An Apology From A Bush Voter

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:51 pm
Typosc (sic) implies you knew the correct spelling--and there's no reason based on your past performance to believe that. You know, if you work this right, you can slip in some of your favorite anti-semitic remarks.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:56 pm
McGentrix wrote:
At least we are fortunate enough to not be burdened with hearing apologies for Kerry or Gore.

Yes, both these men MAY have been monumental f*uck-ups.

bush of course IS a monumental f*ck up

Basic difference.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:57 pm
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

okbye
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:58 pm
DrewDad wrote:
freedom4free wrote:
I think the remainder of his supporters would have voted for him anyway. even if they knew in advance that he was going to be a failure.

Never switch miserable failures in mid-stream.

what would be the consequence of that, if we did switch ?
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
Typosc (sic) implies you knew the correct spelling--and there's no reason based on your past performance to believe that. You know, if you work this right, you can slip in some of your favorite anti-semitic remarks.

Flash that card. The easiest way to de-bunk any argument Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 01:41 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Tico, I note that you no longer are advancing arguments in the Unitary Executive Branch thread; met your match? Giving up? Or are you tired of trying to defend them?

Cycloptichorn

ps. preliminary guess about your response: 'I got tired of arguing with people who didn't understand my position/I simply disagree with you and that's that/anything other than actually admitting that my argument has serious flaws.'

I hinted several times that I was tired of the circular argument -- arguments we had already advanced on the locked "America ... Spying on Americans" thread. You and DL are convinced you are correct, and I'm convinced you're not. You and she believe Bush has created a dictatorship in Washington, and I think you are both paranoid partisans, unwilling to see that Bush has only done what other Presidents have done, if to a different degree. You and she want to insist that Bush -- and I guess every single President in our history who has ignored unconstitutional laws-- is a criminal. I've pointed out why you're wrong, you're convinced you've pointed out why I'm wrong.

In short, I had a busy weekend, and responding to the posts on that thread has not been high on my to-do list. Why .... miss me?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 01:52 pm
Nah, not really; it's just you write things like 'noone can show where congress has a general power to regulate the presdient in the Constitution,' I point out exactly where it does, and you don't answer, because it makes mincemeat out of your argument.

I can't exactly figure out what your argument even is, btw; is it that Bush is justified in what he is doing? That the SC has said it is okay? That Congress cannot limit Bush in any way? Your tack shifts depending on how quickly your arguments are shown to be BS.

You haven't pointed out how we are wrong, is the thing. You've advanced a different theory of Constitutional interpretation than the standard one, and one that conflicts with the actual wording of the Constitution itself.

Do you have the balls to admit that you are incorrect, or is it going to just be more deny, deny, deny? It turns out my prediction was correct:

Quote:
ps. preliminary guess about your response: 'I got tired of arguing with people who didn't understand my position/I simply disagree with you and that's that/anything other than actually admitting that my argument has serious flaws.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 02:03 pm
Tico and Cyclo, you guys are welcome to continue that debate right here , Woody/Tico/Set have successfully managed to derail this thread anyway... Crying or Very sad

I was hoping they (repubs) would all come clean and make their own formal apology in this thread.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:18 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nah, not really; it's just you write things like 'noone can show where congress has a general power to regulate the presdient in the Constitution,' I point out exactly where it does, and you don't answer, because it makes mincemeat out of your argument.

Wrong. You pointed out that Congress has the power to make laws -- and what a newsflash that was, by the way -- but neither you nor DL articulated a general power to regulate the president. Congress could pass legislation all day long, but if it violates the Constitution, it is of no effect. The Congress has a very limited power to regulate the Executive Branch, but you cannot point to the Necessary & Proper clause as authority for your claim that the Legislative Branch has a general power to regulate the Executive Branch. Whatever power the Legislature has over the Executive exists by virtue of particular, narrow grants of Congressional power.

Does Congress have a general power to regulate the Judicial Branch too, in your opinion?

No, the Necessary & Proper Clause gives Congress the power ...

Quote:
To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the department or officer thereof.

"... the foregoing powers" refers to the immediately preceding 17 powers in Art. 1, Sec. 8, none of which appear to me to be a power to regulate the Executive Branch.

And, in addition, the Necessary & Proper clause does not give the Congress the power to pass laws that impermissibly infringe upon the inherent powers of the Executive.

Cyclops wrote:
I can't exactly figure out what your argument even is, btw; is it that Bush is justified in what he is doing? That the SC has said it is okay? That Congress cannot limit Bush in any way? Your tack shifts depending on how quickly your arguments are shown to be BS.

Bush is entitled to do what he's doing, so in that sense his actions are "justified," I guess. I maintain that the SC had an opportunity to proclaim the actions of President Wilson to be illegal, and chose not to do so (save for a Justices' comment in a dissenting opinion), so they have implicitily condoned his actions.

