Love,Infatuated,or just nuts?

Vex86

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 09:03 pm
I'm thinking I'm just nuts or maybe thats because it would be the simple way to deal with it.

The problem is this there is someone that I have come to care a great deal about and they love me or at lest this is what i keep getting told by her and everyone else.She is in another country and part of me thinks thats just crazy,For me its like how can you love someone you have never met face to face sure weve spent god knows how long on the comp typing and talking to each other (I mean talk talk not just type).Yet Im having a hard time wrpaing my head around the fact that she could love me.And it has come up if I feel the same way and also if I would consider finding a way that we could be togather (she didnt ask this but one of her freinds did who seems to think I could make her happy. Tho she has often said things like she would like to come stay with me or for me to come there) I'v set down and thought on it and I'll concede that it could be work able.I'v even asked her if I could maybe work it out if she would come stay with me and she siad she would.I'v talked to a few buds about it and they dont seem to think I'm nuts to try to make it happen but I'm still feeling like I got to be insain to try and make it work.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me I'm nuts so it would make things easy on me and i could maybe forget it.Yet at the same time part of me feels its not crazy to try to make it work somehow.

Sorry for the long post I just need to vent I guess.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LoveMyFamily

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:38 pm
Vex, could you give a little bit more back ground about the two of you like how you met and how she moved to a different country?
0 Replies

Vex86

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:14 am
Not moved she is from a different country and I havent met her sep for on the net witch goes back to why I think I'm nuts.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:02 am
Okay, here come the reality check questions.
  • Which countries are the two of you in?
  • How old are you two?
  • Are either of you currently married?
  • Do either of you have children?
  • Have either of you ever been in a serious relationship (as in, dating at least a year, living together or married regardless of the length of time of the marriage or living together) before this?
  • Does your country offer more employment or financial opportunities for her?
  • Is she established where she is? Are you established where you are? By that I mean, do you have a job? House? Most of your family? Friends? Other types of roots? Same questions about her.
  • How open is this relationship? Is it just in IM or chatrooms or do you talk openly about it with family and friends? Are you embarrassed about how you met and how you communicate? Do you tell a little white lie about that to friends and/or family? Same questions about her.
  • Have you ever spoken on the telephone? If so, who instigates the calls? Who pays for them?
  • Are you in more or less equal economic circumstances, or is one of you significantly wealthier than the other?
  • Is traveling there for a visit, or her coming to you, feasible? By that I mean, schedule-wise, economically, practically, etc.

In the years that I managed a chatroom, I saw lots of couples from different places, either different parts of the US, or different countries, who "fell in love". But none of it mattered if they were not willing to make some serious sacrifices in order to be together, and most of them were unwilling to do that. When the chips were down, they were not willing to immigrate or sell everything or even just spend enough money to make a phone call on occasion. Plus, you need to be aware that there are people out there who worm their way into a 'net type of relationship because they want to come to your country, and that's the only reason for that.

I knew a guy in Texas who had that happen with a gal in Barbados. She was clever enough to realize that if she married him she'd end up in the US, but she balked when she met him and realized just how physically disabled he is. And he was smart enough to see through that very quickly. He was gracious while she visited but the "relationship" ended rather quickly after she returned to Barbados.

There are couples who make it work. They either move or they both move or they keep their own places but do a lot of traveling and phone calling. It can be done, but it is very rare.

Internet relationships turn the normal rules of dating upside down. Things look amazing because you only talk to someone when they are at their best. You don't see them when they wake up in the morning, or right after the dog has eaten their shoes or when the bills have come due. The reality of getting to know people has had an end run done around it. Be aware of that before jumping into anything.
0 Replies

