How to take back America in 12 Steps

nimh

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 04:07 am
SierraSong wrote:
The US State Department probably just accepted whatever the Swedish government fed them as far as statistics go. Sure looks that way to me.

Well, if the State Department is at fault, the CIA must be equally gullible, because its World Factbook notes:

Quote:
Sweden has achieved an enviable standard of living under a mixed system of high-tech capitalism and extensive welfare benefits. It has a modern distribution system, excellent internal and external communications, and a skilled labor force. [..] The government's commitment to fiscal discipline resulted in a substantial budgetary surplus in 2001, which was cut by more than half in 2002, due to the global economic slowdown, declining revenue, and increased spending. The Swedish central bank (the Riksbank) focuses on price stability with its inflation target of 2%. Growth remained sluggish in 2003, but picked up in 2004 and 2005.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 04:26 am
SierraSong wrote:
You'll notice we aren't exactly rushing to follow the Swedish example since we know the reality is that high taxes equal low growth. Sweden is in a state of general stagnation caused by their crushing tax burden. We know this. The Swedes know this. Everyone knows this. They just won't admit it. Smile

Actually, you might not know it, but "the Swedish model" or "the Scandinavian model" is being widely talked about in Germany and Holland as an example of how the old welfare state can be reformed into competitiveness, without losing its benefit of social cohesion. Mind you, they're no longer talking of the old Sweden of Olaf Palme when they use those labels; they're talking about the way its been reformed and revigorated.

(Un)employment is specifically referred to as one count on which especially a country like Germany, with its reservoir of seemingly inpenetrable long-term unemployment, could well learn from Sweden. It offers preservation of generous benefits, but combined with strictly applied pressure to go back to work, and flexibilisation of the labour market. It poses the expectation that men and women work, but coupled with actually functioning, available and affordable daycare and parttime work arrangements.

This model is taken to suggest a version of the welfare state thats been succesfully "pimped up" to meet the demands of a globalised economy. In fact, Sweden's combination of economic competitiveness with social arrangements that promote social cohesion and public well-being still has an impressive track record. By ways of illustration:

- In the latest edition of UNDP's authoritative Human Development Index, which takes GDP per capita (at purchasing power parity) into account but also life expectancy and literacy rate & enrollment in education, Sweden ranks in a very presentable sixth place (for easy overview see this ranking list).

Sweden ranks behind Norway, Australia and Canada and has Switzerland on its tail, but is ahead of the US (10th) and well ahead of the UK (15th).

- Also available is the trend over time for the HDI. While the Swedish score dropped by 0,009 since 2000, when the country ranked second, it is still well better than it was in 1995 (+0.2) or 1990 (+0.52).

- The UNDP also produces a Human Povery Index for developed countries (HPI-2), which takes into account life expectancy, literacy skills, percentage of people living below the poverty line, and the long-term unemployment rate (there's a neat presentation concisely illustrating the different bases for calculating the HDI, HPI-2, and other development indices).

Here, Sweden comes out on top, in the very first place, ahead of Norway, Finland, the Netherlands and Denmark. The UK is in 15th place; the US at the bottom of the ranking, in 17th place.

- In The Economist's Intelligence Unit's Quality-of-life Index for 2005, which (see also this accompanying article) takes material wellbeing into account as well as health, political freedom, job security, climate, political stability and security, gender equality, and family and community life, Sweden ranks a very decent fifth. It comes in behind Ireland, Norway and Switzerland but well ahead of the US (13th) and the UK (29th).

- Only when one limits measures of prosperity purely to the indicator of gross domestic product, taking the indicator of GDP per capita (PPP), does Sweden indeed rank considerably lower - definitely lower than the US, which is in a proud second place.

Even here, though, it's worth noting that, ranking 19th in the list, Sweden is just one spot below Blairite Britain, and one spot above France.

Moreover, in that purely national-wealth oriented indicator, note that Norway scores third, Iceland fifth and Denmark sixth - all ahead of Canada and Australia as well as the UK, scoring points for "the Scandinavian model".

