neologist

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:43 pm
Doktor S wrote:
. . . Someone demonstrate how freewill and causality can co-exist without invoking the supernatural?
I think you are right, Dok. The bible makes its case in favor of free will and the supernatural, or spiritual, some would say.

In the grand scheme of things, you guys already know that I am of the conviction not only that free will exists but that it is the defining gift of love to sentient creatures by God.

I realize that many look at the misery and suffering of the world and shake their heads over my belief. I answer that what seems to be an interminable ordeal for us is only a few hours to God,
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:08 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Sure.
Lets start with the premise that everything when seen in retrospect has a cause, or a wide variety of influences that constitutes a cause. Nothing 'just happens' that we know of. (free of quantum theory, which is really just philosophy..)
In order to have true free will, ie be able to arrive at a 'choice' and have the freedom to go either direction implies freedom from the causes that lead to that 'decision'. But we are not free from causes, everything we do is backed by myriads of causes. Again, this becomes blatantly clear when events are examined in retrospect.
So it seems to me, freewill and causality are incompatible, even paradoxical. Causality is demonstrable. Freewill is not.
Since it seems that they can't co-exist it seems logical to conclude freewill is an illusion at best.
But, perhaps I am mistaken about everything. Someone demonstrate how freewill and causality can co-exist without invoking the supernatural?

Everything has a cause, you state. But you try to exclude freewill by definition from the list of possible causes.

'There is no free will because everything has a cause. Free will cannot cause any thing because it is not a cause.'

Nice circular argument.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 08:09 pm
neologist wrote:
I realize that many look at the misery and suffering of the world and shake their heads over my belief. I answer that what seems to be an interminable ordeal for us is only a few hours to God,
Do you think you could ask god to lay off the relativity stuff and pick up a Timex at Costco?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:57 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Do you think you could ask god to lay off the relativity stuff and pick up a Timex at Costco?
He just won't take suggestions from yokel like me.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 11:05 pm
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Sure.
Lets start with the premise that everything when seen in retrospect has a cause, or a wide variety of influences that constitutes a cause. Nothing 'just happens' that we know of. (free of quantum theory, which is really just philosophy..)
In order to have true free will, ie be able to arrive at a 'choice' and have the freedom to go either direction implies freedom from the causes that lead to that 'decision'. But we are not free from causes, everything we do is backed by myriads of causes. Again, this becomes blatantly clear when events are examined in retrospect.
So it seems to me, freewill and causality are incompatible, even paradoxical. Causality is demonstrable. Freewill is not.
Since it seems that they can't co-exist it seems logical to conclude freewill is an illusion at best.
But, perhaps I am mistaken about everything. Someone demonstrate how freewill and causality can co-exist without invoking the supernatural?

Everything has a cause, you state. But you try to exclude freewill by definition from the list of possible causes.

'There is no free will because everything has a cause. Free will cannot cause any thing because it is not a cause.'

Nice circular argument.

Sometimes you are so utterly clueless it baffles my mind.

For starters, that isn't the argument I made. WTF are you smokin son?

I was explaining why 'freewill' is mutually exclusive to the supernatural, explained why, and challenged anyone to present a counter argument as to how they might co-exist...which neither you nor anyone else has been able to produce.

Big surprise.

That your reply totally fails to address this speaks of blissful ignorance or slippery deception, and I know your posting style well enough to assume the latter.

Yawn. Boring.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:09 am
Hey Doc got a minute? You missed my last post.
Doktor S wrote:
Sure.

Chumly wrote:
Don't expect me to demonstrate how free will and causality can co-exist without invoking the supernatural that's fer damn sure!

By free wall as applied to people do you mean: "the partial freedom of the agent, in acts of conscious choice, from the determining compulsion of heredity, environment and circumstance"? http://www.willdurant.com/glossary.htm

I take it you believe there will come a time when a new scientific theory supplants Quantum Theory, and the proposition of causation will once again reign supreme in the subatomic world, or are you only referring to the philosophical implications of Quantum Theory as applied to people?

Staying with the Quantum premise for a bit, assuming I built a thinking machine that used a random number generator to guide its actions, could that machine be in some sense considered to have free will?

How do you explain the individual's objective perceptions that a least to some degree, under certain circumstances, it appears to said individual that at least in some sense, a decision was reached based on freedom of choice? Is it simply that the individual has neither the time nor ability to assess the underlying causation in its entirety? Is it hubris?

Do you see any difference between the free will arguments one might make as per the individual, and the free will arguments one might make as per mankind as a whole?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:47 am
Chumly, your quote from Durant refers to free will as " . . . the partial freedom of the agent, in acts of conscious choice, from the determining compulsion . . ."

