able to colonize and FARM in Greenland and Iceland during the Eighth Century AD. Does anyone know of any explanation for the climate being so warm at that time?

Iceland was not settled by the vikings until about 870 and Greenland over 100 years later. People still farm in these places, just like they do in Norway, it is not so amazing. The diference lies only in how many people the land could support. The cold period known as the Little Ice Age led to a strong reduction in the population of Iceland and the Greenland colony died out after contact with Europe was lost (because the Hanseatic league, who had the monopoly on that trade route decided that it wasn't profitable anymore, and because the worsening climate drove the Inuit population south where they clashed with the vikings at their northernmost settlement). The colony suffered from inbreeding and lost among other things the ability to work iron. Since the were no trees to speak of on Greenland they could not build ships to travel to Europe themselves (or to sail to Markland to get the timber for the ship).
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:27 am
Paaskynen- Thank You- I am sure that you know that the little ice age also changed the growing season in England.My concern is with the radical change in the weather despite the lack of industrialization.If I read the news correctly, the industrial output of Co2 is responsible for the Warming trend we are having lately,yet there was what is termed a warming period in the Eighth Century in Iceland and Greenland.

Why?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:37 am
As far as I know climate changes over such long periods are usually ascribed to cosmic influences, like the sun diminishing/increasing in brightness, cosmic dust, changes in Earth's orbit or things like that.

I read that at the height of the warm period grapes were grown in England.
Would've been nice to try English wine Smile
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:41 am
Paaskynen wrote:

I read that at the height of the warm period grapes were grown in England.
Would've been nice to try English wine Smile

You first - doesn't sound appealing to me at all!
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:04 am
Yes, you are correct and when the Little Ice Age came, the Thames going through London froze in mid winter. In fact, accounts told that the French wer complaining that the new English wines were cutting into the sales of the French product.

Even 1, 200 years later, economic rivalries have not changed much!!!
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 10:43 am
You can still try English wine

http://www.englishwineproducers.com/
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 10:52 am
bm
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 02:49 am