- Finally, when looking at GDP per capita, further analysis brings up interesting additional data. This admittedly summary and politically engaged article, which comments on the WSJ coverage you quoted above about that Swedish think tank's findings, explains it dispassionately enough:

Quote:
There is triumphalism in the Wall Street Journal's editorial of June 18 about "a growing split between the U.S. and Europe." The WSJ draws on a recent report from the Swedish think tank Timbro that notes the much lower level of income per capita in Europe than in the United States. As the report frames it, average income in most European countries place them well down among the states of the United States: Belgium is comparable to Alabama, Germany to Arkansas, and Spain is poorer than Mississippi. The WSJ attributes Europe's backwardness to its choice of "the welfare state road to decline."

The pieces do not fit quite as neatly in the Economist's June 19th comparison of Europe and America. First, if we exclude Germany [..] GDP per person grew at essentially the same rate in Europe and the United States between 1994 and 2003. Employment grew only a hair slower in Europe, and productivity per worker hour grew slightly faster in Europe. Germany aside, aggregate growth in Europe and the United States over the last decade has been essentially equal.

Still, European income per capita is only about 70 percent of the U.S. average. But here too, there is an important wrinkle. As discussed recently by Harvard economist Olivier Blanchard, income is lower in Europe not because workers are less productive - output per worker hour in Europe and the United States are almost the same - but because Europeans work fewer hours. This is not due primarily to higher unemployment or lower labor market participation, but to a shorter work-week, longer vacations, and earlier retirement. Altogether, Americans work 40 percent more hours over their lives than Europeans. [..]

Between 1970 and 2000, GDP per person rose by 64% in the United States and by 60% in France. In America, this came about because productivity per worker rose by 38% and hours worked per worker rose by 26%. In France, it came about because productivity rose by 83% while hours worked fell by 23%.

Where did the quality of life increase more? Maybe you should take your next hurried vacation in France, to find out.
0 Replies

Solve et Coagula

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 07:05 am
Updated version: How to take back America in 12 Steps

1. Drop Bush&Co. (full scale impeachment/creative coup d'etat of the entire Bush Administration) Where has your famous creativity gone??? Just an idea: Hire Blackwater!!!
2. Drop Clinton&Co. and use your alleged "charity funds" to rebuild the U.S. instead of using it for CIA "spreading democracy"-operations and senseless imperialistic aims.
3. Nationalize the Federal Reserve; Put the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) under strict control of the U.N. Supreme Council for federal banking; Drop the CIA, NSA, Pentagon, and all other criminal networks like Pelicano
4. Drop all current U.S. ambassadors worldwide to elect civilians into service
5. Drop all government and private owned weapon manufacturers
6. Support the new, purified and reorganized U.N. as executive police force
7. Install a sustainable energy policy like Sweden
8. Install a sustainable economic policy
9. Install a sustainable immigration policy like Switzerland
10. Install a sustainable and friendly foreign policy "take and give"
11. Sign the International Criminal Court of Justice
12. Install a Political System similar to Switzerland and motivate your future federal council with draconian penalties to serve the nation:

The Swiss Government consists of the seven members of the Federal Council who are elected by the United Federal Assembly for a four-year mandate.

Switzerland is a joint rule by compromise, direct democracy system with an Executive Federal Council and Legislative, the parliament. watch here: http://www.admin.ch/ch/index.en.html

Finally, please dont forget, its all a big illusion/game... have fun... stand up... you are a real hero... death is just another illusion... you are an invincible warrior for Love, Wisdom and Truth... you are an eternal being without beginning and end...

Best wishes from Switzerland

lwwb
Roger
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 07:22 am
Looking at these statistics, there is no question that Scandinavia is way ahead on most counts.
The mix of capitalism and social conscience is the best way to run a country.
http://www.vexen.co.uk/countries/best.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 07:25 am
This is one of the stupidest suggestions I have ever read.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:01 am
If Switzerland's immigration policy deports illegals, that sounds good.