I'm comfortable with that. I think our system of jurisprudence is based on a similar concept.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:04 am
Hi Chum.
Quote:

Don't expect me to demonstrate how free will and causality can co-exist without invoking the supernatural that's fer damn sure!

I certainly didn't expect you to. this challenge was directed more towards real life, who seems to assert the two (freewill/supernatural) are not mutually exclusive. For the life of me I can't imagine how.
Quote:

By free wall as applied to people do you mean: "the partial freedom of the agent, in acts of conscious choice, from the determining compulsion of heredity, environment and circumstance"? http://www.willdurant.com/glossary.htm

Sure, that works. the qualifier 'partial' may make it easier to argues against my point, but I'm willing to accept that. Still seem's one heck of a mountain to climb to separate that partial freedom from supernatural inferences.
Quote:

I take it you believe there will come a time when a new scientific theory supplants Quantum Theory, and the proposition of causation will once again reign supreme in the subatomic world, or are you only referring to the philosophical implications of Quantum Theory as applied to people?

I don't know that QT will be supplanted, only that in it's current state the evidence isn't there to call it hard science. Perhaps one day, not today.
Quote:

Staying with the Quantum premise for a bit, assuming I built a thinking machine that used a random number generator to guide its actions, could that machine be in some sense considered to have free will?

There is no such thing as a 'random' number generator..only a program that would produce digits unknown to us beforehand. The mechanisms used by software to produce a digit isn't really random. However the lack of foreknowledge of the number produced to the observer would create an appearance of freewill. Much like human action. I do believe in the illusion of freewill, but see deterministic mechanics in the background.
Quote:

How do you explain the individual's objective perceptions that a least to some degree, under certain circumstances, it appears to said individual that at least in some sense, a decision was reached based on freedom of choice? Is it simply that the individual has neither the time nor ability to assess the underlying causation in its entirety? Is it hubris?

The conscious mind is only a small part of the human machine. There is much we have no conscious control of, or even awareness of. (what is your kidney doing at this precise moment in time I wonder?)
Just 'cause an individual cannot fully comprehend the myriads of causes that drive his actions doesn't mean they aren't there.
Example: Joe wants an ice cream cone. He has a 'choice' between chocolate and vanilla. Joe 'chooses' chocolate.
Why? Joe once drank a bottle of vanilla extract as a child. He got very sick and was throwing up vanilla for hours. Joe forgot about this, but the memory still resides in his subconscious. Also, joe has been inundated lately with adds for hagen-das gourmet chocolate ice cream. The adds weren't on his mind at the time of the purchase, but again..they were in his subconscious. Imagine 10 or 11 more possible experiences throughout his life similar to the ones described, both in and out of conscious memory, and his 'decision' reads much more like an equation.
Ask joe and he'll tell you he just doesn't like vanilla, without really knowing or caring why. To him, the choice to eat chocolate was purely of the will, but when examined that just isn't the case.
Quote:

Do you see any difference between the free will arguments one might make as per the individual, and the free will arguments one might make as per mankind as a whole?

How would they differ?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 11:42 am
1) Alan Turing proposed an operational test of intelligence as a replacement for the philosophical question, "Can machines think?" Why can't a similar replacement for the philosophical question "Can machines have free will?" be applied to the said machine?

To be a further trouble maker we could split a beam of photons on a beam splitter (a quantum mechanical source of true randomness) for said machine's random number generator.

Granted Will Durant's definition of freewill means "acts of conscious choice" so we must also use the Turing Test as a replacement for the philosophical question, "Can machines think?"

2) As to your views that Quantum Theory "in it's current state the evidence isn't there to call it hard science". Although the predictions of quantum mechanics have never been falsifiability|disproved after a century's worth of experiments most physicists believe that quantum mechanics provides a correct description for the physical world under almost all circumstances.

The only known exceptions, where quantum mechanics may fail, are situations where the effects of general relativity, the dominant theory of gravity, are important: this happens in the vicinity of black holes, or when considering the observable Universe as a whole. It is believed that the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity, the two great achievements of physics in the 20th century, contradict one another.
http://wiki.advancedphysics.org/index.php/Quantum_Mechanics

3) As to your how might I see differences between the free will arguments one might make as per the individual, and the free will arguments one might make as per mankind as a whole:

Without freewill mankind as a whole would have a genetic-sociological inevetitlblty/causality of which the individual could not really encompass as their genetics are fixed (so far) and they don't live long enough (so far). Also at least using Will Durant's definition of freewill unified "acts of conscious choice" do not seem possible with mankind as a whole. So in that sense it would appear mankind as a whole has less potential for freewill than the individual,

Yet on the other hand, it brings up the question of the butterfly effect in terms of whether or not a sufficient level of randomness exists as per mankind as a whole to potentially negate (at least to some degree) the genetic-sociological inevetitlblty/causality if we replace the philosophical question, "can mankind as a whole have free will", with the equivalent of a random number generator guiding mankind as a whole. The equivalent in this case being the butterfly effect.

4) A while ago I posted that if there is any chance of freewill it would have to exist within a given time frame (Neo teased about this, now he gets his comeuppance).

By that I meant with very short time periods (fractions of a second) an individual could not have freewill nor could mankind as a whole. And again with longer time periods, an individual's freewill appears to be impossible due to either death, or the inability to consistently maintain the specified (presumably) freewill derived objective. And with multi generational time periods the question of the individual versus mankind as a whole rears its ugly head as per 3) above.

Comments welcome from all creatures big and small.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:17 pm
What would be the purpose of penology?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:47 pm
I think you mean penitentiary science's potential efficacy and not its presumed idealizations. Given that you have yet to show that penitentiary science's idealized purposes are in any way congruent with whatever pragmatic efficacy penitentiary science might have.

And how come you have said nada about my oh-so-nifty post? Heartbroken I am, shattered………
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:14 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Sure.

Nice circular argument.

I was explaining why 'freewill' is mutually exclusive to the supernatural, explained why, and challenged anyone to present a counter argument as to how they might co-exist...which neither you nor anyone else has been able to produce.

Big surprise.

That your reply totally fails to address this speaks of blissful ignorance or slippery deception, and I know your posting style well enough to assume the latter.

Yawn. Boring.

On the contrary, your argument has been countered. You would like to pretend that no one has challenged it, but I clearly pointed out that yours is a circular argument.

Your argument is invalid regardless of whether or not the supernatural is even considered. It falls at the starting gate before getting onto the track.

You want to assert that 'causes lead to decisions'.

You have not defined 'causes' , nor described how they 'lead to' decisions.

Do these undefined 'causes' force you to make a choice you do not want to make?

Or do these undefined 'causes' force you to want to make the choices you make?

The only thing that is clear from your post is that , by definition, you seek to exclude freewill as a possible 'cause' of any decision or action.

It's a circular argument.

'Freewill is not responsible for any event. Why? Because 'causes' are responsible and freewill is not a 'cause'. '

The burden of proof is upon you to show what your undefined 'causes' are, why freewill is not a 'cause', and how they 'lead to' (i.e. force) decisions to be made or actions to be performed if no such thing as freewill is involved.

---------------------------------------------

If your theory were true , then DS you are not responsible for the beliefs that you hold, and can claim no credit for them.

This is particulary dire for you, since you pride yourself on your self-perceived superiority in judgement and intellect.

But if there is no freewill, then (even if your beliefs about all things happened to be true) you are no more than a lucky accident.

Dumb luck is hardly anything to be superior about.

------------------------------------------

But back to reality.

I can assure you that the things you believe are NOT true. (For starters, you are not god. You fit no definition of god, except the one you invented in your head.)

And I can assure you that you are certainly responsible for your beliefs and actions. No undefined 'cause' can be blamed.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:19 pm
Chumly wrote:
I think you mean penitentiary science's potential efficacy and not its presumed idealizations. Given that you have yet to show that penitentiary science's idealized purposes are in any way congruent with whatever pragmatic efficacy penitentiary science might have.

And how come you have said nada about my oh-so-nifty post? Heartbroken I am, shattered………
There were so many words, my brain fell out just from looking.

All I meant by my question was if there were no free will, wouldn't it be unfair to punish criminals?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:25 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:

All I meant by my question was if there were no free will, wouldn't it be unfair to punish criminals?

I suppose to be consistent we'd have to say we had no choice but to do so if there is no free will.

Funny though, I'd expect that many of the inmates at the pen would tell you that what happened wasn't their fault, and they are there through no choice of their own.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 10:42 pm
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Sure.

Nice circular argument.

Big surprise.

Yawn. Boring.

On the contrary, your argument has been countered. You would like to pretend that no one has challenged it, but I clearly pointed out that yours is a circular argument.

Your argument is invalid regardless of whether or not the supernatural is even considered. It falls at the starting gate before getting onto the track.

The only thing that is clear from your post is that , by definition, you seek to exclude freewill as a possible 'cause' of any decision or action.

