An Apology From A Bush Voter

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:35 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, it is what the constitution says; that Congress has the power to

Quote:
To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the department or officer thereof.

Why don't you tell us what that means, if it doesn't mean that Congress has a general power to pass laws governing all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the department or officer thereof.

Cycloptichor

Here's an article you can read, Cyclops, about the meaning of the Necessary and Proper clause.

To quote James Madison, "Whatever meaning this clause may have, none can be admitted, that would give an unlimited discretion to Congress."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You have refused to answer my questions, why should I answer yours?

What question have I refused to answer?

Quote:
We aren't dealing with a case of Congress regulating the Supreme Court. We are dealing with a case of Congress regulating the Executive branch. Try and keep focused here.

Quote:

Show me where the Constitution says that Congress can pass laws that violate the Constitution.

Article 1, section 8:

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

You tell me what you think this means. It is quite clearly worded, and says nothing about Constitutionality or UnConstitutionality of a law, because that measure doesn't come into the equation during the creation of a law, and you know it! Laws passed by Congress are Constitutional until they have been declared not to be by the Supreme Court. The president can ignore a law, but he cannot declare it Unconstitutional with any bearing upon the law whatsoever.

Your question about the SC is nothing but a canard; you cannot successfully defend your theory, so, you seek to change the subject. Typical of your arguments.

Cycloptichorn

Read the article I linked you to, Cyclops, before you start preaching to me that the N&P clause is unambiguous.

And the question I asked about the Supreme Court is in point. You must think Congress has a general power to regulate the Supreme Court if you think it has a general power to regulate the President.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:40 pm
From your link:

Quote:
The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Try again

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:10 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Personally, I'm leaning more towards &#8221, but I see your point.

Ha! Typical right wing cherry picking in reverse.

(That would be what....medlar picking?)

You have, of course, picked the writer's weakest point to highlight...when clearly the crux of the argument is #887&&966***.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:40 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
From your link:

Quote:
The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Try again

Cycloptichorn

http://www.law.upenn.edu/journals/conlaw/issues/vol6/num2/barnett.pdf
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:47 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
From your link:

Quote:
The page cannot be found

Try again

Cycloptichorn

http://www.law.upenn.edu/journals/conlaw/issues/vol6/num2/barnett.pdf

Now if you can post a link that demonstrates that the President can wantonly ignore his oath to faithfully execute the laws of the United States, you will have something worthy of discussion.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:
Wow talk about the Edsal.

Henry Ford's son was named Edsel Ford, not Edsal. The automobile was named after him. As in most other things, you demonstrate at the outset that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Good God Setanta, this is the second thread I've visited within the last 30 minutes in which you've expressed an opinion with which I agree! Serious changes are afoot! The center cannot hold.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
I don't hug leftwingnuts, nor rightwingnuts.

But you annoy any and all.

(Sorry - I guess our newly formed kinship was fleeting at best)
0 Replies