Rolfing

Chai

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:20 pm
Has anyone here had a personal experience with Rolfing (structural integration)?

I've done quite a bit of reading on it, and the process makes sense to me.
A friend of mine who teaches pilates has been rolfed and can't say enough good things about it.

I'm going to give my husband a present of the 10 sessions, and most likely then myself, but would like to hear any A2Kers experience.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,904 • Replies: 60
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:05 pm
I've never heard of it, Chai, but it sounds like something I could get into.

I could do with a bloody good rolfing, at this very moment.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:09 pm
I had ten sessions years and years ago.

Hurt like hell, and, as far as I can see, didn't achieve a damn thing except to make me handle pain more calmly.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:10 pm
Yes, I see I was right. Did it involve implements, Deb?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:13 pm
Oh, and Chai, have you checked to see if there have been any actual proper clinical trials on it...you know, random assignment to treatment/placebo, and double blind assessment?

I certainly wouldn't be throwing my money away on it again.

And the goddamned psychobabble that te woman doing it came out with! Oy veh!

And Lord E, no it didn't.

Believe me, it is nothing anyone would do for pleasure!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:14 pm
Should we ROFL if she gets rolfed?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:18 pm
Here's something which appears to be some sort of research on it:

http://www.rolf.com.au/downloads/Two_age_groups.pdf

I have no idea if it is good research or not...

Here's more...but it is included on a Rolfing site, so...

http://www.getrolfing.com/Medical.htm
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:58 pm
I appreciate your input dlowan.

The pdf file was about doing some type of cardiac thing through tilting the pelvis. That's not really what we'd be doing it for.

The 2nd link is one of many out there discusing rolfing.

I have to agree if you had it done years and years ago, it would probably have been more painful....

apparantly, up until about 7 or so years ago, the rolfer didn't take as much time to ease into manipulating the connective tissue. Now, they will start superficially and work in.

My husband has alot of back, neck problems, and has to take muscle relaxants, which is really getting to be a problem. He's going to see his pain management doctor later in the week anyway, and is going to be talking to him. They've talked about ablating some nerves, but hell, that'll take away the pain, because the nerves will be dead, but that's not helping the main problem, and could make it worse maybe, because pain is an awful good indicator that you shouldn't be doing something.

When you're in pain 24/7, having some more for a while is more than worth it is it will help later, and long term.

You say you didn't feel ANY difference at all? May I ask why you had it done? The only thing I've read on the internet about anyone being displeased was someone who had constant pain, but every other method he tried didn't work either. Do you remember how experienced your rolfer was and so forth?

Anyone else care to share?

lord ellpus, I do think they provide you with a "safe" word, so feel free to investigate further, perhaps you could bring your own appliances.

btw - here's the link to the place I found the most info....Rolf
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:00 pm
Maybe I'm mixing it up. Haven't read the links yet. Wasn't rolfing a mid seventies thing where everybody screamed a lot?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:06 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I appreciate your input dlowan.

The pdf file was about doing some type of cardiac thing through tilting the pelvis. That's not really what we'd be doing it for.

The 2nd link is one of many out there discusing rolfing.

I have to agree if you had it done years and years ago, it would probably have been more painful....

apparantly, up until about 7 or so years ago, the rolfer didn't take as much time to ease into manipulating the connective tissue. Now, they will start superficially and work in.

My husband has alot of back, neck problems, and has to take muscle relaxants, which is really getting to be a problem. He's going to see his pain management doctor later in the week anyway, and is going to be talking to him. They've talked about ablating some nerves, but hell, that'll take away the pain, because the nerves will be dead, but that's not helping the main problem, and could make it worse maybe, because pain is an awful good indicator that you shouldn't be doing something.

When you're in pain 24/7, having some more for a while is more than worth it is it will help later, and long term.

You say you didn't feel ANY difference at all? May I ask why you had it done? The only thing I've read on the internet about anyone being displeased was someone who had constant pain, but every other method he tried didn't work either. Do you remember how experienced your rolfer was and so forth?

Anyone else care to share?

lord ellpus, I do think they provide you with a "safe" word, so feel free to investigate further, perhaps you could bring your own appliances.

btw - here's the link to the place I found the most info....Rolf

I have fairly chronic back and neck problems.

It didn't help at all.

Other things do help.

Just my experience. I don't know anyone else who has had it.

The rolfer was very experienced.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:23 am
ossobuco wrote:
Maybe I'm mixing it up. Haven't read the links yet. Wasn't rolfing a mid seventies thing where everybody screamed a lot?

Rolfing, in the UK and Australia, was when one donned a fake beard, sloshed some paint on a wall, and said (Australian accent) "D'ya know what it is yet?"

There are probably only about a dozen people on A2K who will get this joke, I have just realised.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:25 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

There are probably only about a dozen people on A2K who will get this joke, I have just realised.

Numbering off:

ONE!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 04:47 am
TWO!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 06:57 am
Three! (But never been rolfed, myself, though.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:11 am
Three.

Oh and the phycobabble, new age-y stuff?

Yah, I wouldn't go for that.

The person I'm considering is a BSN RN, over 18 years, Rolfer certified since 1991, Advanced certification since 1999.

It's actually a very difficult course to be qualified, I would think much like physical therapy.

Well, he goes to his pain management guy on Friday, we'll see what this MD says.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:12 am
I mean four.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:20 am
If it's much like physical therapy... why not see a physical therapist?

FYI, my sister-in-law has a doctorate in physical therapy. She is not a fan of neck-wreckers.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:25 am
20 years ago I worked for a company that paid for such things (those early computer years were full of perks) and I went to one session. I thought the masseuse was trying to separate my muscle from my bone. I kept saying "ouch" and he kept saying "you're going to feel great tomorrow". I didn't feel great the next day- I ached everywhere. I even had black and blue marks on various parts of my limbs. No more rolfing for me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:29 am
DrewDad wrote:

FYI, my sister-in-law has a doctorate in physical therapy. She is not a fan of neck-wreckers.

rolfers aren't neck-wreckers
he's been to physical therapists.
this has been ongoing for decades.
he has herniated disks (plural)
a rod in his ankle
scoliosis
and that's just for starters.
have you read what rolfers do?
what does your sis-in-law say specifically about rolfers?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:37 am
DrewDad wrote:

Oh, btw, I didn't say rolfing was like physical therapy, I said the training must be quite like it ..... in that they must learn the same muscle, joint, skeletal, etc. systems....

What I'm looking for here is not really a debate on whether or not to try it. I'm sure you could get people on here saying they think physical therapy is a crock, whether they've had any or not. Same goes for chiropractic, pychologists, phychiatrists, medical doctors, nurse practioners, the medical community in general.

I'm looking for personal experiences.

Greenwitch - was the person calling himself a masseuse? A massage therapist wouldn't call themselves a rolfer, and vice versa.

Did you know why he was trying to do this? What was the reason you went?
0 Replies