real life

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 07:04 am
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
You cannot find any support in scripture for the idea that God cannot know the moral future of an individual without violating the individual's free will.

You may not understand how this can be so, but God is also not limited by our understanding of His ability.
I would find it cruel for an all powerful being to offer me choice while knowing all the time that I would fail. Why not just zap me and get it over with?

Dok has once again revealed the real flaw in the concept of necessary omniscience. If God knew/knows everything in advance then he knew the consequences of Adam and Eve's sin. All the evil and misery and human suffering that we have seen in the world would have at one time existed only in the mind of God. What an unspeakable cruelty to unleash this all on much weaker sentient creatures.

I would have no problem with declaring God to be omniscient if I could say that he applies this power selectively. The definition of the word does not seem to allow that.

Tell me what you think these mean

Quote:
18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

20Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Quote:
8And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 07:55 am
It would be a courtesy to those who are not familiar with KJV to include chapter and verse. (In this case 1 Peter, ch 1 and Revelation, ch 13) For all the casual reader might know, you could be quoting from the Book of Darwin.

What are you telling me? That God predestined those written in the book of life? Or that Jesus' sacrifice was foreordained before the creation of Adam and Eve?

Many preachers have said such.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 07:58 am
Predestinted?

Any Calvinists in here i could poke with a sharp stick?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:15 am
None over here, sorry.

My Calvinist friends tell me I was predestined to be an Arminian.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:18 am
neologist wrote:

What are you telling me?

I didn't write those verses.

What do you think those who wrote them meant?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:44 am
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:

What are you telling me?

OK, let's first clear up what is meant by the 'founding of the world':

Clearly, this does not refer to a time before the creation of mankind, but a time after the Edenic rebellion and before the birth of Abel. Eve having been the last of his works, we read in Hebrews 4:4: ". . . although his works were finished from the founding of the world."

So, Jesus foreordination would not have become manifest until after his future sacrifice had become necessary. What sort of conversation may have taken place between Jesus and his father after Adam ate the fruit is left to speculation.

Now you tell me what is meant by the citation from Revelation.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 02:07 pm
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:

What are you telling me?

Clearly, this does not refer to a time before the creation of mankind, but a time after the Edenic rebellion and before the birth of Abel. Eve having been the last of his works, we read in Hebrews 4:4: ". . . although his works were finished from the founding of the world."

So, Jesus foreordination would not have become manifest until after his future sacrifice had become necessary. What sort of conversation may have taken place between Jesus and his father after Adam ate the fruit is left to speculation.

The passage in I Peter says that Christ was foreordained before[/u] the foundation of the world, not after the Garden of Eden.

The passage in Revelation indicates God's foreknowledge by stating that the names are written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world (i.e from the beginning) compare with Rev 17:8

It is completely incongruous with your statement that God does not necessarily know the moral and spiritual future of everyone.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:53 pm
Ahhhh...Arminian.

No wonder you are so stubborn, the greatest punishment for you (the loss of grace and salvation) is reserved for those who lose faith.

How many Arminians ever escape such a watertight trap? Must take a lot of mental courage.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:53 pm
Eorl wrote:
Ahhhh...Arminian.

No wonder you are so stubborn, the greatest punishment for you (the loss of grace and salvation) is reserved for those who lose faith.

How many Arminians ever escape such a watertight trap? Must take a lot of mental courage.

Well, my Calvinist friends refer to me as Arminian because I believe man has been given a free will, but on other points I don't really fit the classic definition of Arminianism so well.

For instance, I am not in the slightest worried about losing my faith or salvation.

Sorry to disappoint your desire to pigeonhole me.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:06 pm
Well then tell us. Which pigeon hole do you fit?

Alternatively, do you think you are the only one who knows what your god is and what he wants from us?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:53 pm
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
You have just invalidated gods omniscience.
Smile

You apparently don't understand the term.

Oh, I understand the term just fine. It is you that can not seem to comprehend the juxtaposition here.
Omniscience necessitates having all knowledge.
All knowledge would include the sum total of the future evils committed by man.
If this omniscience preceded creation, it must be assumed that the knowledge that evil would be brought about through the act of creation also preceded creation.
If god is also omnipotent, it would have been in his power to easily create without the inclusion of evil and suffering.
Therefore it can only be concluded that the existence of these things, given an omnipotent and omniscient god, must have been intended
Understand yet?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:23 pm
Re: Omniscience
neologist wrote:
Does the concept of omniscience necessarily apply to your definition of a supreme being?
If we assume such an idealization has any plausibility at all, my concept of omniscience could not apply to a supreme being unless or until such a being was demonstrable beyond reasonable doubt.