Vex86

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:19 am
* Which countries are the two of you in?
im in th us and she is in australia
* How old are you two?
im 20 she is 17 atm
* Are either of you currently married?
nope
* Do either of you have children?
nope
* Have either of you ever been in a serious relationship (as in, dating at least a year, living together or married regardless of the length of time of the marriage or living together) before this?
she has tho not married and i have always gone to great effeort to stay out of relationships
* Does your country offer more employment or financial opportunities for her?
If so I'm unaware of it
* Is she established where she is? Are you established where you are? By that I mean, do you have a job? House? Most of your family? Friends? Other types of roots? Same questions about her.
I just finished gettin my emt-b not that long ago and still looking for a job hopefuly as a emt-b but at this point ill take whatever and currently stayin at home till all that is taken care of and yes all my family and freinds are here.She has 5 more months of school and all her freinds and family are there.
* How open is this relationship? Is it just in IM or chatrooms or do you talk openly about it with family and friends? Are you embarrassed about how you met and how you communicate? Do you tell a little white lie about that to friends and/or family? Same questions about her.
From what I know she rather open about it with everyone.I on the other hand belive im out of my mind to think about it yet at the sametime I'v been open about it with those I trust and no I'm not embarrassed about it it just seem odd to met someone in this way and it wasnt ever meant to be anything other than someone to talk to when I was on.
* Have you ever spoken on the telephone? If so, who instigates the calls? Who pays for them?
Nope all we have ever talked on is the net with vioce chat programs like skype and vent
* Are you in more or less equal economic circumstances, or is one of you significantly wealthier than the other? Im broke with 2 grand to my name so I do belive we can rule out money
* Is traveling there for a visit, or her coming to you, feasible? By that I mean, schedule-wise, economically, practically, etc.
Ask me in 5 months if I'm still broke.So at this point in time no its not feasible and I know this.

I say I have to be nuts on this to even think it could become feasible and Im well aware that you need to take a big ass grain of salt with what anyone says and a even bigger one with what someone says on a damn comp.I'm a logical person for the most part and I would say thats why I think ya got to be off your rocker to even consider it as even maybe do able.I'm also aware to the fact that we are young and stupid and I probly just have my head up my rear on this.And no the whole maybe living togather thing was not meant as a now thing more of a later possibility.

And after reading all the answer to the Q's I must say i sound like a ass but maybe thats just me.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:29 pm
Well, she'd get to come to another country and have fun.

Thinking about moving in together - nuts, in my opinion!

If she were to come to visit and meet, it could be an experience. But you might end up not liking her so much in person. She might really get on your nerves - and if she's staying at your house, that'd suck. She might even be a weirdo.

Go about your life as normal. If you two end up meeting up - cool.
Don't mess around with the other aspects of your life to accomadate this, though.

Jespah covered this sooo well.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:21 pm
I say bah to the reality checks, I prefer to believe that love conquers and creates reality and not the other way around, even though that often isn't the case. I've found myself in a somewhat similar situation a few times and even though they've all turned to crap I still have faith that all you need is an honest desire to love someone for the beauty you know of them, everything else is just something needing to work out. I'd say moving in together could be quite a problem but for arguments sake I'll disagree with flushd. Going from essentialy nothing real world to staring each other eye to eye every day could pose problems, everyone needs their space and needs to take each other at a certain pace. If your living situation allows for giving each other space and letting two worlds slowly merge then go for it. I say give it a try and create the specifics you don't know.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:16 am
Hi Vex, thanks for answering. I'm gonna comment in blue.

Vex86 wrote:
* Which countries are the two of you in?
im in th us and she is in australia Okay, good, 2 countries where the economics are close to being equal, but bad as they are on opposite sides of the world.
* How old are you two?
im 20 she is 17 atm This can magnify things in a big way.
* Are either of you currently married?
nope Whew!
* Do either of you have children?
nope Whew!
* Have either of you ever been in a serious relationship (as in, dating at least a year, living together or married regardless of the length of time of the marriage or living together) before this?
she has tho not married and i have always gone to great effeort to stay out of relationships That may explain things, if she was hurt before, she may be looking for solace online. And for you it may be more of a pattern of avoidance of intimacy -- intimacy without being truly intimate.
* Does your country offer more employment or financial opportunities for her?
If so I'm unaware of it Agreed
* Is she established where she is? Are you established where you are? By that I mean, do you have a job? House? Most of your family? Friends? Other types of roots? Same questions about her.
I just finished gettin my emt-b not that long ago and still looking for a job hopefuly as a emt-b but at this point ill take whatever and currently stayin at home till all that is taken care of and yes all my family and freinds are here.She has 5 more months of school and all her freinds and family are there. So you could turn your life upside down and although you would miss your family and friends, you would not lose too much. She would lose something now but once school is over she will be in a similar position to you. But some of this may be a function of wanting to change your life (e. g. get a job and get out of your folks' house), for you.
* How open is this relationship? Is it just in IM or chatrooms or do you talk openly about it with family and friends? Are you embarrassed about how you met and how you communicate? Do you tell a little white lie about that to friends and/or family? Same questions about her.
From what I know she rather open about it with everyone.I on the other hand belive im out of my mind to think about it yet at the sametime I'v been open about it with those I trust and no I'm not embarrassed about it it just seem odd to met someone in this way and it wasnt ever meant to be anything other than someone to talk to when I was on. Yes, it gets tricky once it goes from the lark of just talking to "I'm in love with you". Also, you only know about her what she has told you, it all comes through her personal filters, whereas when you meet someone in person or know them through friends, there are other filters and it's not quite as one-sided. That's not specifically the case with her, it's that way with all 'net romances.
* Have you ever spoken on the telephone? If so, who instigates the calls? Who pays for them?
Nope all we have ever talked on is the net with vioce chat programs like skype and vent So there's no money that's been spent? Because I have noticed that that tends to imply more of a real-life commitment. I'm not saying that you need to go into hock over this, but I have noticed that the whole thing has a lot more real-world grounding when real-world money starts to get spent on phone calls, tickets or the like.
* Are you in more or less equal economic circumstances, or is one of you significantly wealthier than the other? Im broke with 2 grand to my name so I do belive we can rule out money Gotcha
* Is traveling there for a visit, or her coming to you, feasible? By that I mean, schedule-wise, economically, practically, etc.
Ask me in 5 months if I'm still broke.So at this point in time no its not feasible and I know this. Hence for her this is very unattainable, and same for you. I suspect, like I stated above, that this is a way for either or both of you to avoid real intimacy. I'm not saying that intimacy is impossible online -- far from it -- but if it's a cover for or a substitute for putting it out there with people who are attainable, then that can sometimes be the kernel of what's really going on between two people.

