United 93

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:05 pm
The story of the hijacked 9/11 plane that was taken back by the passengers, and crashed in a field in Pennsylvania. Very well done. Almost like being there, which is fascinating, but the scenes on the plane are frightening.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,763 • Replies: 57
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:11 pm
I plan to see this in theaters. I heard it was very good. Very powerful and moving.
I hope I can handle it. Those passengers all became my personal heroes that day. I'll never forget where I was when I first heard about the attacks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:13 pm
Brandon, I watched the one made for TV, and it was excellent, but, as you observed, scary from two points of view.

Did the big screen version leave you with the impression that the plane was the victim of friendly fire? I have always wondered about that.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:16 pm
Letty wrote:
Brandon, I watched the one made for TV, and it was excellent, but, as you observed, scary from two points of view.

Did the big screen version leave you with the impression that the plane was the victim of friendly fire? I have always wondered about that.

We have the TV one taped and may watch it tonight.

No, the film certainly did not give the impression that the plane was fired upon. In fact, at the time that it crashed, the military was desperately requesting clarification of their rules of engagement. They did not have permission to shoot the planes down at that time. The crash was explained in terms of the extremely low altitude and the struggle for control.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:18 pm
Don't you guys think the plane was shot down? I'm not one for all these conspiracy theories, but it sure the hell makes sense to me if & why they did.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 05:41 pm
I agree, Slappy, but it certainly doesn't diminish the heroics of the passengers.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 08:49 pm
Letty wrote:
I agree, Slappy, but it certainly doesn't diminish the heroics of the passengers.

Definitely, I'm not taking anything away from them. Just wondering what people's thoughts were on that whole theory. I don't believe it coincidentally crashed due to low altitude.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:05 am
I don't either, Slappy. I think it's a foregone fact that the military take that sort of action when there is a huge threat to a wide area of the population. Probably a cover up about it because the general population does not understand such things.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:59 am
At the time United 93 crashed, the military was frantically seeking permission to shoot down the planes, but had not yet received it.

The crash was not due to low altitude, but to the combination of low altitude and the terrorist pilot being stabbed and pulled out of the pilot's seat, while resisting. Once you're in a nose dive, it's kind of hard for an amateur pilot to sit in the chair and level the plane off immediately with controls of a type he's never seen.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:03 am
Well, Brandon, we will never know. Isn't a movie in the works for the 9/11 disaster?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:18 pm
Letty wrote:
Well, Brandon, we will never know. Isn't a movie in the works for the 9/11 disaster?

I don't know, but one would think there would be several.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:26 pm
Yep, just checked it out. One is in the works by Oliver Stone. I think he's the one that did the Kennedy Conspiracy.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:56 am
I will have to check this movie out. Normally this style doesn't really do justice to the events they are about. Sounds good though.

p.s. Hi Letty! I went to send you a PM but it seems I am not cool enough yet haha. <wave>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:00 am
Hi, Hamal. You'll have to remind Letty about our tryst. <smile>Waves back.
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 02:18 pm
When I first joined this site a while back, I had posted a few favorite songs that you liked. The thread was something like "what songs get stuck in your head" or something like that. We just talked a few times through PMs and I remembered ya because you were so nice. That was a long while ago though, and I didn't post a whole lot at all so it's totally understandable. Seems they changed the rules on who can send PMs now which is cool, but I also did not want to hijack the thread here though so *zip*! Still I wanted to say hi to you. Good to see you!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 02:34 pm
ah, the young man with beautiful thoughts and strange songs.

Sorry, Brandon.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:11 pm
Not sure how well this film will do -- it still has the stigma of exploitation no matter how well done (that's not my definite opinion but I think it is a perception that is valid). So far, it's at $16m but its estimated cost is $15M (the CGI effects likely drove that up). I don't really want to see this film -- I know what a tremendous sacrifice this was but I would rather deal with it in the abstract.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:27 pm
Exploitation????????????????????????????????

There has been no film in recent memory which can be categorized under the heading of "exploitation" than "Brokeback Mountain". One has only to watch the trailers and the ads to come to that conclusion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:59 pm
Stalking again? I'd lay off the alcohol and join AA if I were you.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:03 pm
Stalking --Schmalking---

United -an Exploitation film?????

In MY OPINION, that is an incredible statement!

How could a film that is so true to life be an "exploitation film"?
0 Replies