Cyclops wrote:
You haven't pointed out how we are wrong, is the thing. You've advanced a different theory of Constitutional interpretation than the standard one, and one that conflicts with the actual wording of the Constitution itself.

I've advanced a theory that the President does not need to follow laws that are unconstitutional, and if he feels they are unconstitutional he can ignore them (at his peril), and that past Presidents have ignored laws they believed were unconstitutional (Wilson being just one of many), and the Supreme Court has commented upon Wilson's refusal to follow the law in the Myers case and ruled that the law was unconstitutional in that case, and did not state they believed Wilson's actions were illegal, improper, unbecoming, unseemly, or untoward -- at least in the majority opinion. On the contrary, you and DL seem to want to rely on a dissenting-minority opinion, and proclaim that it is I who is wrong.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:28 pm
Are you being purposefully stupid?

Quote:
"... the foregoing powers" refers to the immediately preceding 17 powers in Art. 1, Sec. 8, none of which appear to me to be a power to regulate the Executive Branch.

Read the rest of the sentence, maybe?

Quote:
and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the department or officer thereof.

You're gonna tell me that this doesn't mean that Congress has the general power to regulate other departments or officers as created by the Constitution?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:30 pm
Quote:
And, in addition, the Necessary & Proper clause does not give the Congress the power to pass laws that impermissibly infringe upon the inherent powers of the Executive.

Sure it does. Congress has the power to pass whatever laws it wishes. Whether those laws are constitutional or not is determined by the Supreme Court. The Executive branch can decide not to follow the law for whatever reason, but that doesn't rob Congress of the power to pass that law.

You really must be doing this on purpose, because I don't believe you could actually say things like this and mean them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:32 pm
Congress has the power to make laws and the President takes an oath to faithfully execute them. End of f***ing story.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:33 pm
Note that the President can also ask the SC to issue an opinion if he believes a law to be unConstitutional, and Bush has never done so; because he isn't actually interested in the Constitutionality of the law, but in how far he can extend his powers.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:06 pm
Cyclops wrote:
Are you being purposefully stupid?

Are you purposefully being an a$$?

Cyclops wrote:
Read the rest of the sentence, maybe?

Quote:
and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the department or officer thereof.

You're gonna tell me that this doesn't mean that Congress has the general power to regulate other departments or officers as created by the Constitution?

Cycloptichorn

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm telling you.

You didn't answer my earlier question. Are you telling me Congress has a general power to regulate the Supreme Court?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:09 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Sure it does. Congress has the power to pass whatever laws it wishes. Whether those laws are constitutional or not is determined by the Supreme Court. The Executive branch can decide not to follow the law for whatever reason, but that doesn't rob Congress of the power to pass that law.

You really must be doing this on purpose, because I don't believe you could actually say things like this and mean them.

Cycloptichorn

Why don't you stop being obtuse, Cyclops.

I don't argue with the fact that Congress can pass a law stating that only Democrats can run for the office of President, but that doesn't mean they have the power or authority to pass that law.

Nor must a President enforce such a law if he believes it to be unconstitutional.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:11 pm
Well, it is what the constitution says; that Congress has the power to

Quote:
To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the department or officer thereof.

Why don't you tell us what that means, if it doesn't mean that Congress has a general power to pass laws governing all other powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the department or officer thereof.

Cycloptichor
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:12 pm
They do in fact have the authority to pass whatever laws they wish, Tico. I can't believe you would even state such a thing. Why don't you show me where the constitution says that Congress cannot pass laws of whatever type that they wish?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
They do in fact have the authority to pass whatever laws they wish, Tico. I can't believe you would even state such a thing. Why don't you show me where the constitution says that Congress cannot pass laws of whatever type that they wish?

Cycloptichorn

Show me where the Constitution says that Congress can pass laws that violate the Constitution.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:22 pm
Third time, Cyclops: Does Congress have a general power to regulate the Supreme Court, in your view?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:32 pm
You have refused to answer my questions, why should I answer yours? We aren't dealing with a case of Congress regulating the Supreme Court. We are dealing with a case of Congress regulating the Executive branch. Try and keep focused here.

Quote:

Show me where the Constitution says that Congress can pass laws that violate the Constitution.

Article 1, section 8:

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

You tell me what you think this means. It is quite clearly worded, and says nothing about Constitutionality or UnConstitutionality of a law, because that measure doesn't come into the equation during the creation of a law, and you know it! Laws passed by Congress are Constitutional until they have been declared not to be by the Supreme Court. The president can ignore a law, but he cannot declare it Unconstitutional with any bearing upon the law whatsoever.

Your question about the SC is nothing but a canard; you cannot successfully defend your theory, so, you seek to change the subject. Typical of your arguments.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies