United 93

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:05 pm
Your lack of perception is phenominal. I did not state that it was my opinion. Apparantly, the dunce cap does not fit and is causing you headaches. Aspirin, anyone?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:25 pm
My lack of perception is what? "Phenominal"???(sic)

The dunce cap is yours-- You really should use spell check.

The correct spelling is Phenomenal. If you can't spell an easy word like that how can you possibly understand reviews on movies?

I'm sure you would have trouble reading Roger Ebert.He uses BIG words sometimes.

He even uses "PHENOMENAL"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:47 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
At the time United 93 crashed, the military was frantically seeking permission to shoot down the planes, but had not yet received it.

The crash was not due to low altitude, but to the combination of low altitude and the terrorist pilot being stabbed and pulled out of the pilot's seat, while resisting. Once you're in a nose dive, it's kind of hard for an amateur pilot to sit in the chair and level the plane off immediately with controls of a type he's never seen.

From what I have seen of the reconstruction and analysis of the black box recordings there was no evidence to have any sense of whether the passengers had got in into the cockpit or not, (though some evidence that they had, but no details at all) so either that is dramatic licence taken to extremes......or, has there been some further information that has became available giving some well supported version of what happened in the end?

Not that it takes away from the courage, whatever happened......the courage was in taking action.

I hope I have the guts to do that if ever in a similar situation, I really do.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:32 am
Stooping to correcting typos now. It figures. A side-stepping tactic to avoid the actual argument. I stated that the film could be perceived as exploitive and that's understandable no matter what the reviewers write.
Exactly like "Brokeback Mountain," where the critics almost unanimously agreed it was not exploitive but a few naysayers who haven't even seen the movie believe it is.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:42 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Not sure how well this film will do -- it still has the stigma of exploitation no matter how well done (that's not my definite opinion but I think it is a perception that is valid). So far, it's at $16m but its estimated cost is $15M (the CGI effects likely drove that up). I don't really want to see this film -- I know what a tremendous sacrifice this was but I would rather deal with it in the abstract.

Those are my feelings as well.

I can't get past the feeling inside that it is tacky to make this film - no matter how well done. And accuracy?
I don't know. It disturbs me and makes me uncomfortable. Am I the only one who feels this way?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:12 pm
You know all. It's odd how movies and life often make us imagine and then come back to earth. I flew for the very first time in my life shortly after 9/11. I was prepared to be fear stricken, and just the opposite occurred. The only fear that I really had was getting from concourse to concourse with my husband who was out of it at the time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:17 pm
You have to admit it is getting great reviews -- 91% on the Rotten Tomatoes gauge:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/united_93/
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 11:24 am
It may be that "Brokeback Mountain" is indeed breaking new ground.
The virtures of tolerance. love and forebearance are implcit in its script. I have read that "Brokeback" may lead to another plea for tolerance and liberty. There have been discussions about the filming of the great play by one of our genius playwrights- Edward Albee. Albee gave us the incredibly beautiful play called-"Who is Sylvia" or "The Goat". The play is really a plea for understanding of the people among us who really love their pets. Some people try to undermine this these by calling it beastiality but Albee presents us with a man who really loves his goat, has carnal relations with the goat and, at the end, is absolutely disconsolate when his jealous wife murders the goat and tosses it on the living room floor.

Anyone who has not seen the play and heard the anguished cry of the man who loved his goat---"I REALLY LOVED HER-WHY DID YOU HAVE TO KILL HER" will get a new appreciation of those who oppose rigid and unreasonable societal strictures against loving( yes, carnally) your beloved animals.

I look forward to the film's release.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 11:42 am
Italgato.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 12:06 pm
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 11:11 pm
Most people think that Albee is one of our country's most brilliant playwrights. He is certainly a higher level genius than Ang.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 11:35 pm
BernardR wrote:
If you can't spell an easy word like that how can you possibly understand reviews on movies?

The winner of the award for Logic of the Year, ladies and gents. *polite applause*
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 01:34 am
smog wrote:
BernardR wrote:
If you can't spell an easy word like that how can you possibly understand reviews on movies?

The winner of the award for Logic of the Year, ladies and gents. *polite applause*

Yeppers...and plenty more of that quality to come.

This is Italmassagrotto's latest persona, methinketh.

Should be some real keepers coming.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 02:29 am
You are absolutely correct,Dlowan. How percpetive of you. But tell me, have you had the thrilling experience of seeing one of the best plays of the modern era--"Who is Slyvia" or "The Goat"by the brilliant Edward ALbee? If you have not, I urge you to see it. It is a plea for tolerance and love. These are, if I may say so, two virtues which are lacking in our modern day!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 04:58 am
BernardR wrote:
You are absolutely correct,Dlowan. How percpetive of you. But tell me, have you had the thrilling experience of seeing one of the best plays of the modern era--"Who is Slyvia" or "The Goat"by the brilliant Edward ALbee? If you have not, I urge you to see it. It is a plea for tolerance and love. These are, if I may say so, two virtues which are lacking in our modern day!!

What's with you and Albee?
0 Replies

pokernut951

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 01:15 pm
I thought this was a well made movie. Watching it with and audience was an interesting experience. Everybody in the theatre had a shared connection with the subject matter. All I can say is that it was mostly a personal experience.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 02:06 pm
dlowan wrote:
BernardR wrote:

It's a wish dream. He wishes he were the goat.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 03:22 pm
Laughing

I read a couple reviews. Very weird, to say the absolute least.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 03:58 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
dlowan wrote:
BernardR wrote:

It's a wish dream. He wishes he were the goat.

Well, so far he is obsessed with Ted Kennedy, Albee and someone else whose name I have forgotten.

It IS an interesting play, though. And, at least it is fairly current.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:33 am
Dlowan, you ask "What is it with me and Albee"? Have you seen or read the play?

First of all, he is my favorite playwright. That should be enough.

But, more significantly, Albee has struck a blow for those who believe that people should be allowed to love their pets. By love, he means carnal love. He is, in his play, clearly in favor of Bestiality. Only those who do not know the joys of close interaction with one's pets will scoff.
Albee has struck a blow against the forces of intolerance and hate who do not understand the true nature of love and affection--even if it is between a man and his beast.

Now, do you understand why I reference Albee. He speaks the truth and is trying to free us from years of intolerance and hate!!!
0 Replies