If Sweden does have a sustainable energy policy that would be good too, but I doubt it, since they import as much oil per person as the US does. It is nice that they get 43% of their electrical production from nukes however, as opposed to 20% for us.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:16 am
The Swedes might get a good race to be energy independent from Brazil.
International league table headed by New Zealand
The tables, produced by international scientists and researchers from Yale and Columbia universities in the US, ranked 133 countries according to how they tried to tackle 16 global and domestic problems and met domestic and world targets.
New Zealand came top, followed by Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic. The report said the world's poorest countries, mainly in Africa, came bottom largely because their governments had no resources to address the mounting problems of drinking water, indoor air pollution, sanitation and loss of forests.
"Good governance emerges as as a critical driver of environmental performance," the report said.
Gus Speth, dean of the Yale school of Forestry and Environmental studies, warned that America's performance, ranked 28th, was of global concern. "The lagging performance of the US on environmental issues, particularly on energy and climate change, signals trouble not only for the American people, but for the whole world."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1693431,00.html
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 03:14 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
detano inipo wrote:
ebrown:

But I am with mysterman on this one.
The twelve points are just musings, I think. Since we chat about other countries all the time, why not chat about the US. It is not 'verboten', yet.
I find the Swiss interesting and well organized. It does not hurt to check them out.

They are silly and anti-American. And I speak as an American Liberal who disagrees with the right (I think I can safely call mysteryman right without offending him) on most issues. On these points (with the exception of #11) I will agree with him. If you can unite a leftist and a righty on an issue... it is simply a unAmerican idea (and probably a bad one).

I wouldn't mind us doint #11 (although I think it is politically unfeasable). Mysterman and I certainly agree with #2. The rest are dumb or dangerous or both (tell me if you don't agree MM).

Now I'm really worried.
Maybe I should rethink my position...LOL
Actually,you are correct.
I do agree with you on this issue.

Lets not make a habit of it though,people might get worried that the world is ending Laughing
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 03:55 pm
Here is a question. What is anti-American? I have read hundreds of political articles and links, posted here, that criticize the US.
95% of them were written by Americans. Are most Ameriicans anti-American? There seems to be total freedom to criticise any country or religion on earth except the US.
I find that strange.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:57 pm
nimh wrote:
Actually, you might not know it, but "the Swedish model" or "the Scandinavian model" is being widely talked about in Germany and Holland as an example of how the old welfare state can be reformed into competitiveness, without losing its benefit of social cohesion. Mind you, they're no longer talking of the old Sweden of Olaf Palme when they use those labels; they're talking about the way its been reformed and revigorated.

If Germany and Holland want to imitate the failed, stagnant economic policies of one of the most heavily taxed countries in the world, then they're welcome to it. We have a saying here in Texas, "misery loves company". I won't tell them how I think they should run their countries, and would appreciate others keeping their advice to themselves about how we should run ours. Another favorite saying here in Texas - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:31 am
One way to judge a country is child poverty. The US is among the worst offenders, since it is not a third world country. Sweden is a good example for all others.
The Americans sound hollow when they make fun of Sweden, one of the best places to live today.
Almost a quarter of all U.S. children live below the nation's poverty line. Figures for Italian, UK and Turkish children are similarly dismal: 1 in every 5.
Canadian children are not quite so unlucky (2 of 13) but they run twice the poverty risk of French children (7.7%) and are 5½ times more likely to live in poverty than Swedish children (1 in 38).
http://www.tagg.org/rants/OECDChildPov.html
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:45 am
SierraSong wrote:
If Germany and Holland want to imitate the failed, stagnant economic policies of one of the most heavily taxed countries in the world, then they're welcome to it. We have a saying here in Texas, "misery loves company".

