Bush: Worst moment? 9/11. Best moment? Catching a big fish.

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 03:36 pm
Quote:
Big fish gave Bush biggest thrill

President George W Bush has revealed to a German newspaper his best moment since he took office in 2001.
"I would say the best moment of all was when I caught a 7.5lb (3.4kg) perch in my lake," he told Bild am Sonntag.

The worst moment was the 11 September 2001 hijacked plane attacks on New York and Washington that killed about 3,000.

Mr Bush also said ahead of the summer's football World Cup that "old guys" like him were starting to understand the competition's importance to the world.

President Bush said he had had "experienced many great moments" in his five years in power and it was "hard to name the best".

But he plumped for the perch, although he did not specify what type it was.

Soccer generation

Of the 9/11 attacks, he said: "In such a situation it takes a while before one understands what is happening.

"I would say that this was the hardest moment, once I had the real picture before my eyes."

Mr Bush was asked about the World Cup being hosted by Germany and admitted that when he was young, soccer "simply did not exist" where he was brought up.

But he added: "There is a new generation of Americans who have grown up with soccer.

"For them, the World Cup is of great interest and it's the most important sporting event in the world. And some of us, the old guys, are beginning to understand how important the World Cup is for the entire world."

In a more serious moment, he said he understood German opposition to the war in Iraq.

"The Germans today simply don't like war... And I can understand that.

"There is a generation of people whose lives were thrown into complete disarray by a horrible war."

LINK TO ARTICLE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,754 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 05:27 pm
Well why not? He certainly isn't able to point to any presidential actions or decisions with pride.....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 05:50 pm
Quote:
Of the 9/11 attacks, he said: "In such a situation it takes a while before one understands what is happening.

"I would say that this was the hardest moment, once I had the real picture before my eyes."

So THAT'S why he sat there letting the kids finish reading. He was trying to figure out what "America is under attack" might LOOK like. He was trying to grasp the big picture, and that's hard work as we all know now.

Quote:
In a more serious moment, he said he understood German opposition to the war in Iraq.

"The Germans today simply don't like war... And I can understand that.

What? And the rest of the world simply DOES like war?

Gawd, get him outta office! What a total idiot.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 09:30 pm
Well, a man has to know his limitations.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:04 am
kuvasz wrote:
Well, a man has to know his limitations.

Thank you Dirty Harry... Laughing
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 01:54 am
Yes, a man has to know his limitations and I can confidently predict that George W. Bush will not be re-elected!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 02:02 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Well why not? He certainly isn't able to point to any presidential actions or decisions with pride.....

You have something against Perch?
Shocked
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:58 am
Thank God he took some time off of hunting for Osama bin Laden to go fishing!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:53 am
Getting elected in 2004, getting two nominees on the Supreme Court, removing Saddam, no!

Catching a f***ing fish is the high point of his presidency! You can't make this stuff.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:50 am
Interesting "Twist" to the story by AP at SALON.

You have to click on "comments" at the bottom of the story. Too funny. Perch don't even get that big!

Another Fish Story like Iraq WMD?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:59 am
Maybe he was thinking of a crappie?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:03 am
That would be a pretty crappy excuse.

Any Texas rancher (and even this Missouri farm girl) knows the difference between a perch and a crappie.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:07 am
It would be just like him to cover his bass.

Drew (OK, I'll stop now) Dad
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:23 am
Soemtimes I think that Bush lies just for the halibut.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 01:06 pm
Quote:
W's top Prez memory sounds a little fishy

BY MICHAEL McAULIFF
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Call it the softball question that got away.
Asked in an Oval Office interview with the German newspaper Bild to name the "most wonderful moment" of his presidency, President Bush came up with a fish story.

"I don't know, it's hard to characterize the great moments. They've all been busy moments, by the way," Bush said, apparently trawling his memory for good times since 2001.

"I would say the best moment was when I caught a 7-1/2-pound largemouth bass on my lake," he said eventually.

Bush appeared to be joking about the catch, especially since a 7-plus pounder wouldn't wow any angler in the Lone Star state. A largemouth bass has to be more than 15 pounds to crack the top 50 biggest catches, according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

But his answer was a whopper for political observers who have watched his administration stumble over the past year with the war in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina, a CIA leak probe, the sale of port terminals to Dubai and other missteps - all of which have dragged his approval ratings into the low 30% range.

It also was reminiscent of a 2004 press conference when Bush was asked to name his biggest mistake, and he couldn't come up with any.

"At least this is balanced," said Larry Sabato of the University of Virginia's Center for Politics. "He can't think of the worst mistakes or his best moments. Maybe that's how he survives."

"I doubt his wife will be pleased," Sabato added. "If he wasn't going to name some official moment, the least he could have done was name some moment with Laura."

They've all been busy moments... Well except for all the vacation time and oh, yeah, it was during one of those busy moments that I just remembered one of my favorites... I caught a fish. I think that was August 2001, right after I'd talked to Condi about some report she thought was important.

As for Laura, Good point! Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 01:25 pm
Was it a perch or a bass? Lets try to get the stories straight.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 01:59 pm
McGentrix wrote:

It's kinda like the difference between idiot and moron.... It matters to the idiot, but not to the rest of us.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:12 pm
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

It's kinda like the difference between idiot and moron.... It matters to the idiot, but not to the rest of us.

The first story, starting the thread said it was a perch. The story Squinney posted says it was a bass.

I understand that it doesn't matter to those of you that just need a reason to spread vomitus on A2K, but when stories contridict one another, it becomes important.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:46 pm
Uh - I'm pretty sure that was one of the points made on the previous page.

According to the original Reuters article, it was a perch. Then the AP switched it to a largemouth bass to try to cover Bush's ... um, bass, since perch do not get that large. They also changed it to make it look like he was joking, although the original interviewer did not relay that to be the case.

But, as stated above, it really doesn't matter if it was a goldfish or a swordfish. His greatest moment over the last five years has been from fishing in Texas, (There's a Delay joke in there somewhere, I'm sure.) not from anything he has done officially as president of the United States of America.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 10:22 pm
Oh come on, Squinney/ Don't be so hard on Bush. If he says that his fishing experience was the peak of his presidency so far, we can marvel at his choice, but it is his choice.
Noone ridiculed Clinton when he named the moment when he placed a cigar into Monica as his highlight.

Give these men a break!!!
0 Replies