My concept of omniscience could however apply to the highly advanced future progeny of man be they biological or mechanical or otherwise, and/or to a highly advanced extra solar race.

Understand however that these beings need not actually have "total knowledge" in order for man to define them as having omniscience. All these advanced beings need do is demonstrate to man beyond reasonable doubt they have total knowledge. That is not omniscience but we would not know it wasn't.

Omniscience: having total knowledge; knowing everything.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:50 am
Doktor S wrote:
....If this omniscience preceded creation, it must be assumed that the knowledge that evil would be brought about through the act of creation also preceded creation....

This is where your error shows up.

Earlier, you were on track when you stated:

Doktor S wrote:
....Knowing isn't doing. Omniscience does not imply a necessity to do.....

But now you do not seem to realize that you are contradicting your earlier statement.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:51 pm
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:

What are you telling me?

The passage in I Peter says that Christ was foreordained before[/u] the foundation of the world, not after the Garden of Eden. . .
You should read the passage more carefully. The world (as it presently is) was not founded until after the Edenic rebellion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:55 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Does the concept of omniscience necessarily apply to your definition of a supreme being?
If we assume such an idealization has any plausibility at all, my concept of omniscience could not apply to a supreme being unless or until such a being was demonstrable beyond reasonable doubt.

My concept of omniscience could however apply to the highly advanced future progeny of man be they biological or mechanical or otherwise, and/or to a highly advanced extra solar race.

Understand however that these beings need not actually have "total knowledge" in order for man to define them as having omniscience. All these advanced beings need do is demonstrate to man beyond reasonable doubt they have total knowledge. That is not omniscience but we would not know it wasn't.

That's an interesting slant. But the fact remains that the preponderance of people understand the word 'omniscience' to mean the necessary knowledge of all things, including the future.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:11 pm
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
....If this omniscience preceded creation, it must be assumed that the knowledge that evil would be brought about through the act of creation also preceded creation....

This is where your error shows up.

Earlier, you were on track when you stated:

Doktor S wrote:
....Knowing isn't doing. Omniscience does not imply a necessity to do.....

But now you do not seem to realize that you are contradicting your earlier statement.

Nonsense.
The contradiction only exists in your imagination.
Omniscience only requires a necessity to know, and I have neither implied nor directly stated anything other than that. However the logical connundrum still exists.
You can flip flop and flounder all you like, but you just aren't going to be able to swim through this.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:17 pm
To avoid your usual slippery avoidance of the issue, let's get into specifics.

For you to disagree with my previous post, you would have to believe either
A: your diety did not have knowledge of evil prior to creation. This would imply a god that is not omniscient.
B: Your deity did have knowledge of evil prior to creation, but was powerless to do anything about it. This would imply a god that is not omnipotent.

Or
C: your deity had knowledge of evil prior to creation, and had full power to do something about it. This would imply a god that is sadistic, evil, and cruel.

Which is it RL?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:40 pm
Doktor S wrote:

A: your diety did not have knowledge of evil prior to creation. This would imply a god that is not omniscient.
B: Your deity did have knowledge of evil prior to creation, but was powerless to do anything about it. This would imply a god that is not omnipotent.

Or
C: your deity had knowledge of evil prior to creation, and had full power to do something about it. This would imply a god that is sadistic, evil, and cruel.

Which is it RL?
A: Works pretty good, real. It allows for God to have the power of foreknowledge and the ability to use it selectively.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:48 pm
neologist wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

Or

Which is it RL?
A: Works pretty good, real. It allows for God to have the power of foreknowledge and the ability to use it selectively.

T'is true, Neo.
Your god seems free of this particular logical problem.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:55 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:

That's an interesting slant. But the fact remains that the preponderance of people understand the word 'omniscience' to mean the necessary knowledge of all things, including the future.
You asked for the individual's perspective in your opening gambit. You did not ask for the individual's opinion of your opinion that the preponderance of people's opinion of the definition of omniscience must infer need.

So when I composed my first post, I searched out a handy-dandy dictionary or two. On that basis I re-confirm the definition I provided of omniscience: having total knowledge; knowing everything.

I'm sorry (but as other have also said) the inference of "necessary" is not inherent to the definition of omniscience. As discussed omniscience is only the idealization of total knowledge, without plausibility unless or until it can be demonstrable beyond reasonable doubt.

Further as discussed, if omniscience a.k.a. total knowledge was be proven beyond reasonable doubt to man, this does mean in and of itself that omniscience exists in any absolute sense. It only means its been demonstrated to man beyond his reasonable doubt. Thus the perception of omniscience in this case would be within the limited scope of man's perceptions.

In fact the only way one could judge absolute omniscience would be to have total knowledge oneself (hence one of the reasons I refer to the hubris of many religionists).
0 Replies