'Freewill is not responsible for any event. Why? Because 'causes' are responsible and freewill is not a 'cause'. '

The burden of proof is upon you to show what your undefined 'causes' are, why freewill is not a 'cause', and how they 'lead to' (i.e. force) decisions to be made or actions to be performed if no such thing as freewill is involved.

If your theory were true , then DS you are not responsible for the beliefs that you hold, and can claim no credit for them.

This is particulary dire for you, since you pride yourself on your self-perceived superiority in judgement and intellect.

But if there is no freewill, then (even if your beliefs about all things happened to be true) you are no more than a lucky accident.

But back to reality.

I can assure you that the things you believe are NOT true. (For starters, you are not god. You fit no definition of god, except the one you invented in your head.)

And I can assure you that you are certainly responsible for your beliefs and actions. No undefined 'cause' can be blamed.

You say my argument is circular because I have ruled out 'freewill' as a cause.I already pointed out you have misinterpreted my argument, in fact this argument is not only not what I presented but it isn't even circulus en demonstrato. You just keep building up that straw man, I'm nowhere near it.
Since you didn't understand, let me break it down a little more for you. ( I do apologize for continually forgetting to dumb down my posts for you, I'll try to do better in the future)
Quote:

The point you totally missed is that freewill, by definition, implies freedom from all external causes. The freedom to choose, completely unrestricted, with that choice being born in some sort of void or magical nebula or whatever you believe, just not as a result of outside influence. It's unprecedented (unless of course you already hold supernatural beliefs) and makes no sense in a naturalistic (read:realistic) worldview.

It's whole lot of hot air and blustering until you can demonstrate how freewill can exist free of supernatural inferences, which is a question you have been dodging since this dialogue began.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 11:46 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Sure.

Nice circular argument.

Big surprise.

Yawn. Boring.

But back to reality.

You say my argument is circular because I have ruled out 'freewill' as a cause.I already pointed out you have misinterpreted my argument, in fact this argument is not only not what I presented but it isn't even circulus en demonstrato. You just keep building up that straw man, I'm nowhere near it.
Since you didn't understand, let me break it down a little more for you. ( I do apologize for continually forgetting to dumb down my posts for you, I'll try to do better in the future)
Quote:

The point you totally missed is that freewill, by definition, implies freedom from all external causes. The freedom to choose, completely unrestricted, with that choice being born in some sort of void or magical nebula or whatever you believe, just not as a result of outside influence. It's unprecedented (unless of course you already hold supernatural beliefs) and makes no sense in a naturalistic (read:realistic) worldview.

It's whole lot of hot air and blustering until you can demonstrate how freewill can exist free of supernatural inferences, which is a question you have been dodging since this dialogue began.

Again you have, as I said, assigned to 'causes' (undefined) the ability to force decisions or actions.

It's one thing to assert. It's another thing to define your terms and prove what you're saying is true. You haven't even attempted this.

All you have done is to repeatedly claim, without proof, that these 'causes' and freewill are mutually exclusive by definition (i.e. that freewill is not a 'cause'), which is exactly what I said you had done.

Thus your circular argument.

BTW an attempt to 'influence' is not the same as causality. (Not even rates a) nice try. Something that influences one's thinking, or introduces options is not at all the same as a 'cause' which 'leads (i.e. forces -- with no other possible outcome) to a decision'.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 11:53 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Well if you impute that the lack of freewill means the inevitability of causality, then punishing criminals is also part and parcel of the absence of free will, just as is the criminal act itself, thus the application of the ethical idealization of fairness (which imputes the ability to apply the tenets of freewill) is not only irrelevant it's impossible.

As you might have guessed by now, I am not at all convinced that the question of freewill has any meaning, not that I mind noodling around with it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 10:53 am
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Well if you impute that the lack of freewill means the inevitability of causality, then punishing criminals is also part and parcel of the absence of free will, just as is the criminal act itself, thus the application of the ethical idealization of fairness (which imputes the ability to apply the tenets of freewill) is not only irrelevant it's impossible.

As you might have guessed by now, I am not at all convinced that the question of freewill has any meaning, not that I mind noodling around with it.
You have the right to choose whatever you wish to noodle. . .
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:16 pm
History and the deeds of religion has shown that it hates free will. Accusations of heresy, apostasy, paganism, heathenism, goyism, infidelism, inquisitions, burning at the stake are all acts of the church to control thought and free will. Religion doesn't believe in free will.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 05:07 pm
talk72000 wrote:
History and the deeds of religion has shown that it hates free will. Accusations of heresy, apostasy, paganism, heathenism, goyism, infidelism, inquisitions, burning at the stake are all acts of the church to control thought and free will. Religion doesn't believe in free will.
Nor do most of the folks posting herein.
0 Replies