Omega 3 and ADHD, Depression and General Diet

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 02:51 pm
Due to the changes in our culture over the last century it seems our diets <and a great many other things have changed>. However, I found it interesting the studies developing regarding Omega 3 And Omega 6 especially those studies concentrating on children with Add and ADHD.

Book Recommended by RN friend seems to have same suggestions:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684871386/qid=1052512827/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-6895557-4536844?v=glance&s=books

Book Description

For years scientists have searched for a "magic bullet" to relieve the pain of depression and other mood disorders -- safe enough for nursing mothers, children with ADHD, and the elderly, without the side effects associated with medicines like Prozac, Zoloft, and lithium. Now the search may finally be over, thanks to the Omega-3 Renewal Plan, introduced here by Andrew L. Stoll, M.D., Director of the Psycho-pharmacology Research Laboratory at Harvard's McLean Hospital.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,528 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 03:00 pm
I'm gonna (I hope you don't mind) test an A2K-specific Amazon link for that book (I'm trying to learn how to do these links):

The Omega-3 Connection
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 03:32 pm
No-thats great...thanks Jes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:35 am
Driven to Distraction - basic biology of disorder

Quote:
Adults are as scatterbrained as kids. And the disorder may be rooted in basic biology
By Marianne Szegedy-Maszak

When Nancy Quinlan was in her early 20s, her 6- year-old son was bouncing off walls. His high intelligence simply couldn't compensate for his utter lack of self-control, and no form of discipline seemed to help. When she finally, in desperation, took him to a doctor, she was told that her son had something called minimal brain dysfunction with hyperactivity. The doctor warned her, however, that nobody--not family, not teachers, not even pediatricians--would take the little-known diagnosis seriously. He nonetheless gave Quinlan a prescription for Ritalin to help calm her son's fevered mind.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:38 am
More info on ADD/ADHD
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:49 am
I read that book cover to cover. It was excellent, but as a chemist, I feel as though I may have had a better understanding for the scientific references. I take fish oil with omega 3 every day, and it helps with a lot of things, as I can tell. I don't worry about the omega 6, though, since we already get so much of it in our diets.

I always tell people to take omega 3.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:11 am
Thanks for the info LRR
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:27 am
No problem Smile
0 Replies