I say I have to be nuts on this to even think it could become feasible and Im well aware that you need to take a big ass grain of salt with what anyone says and a even bigger one with what someone says on a damn comp.I'm a logical person for the most part and I would say thats why I think ya got to be off your rocker to even consider it as even maybe do able.I'm also aware to the fact that we are young and stupid and I probly just have my head up my rear on this.And no the whole maybe living togather thing was not meant as a now thing more of a later possibility.

And after reading all the answer to the Q's I must say i sound like a ass but maybe thats just me.

No, you don't sound like an ass at all. You sound very logical and reasonable. I think you've got a good head on your shoulders. You're right that a big grain of salt has to be taken, that's true in all relationships, I think, at least in the beginning, but particularly with online stuff as it's all filtered weirdly and turned on its head. As for living together, that is an enormous step that most people do not take until and unless they have known each other for a significant amount of time. My husband and I dated for a year before he moved in officially, and he didn't even start leaving a change of clothes until we had been dating for something like 3 months. We may or may not have been a typical couple but we just didn't know one another well enough to take that plunge.

For a lot of people, living together is either a prelude to marriage or a surrogate for marriage, so I think one should think long and hard before committing to that. Even though a breakup does not mean a divorce, it does often mean splitting up stuff, changing locks and the like and a very long-term living together situation can mean palimony. Essentially, it gets difficult to extricate yourself, and that's a part of committing. Of course there are upsides, but the bottom line is that living together takes some work and while it can be entered into more lightly than marriage, it's still a far sight more of an attachment than just dating is.

And, for me, I'd find it difficult to commit to someone I only knew from online. Once I knew that person personally, as a friend and a date with all that comes with that, then maybe. But this sounds more like she wants to come to the US and be set up immediately. And lasting relationships, while they aren't impossible under those circumstances, are facing an uphill battle. Continue to chat if you like, nothing wrong with that, but I'd advise you to cool the living together talk and seriously consider going out and finding some local talent to hang around with. You may find someone wonderful just under your nose, as it were. Smile
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 12:33 pm
One big test would be to say that you had just lost your job and wondered if she wouldn't mind if you went to Oz, so that she could support you for about six months.
0 Replies

Vex86

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 01:33 am
As I get more and more of my bearings back from the inital shock of the whole "I love you" thing. I realise the problems of this even better.You put two things very well and both are very true those being "And for you it may be more of a pattern of avoidance of intimacy" and "a function of wanting to change your life (e. g. get a job and get out of your folks' house)".Both of these things are true and I know it due to recent and past things I have done. I have no clue on how to work out the first one its just something I have done for so long and its also become a defence mechanism of sorts. The other I have been working on i.e. working on loosing 10lbs to meet navy weight regs.For me that would not only be away out of home but a job and away to continue medical training. The living together thing will be put out of mind.Tho should it happen to where it does become feasible to met each other as in a short trip ither way I would be willin to do that.Besides going site seeing in australia for a week wouldn't be so bad. But again that would be something far far off should it ever even become a real possibility. And I see your points very well and I thank you for them. Still feel like a ass for having asked the Q in the first place Neutral ah live and learn I guess
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 01:33 pm
We only learn and work out our issues through questioning. So don't worry about that. Smile

Sounds like you've got some ideas for a plan in place. Good for you.
0 Replies