0
   

United 93

 
 
BernardR
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:36 am
And as far as my "Obsession" with Ted Kennedy is concerned, Dlowan, I have documented the reasons why I refer to Kennedy. To avoid grappling with fact, you attempt to term it an 'obsession". I am very much afraid that trying to dismiss evidence with an epithet just won't make it with anyone who values evidence over ad hominem attacks.
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:48 am
I'd prefer that this other discussion be moved to another thread. I had hoped that the movie "United 93" could be discussed here.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:06 pm
I agree -- this was a thread on a particular film and somehow it's been derailed. :wink:
0 Replies
 
Bella Dea
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:12 pm
flushd wrote:

I don't know. It disturbs me and makes me uncomfortable. Am I the only one who feels this way?


Me too.

My hubby wants to see it but I am hesitant.
0 Replies
 
Bella Dea
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:15 pm
BernardR wrote:
Dlowan, you ask "What is it with me and Albee"? Have you seen or read the play?

First of all, he is my favorite playwright. That should be enough.

But, more significantly, Albee has struck a blow for those who believe that people should be allowed to love their pets. By love, he means carnal love. He is, in his play, clearly in favor of Bestiality. Only those who do not know the joys of close interaction with one's pets will scoff.
Albee has struck a blow against the forces of intolerance and hate who do not understand the true nature of love and affection--even if it is between a man and his beast.

Now, do you understand why I reference Albee. He speaks the truth and is trying to free us from years of intolerance and hate!!!


Shocked

Cuz that dog gets to decide to get stuck by his owner. Yeah. Ok. Freak.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 01:20 pm
I don't think sierra's joking. I feel sorry for his/her pets.
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 01:28 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
flushd wrote:

I don't know. It disturbs me and makes me uncomfortable. Am I the only one who feels this way?


Me too.

My hubby wants to see it but I am hesitant.

The film is only a very dramatic retelling of the actual events. WW2 was also a tragedy of epic proportions, yet there are hundreds of films about it, most of which certainly mean no disrespect.
0 Replies
 
Bella Dea
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 02:02 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
flushd wrote:

I don't know. It disturbs me and makes me uncomfortable. Am I the only one who feels this way?


Me too.

My hubby wants to see it but I am hesitant.

The film is only a very dramatic retelling of the actual events. WW2 was also a tragedy of epic proportions, yet there are hundreds of films about it, most of which certainly mean no disrespect.


I know. But it still seems very fresh.

People still get a little tied up over WWII and Vietnam movies. I work in the movie world and advertisers are extremely hesitant about being associated with those films, and their hesitation obviously comes from their demographic research.

It is controversial? Yes. Should the story be told? Absolutely.

I am just still kind of emotional when it comes to that. Makes me angry and sad still.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:49 pm
They had to fill in the blanks to dramatize the story so it cannot be absolutely true to life. That's where the perception that it's exploiting the event comes up. Were the movie exploiting WWII? You bet -- to sell movie tickets. "The Best Days of Our Lives" may be the only film that was actually an anti-war film. The Vietnam war was exploited in "The Green Berets," but if this is really a much better movie than that travesty, it will be forgiven by many as a sincere effort to punctuate the bravery of those on board. Not the terrorists, of course -- I don't believe that is equal to any kind of courage, just insane religious dogma in action.
0 Replies
 
BernardR
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:54 pm
Bella Dea-In Albee's wonderful play, there is no indication that the "beloved goat" was in any way recalcitrant. Albee is merely pointing out the intolerance and hate in our society which would block consensual love between a man and his pet goat.

This will make a great ground breaking movie. It will. at last, lift the lid off of the love that dare not speak its name.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:57 pm
Whoops--I meant, of course, "The Best Years of Our Lives."
0 Replies
 
panzade
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:04 pm
I wonder if the movie will be featured on United's in-flight movie programs?
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:32 pm
Oooooh that smarts.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:41 pm
That's wicked but it does make a point. When will they produce a movie about the collapose of the towers? It would seem it could end up being a tacky replay of "The Towering Inferno."
0 Replies
 
panzade
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:43 pm
but on a serious note...as a frequent flier I can't bear to watch it. Last time out to Vancouver we hit the worst turbulance I've ever encountered...passengers were screaming and praying...and even the stews were ashen.
A fear gripped me like I've never felt before...I just can't imagine what it would be like to make that fateful decision
0 Replies
 
panzade
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:45 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
That's wicked but it does make a point. When will they produce a movie about the collapose of the towers? It would seem it could end up being a tacky replay of "The Towering Inferno."


I imagine it's harder to make a movie about something that everyone watched a gazillion times on video, than something that only the doomed passengers saw happen.
0 Replies
 
Bella Dea
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:40 am
panzade wrote:
but on a serious note...as a frequent flier I can't bear to watch it. Last time out to Vancouver we hit the worst turbulance I've ever encountered...passengers were screaming and praying...and even the stews were ashen.
A fear gripped me like I've never felt before...I just can't imagine what it would be like to make that fateful decision


I think you were on the same flight as this guy I sat next to on my last flight. He told me that a few weeks back, he was on a flight that was so awful, people were praying and crying...

I always look to the flight attendents. If they look scared, I get scared.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:27 am
Yes, if one has every had a really bad experience on a flight, they certainly wouldn't be compelled to see this film. It would be like the scene in "Airplane!" with the in-flight movie depicting a plane crash. In this case, however, there's no humor in it at all.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » United 93
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/23/2021 at 10:11:20