what does "her signature education issue" means?

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:22 pm
In the following passage,
1) what does "her signature education issue" means?

2)And what does "We want teachers with diverse academic background" mean? that is, what is the purpose of Laura Bush saying that?

Tom Brokaw: Finally coming to us this evening: "Behind Every Successful Man." With all the attention paid to the presidential candidates, there is sometimes a danger of overlooking the political strengths of their wives. The most influential is, of course, Laura Bush. First Ladies always have clout, the question is: What do they do with it? ABC's Terry Moran has been on the road with Mrs. Bush.
Terry Moran: These days Laura Bush is already putting in long hours on the campaign trail.
Laura Bush: Ok, you ready?
Terry Moran: The Bush campaign sees the First Lady as a major asset to woo independent voters in key swing states including Arkansas. Her style is low-key, and as a former school teacher, she usually emphasizes her signature education issue.
Laura Bush: We want teachers with diverse academic backgrounds.
Terry Moran: But this campaign is shaping up to be tight and tough, with her husband already the focus of sharp attacks by Democrats on his credibility and character.
Laura Bush: I don't know if you ever get hardened to it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 501 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:27 pm
First Ladies--like Miss America Queens--tend to become associated with a particular public issue. LadyBird Johnson tackled billboards. Hillary Rodham Clinton tried to reform Health Care. Mrs. Bush, a former school librarian, is very concerned about education.

"Diverse Academic Backgrounds" means she wants teachers from a variety of colleges and universities as well as diverse ethnic backgrounds.
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:35 pm
Thanks a lot. And could you tell me what "signature education" means?
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:41 pm
Laura Bush is not a president of a university, or the official of education department, and she is not recruiting new teachers, why does she say "we want teachers..."? I am confused. Thank you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:55 pm
Education is Laura Bush's "signature" issue in the sense that education is part of her identity.

As for "we want teachers". I hope she means "We, the American people, want teachers" and not "We, the Royal Bush family, want teachers."

She probably means "We, the people."

In America-speak "We" can mean "all the people who share my opinions and who are on my side" vs. "They" (who are all those who disagree". Remember, she's not finding teachers or hiring teachers--she's just wanting teachers.
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:55 pm
I got it. Thank you so much.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 12:14 pm
Ddldlee--

You're welcome.

Enjoy your time at A2K.
0 Replies