WHY DID DRUG TEST GO AWRY?

Badboy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:00 am
I don' seem to be able to find any thread about it when i do `search'

That drug tria;/test in England that went awry.

It may have been because humans don't have `siglets' in their system.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 549 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:25 am
Quote:
MORE than a third of motorists who drive after taking illegal drugs nevertheless pass roadside sobriety tests, according to a study.
The findings put in question the accuracy of "field impairment tests", which assess mental and physical co-ordination and were introduced last year.

Police have long suspected that many motorists who would not drink and drive, for fear of being breathalysed, are willing to take drugs because they believe that there is little chance of being caught.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2126522.html

Is this to what you are referring?
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 06:39 am
I was referring to a drug trial where six people had a severe reaction to what was tested on them TG??????????

A 1siglet' put a brake on the immune system rresponce so it doesn't overact.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 08:34 am
Ah, that one by that American company using antibodies. Tough things, antibodies. They're very specific.

Animal tests aren't good on antibodies, because these antibody proteins are specific. They're very specific. You change the shape of their targets just slightly and you can alter their affect and efficiency.

The drug was TGN 1412 and was more of an antibody. It worked by enhancing an action by binding to a T-cell's CD28 receptor (It's been four years since I last did immunology so I can't remember what that one does). That's a dangerous thing to do, you know, enhancing bodily functions. You could overstimulate something.

These men were healthy, after all. They had perfectly fine immune systems. You boost a good immune system and you get an overactive one, which would explain why they reacted so badly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4817178.stm

It has even been suggested in a New Scientist issue that they were given a potentially nasty underdose. After all, they were given 0.2% of the dose considered safe in animal experiments. If TGN1412 has a stronger affinity for "conventional" T-cells than for regulatory T cells, a low dose may have been enough to stimulate the former but not to stimulate the protective regulatory T cells.

Inevitably, we don't know what went wrong. After this was a new "drug" targeting a never before targeted receptor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 08:45 am
very interesting..... <bookmark>
0 Replies