More about the Swedish economy:

Unemployment Approaches Target

Unemployment in Sweden fell to 4.6 percent in April from 4.8 percent the previous month.

http://www.sr.se/Diverse/AppData/isidor/images/News_images/2054/157156_366_209.gif
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:37 pm
Yes. But many, both inside and outside Sweden recognize that as the "official" unemployment figure ... one that is arrived at by some rather quirky methods (and methods that aren't used by most other countries).

Economists from Sweden's best universities, the head of Sweden's premier think tank, and even some of Sweden's own politicians have all referred to the "real, unofficial unemployment figures" noting that unemployment is especially high among Sweden's immigrant community.

This isn't about bashing Sweden, but I think more and more, the truth is beginning to emerge. Integration has failed. Crime is way up. Rape (especially of children) is twice what it was 10 years ago and "honor killings" are becoming all too familiar. Don't want to believe it? Be my guest. I still have to ask why in the world anyone would advocate imitating the policies of a country that hasn't been able to create jobs in decades and has the highest taxes on the planet. Whomever does decide to imitate them will also have to adopt their somewhat devious ways of counting their unemployed.

Quote:
Official figures hide youth unemployment

Published: 10th April 2006 10:42 CET

The level of youth unemployment in Sweden is wildly underestimated in official figures, according to a report presented on Monday by the New Welfare Foundation, an independent think tank.

Statistics Sweden says that 'open unemployment' among young people aged 16-24 stands at 11%. But according to the report 'Ole, dole, arbetslös', the true figure is closer to 30%.
Related Articles

In the run-up to the election in 2002, Prime Minister Göran Persson promised to halve youth unemployment. Instead, says the author of the report, Esra Karakaya, joblessness has increased by 30%.

"Unemployment among the young is far worse than the impression given by the official statistics. It's not 10% who are without jobs, it's almost 30%," she said.

Karakaya argues that the official figures present a narrow definition of unemployment which excludes key groups of job seekers.

"The most important group is people who become full time students while they are looking for jobs," she told The Local.

"Pretty much every other country includes these people in unemployment figures - except Sweden."

Sweden has excluded this group from the official unemployment rate since the 1980s.

Karakaya said that two other groups who are "in reality unemployed" are those in labour market initiatives and many on long term sick leave.

"According to the Social Insurance Administration, 60% of those on sick leave say they would be able to work if their workplace conditions changed. But the rigidity of the labour market is a big obstacle," she said.

While the report focused on the youth unemployment, the problem of under-reporting is true at all age levels of the labour market, according to Karakaya:

"It's absolutely the case throughout the job market. The real rate of unemployment is about 16.5% rather than the 5.3% which is reported. But it's worse among the young."
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:43 pm
Quote:
AN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Newborns in the United States have the second lowest survival rate in the industrialized world, according to a report released this week.
Babies in their first month of life have the best odds in Japan, which boasts the lowest newborn mortality rate of 1.8 deaths per 1,000 live births, according to a report from the nonprofit group Save the Children. Latvia had the highest mortality rate among the 33 industrialized nations surveyed, at six newborn deaths per 1,000 live births.
The U.S. ranked next to last and tied with Hungary, Malta, Poland and Slovakia, which all averaged five deaths per 1,000 live births. The U.S. newborn mortality rate is nearly three times higher than that of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Japan, the study found.
Minorities had disproportionately high rates. Black Americans had a newborn mortality rate nearly twice the national average, at 9.3 deaths per 1,000 live births. African American babies are twice as likely as white babies to be born prematurely, have low-birth weight and to die at birth, according to Save the Children.
A growing number of people without health insurance, a lack of education in some areas and underlying factors such as poor maternal nutrition, uncontrolled chronic conditions and risky behaviors all play a role in the low U.S. standing, said David Oot, director of the office of health for Save the Children U.S., a member of the global Save the Children Alliance.
"There are real issues around access and use of health services," Oot said.
Education and access to universal health care contribute to the success of nations such as Norway and Finland that ranked near the top for newborn survival, he said.
"There are high levels of education pretty uniformly across the populations of those countries," Oot said. "That has a lot to do with whether mothers seek and use care before, during and after pregnancy. It also has to do with how they care for themselves with nutritional and other practices that might otherwise put them at risk."
Broader focus on maternal health
The study may overstate the problem in the U.S. because what's counted as a newborn death here -- such as a baby born 23 weeks into pregnancy who dies soon thereafter -- may be counted as a fetal death in other nations, said Dr. Nancy Green, medical director for the March of Dimes.
"We are not as good as we should be, but maybe we're not as bad as the numbers would suggest," she said.
Still, the U.S. should be doing more to help women take care of their health before they start families, Green said. Increased attention to family planning and maintaining adequate time between births also reduces the risk of newborn deaths, she said.
"We have not as a nation reached a point of optimizing maternal health, and that's what you're seeing with these sort of mediocre standings in terms of neonatal mortality," Green said.
Maternal health shouldn't focus exclusively on prenatal care but health care in general, she said. "For example, women who are extremely underweight or extremely obese have higher rates of prematurity/low birth weight. There is some rough correlation with overall health and well-being in those issues."
Last month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released recommendations for improving women's health before conception. Among the highlights, the CDC recommends women who want to get pregnant stop smoking and drinking alcohol and take daily supplements of folic acid, which reduces the risk of neural tube defects by two-thirds.
The infant mortality rate, defined as death before the first birthday, was flat in 2003, with 6.8 deaths for every 1,000 live births, according to data from the National Center for Health Statistics. Two-thirds of all infant deaths occurred within the first month of life.
In 2002, about 25% of U.S. newborn deaths were caused by prematurity and low birth weight, and 20% were caused by birth defects, Green said. The rest were due to other problems such as maternal, placental and umbilical cord complications.
Even the lowest-ranking industrialized nations have substantially better infant mortality rates than in sub-Saharan Africa, which has the highest newborn death rates, the report said. One in five mothers there has lost at least one baby in childbirth, and Liberia had the highest mortality rate of all surveyed nations at 65 deaths per 1,000 live births.
Western countries, including the U.S., account for only about 1% of the annual 4 million newborn deaths worldwide, according to Save the Children.
"It's important to remember, while it is an issue certainly in the U.S. and in certain groups in the U.S., globally 99% of deaths in the first month of life occur in the developing world," Oot said. "The tragedy ... is that 70% of those deaths could be prevented with low-cost, low-tech interventions if they were made more available."
Routine childhood vaccines, promotion of immediate and exclusive breastfeeding, warming of the infant and care of a newborn by a skilled birth attendant would raise the survival rate considerably, he said
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:47 pm
Comparison of infant mortality in the United States and Sweden.

Wallace HM, Goldstein H, Ericson A.

This study summarizes differences between Sweden and the United States regarding certain aspects of infant mortality. Sweden has the lowest infant mortality rate (IMR) and the United States is number 16. Both the neonatal and postneonatal mortality rates of Sweden are considerably lower. Since 1960, the neonatal mortality rate of Sweden was reduced by a greater percentage. The incidence of low birth weight in Sweden is considerably lower. In the United States, no state has an IMR as low as that of Sweden. Nonwhite babies, babies born out of wedlock, and those of teenage or "old" mothers have a higher IMR. The article describes in some detail the organization and network of services in Sweden that may be playing an important role in Sweden's low IMR.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:12 am
Best examples: Sweden is near the top, the US is near the bottom. How any American can sneer at Scandinavian countries is hard to understand.
http://www.vexen.co.uk/countries/best.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:34 am
Gross national product is also a good way to judge a country. Perhaps you can post those numbers?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:42 am
McGentrix wrote:
Gross national product is also a good way to judge a country. Perhaps you can post those numbers?

Already did, McG, previous page. In terms of GDP per capita, Sweden ranks 19th in the world, right in between Blair's UK (18th) and France (20th).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:53 am
SierraSong wrote:
I still have to ask why in the world anyone would advocate imitating the policies of a country that hasn't been able to create jobs in decades and has the highest taxes on the planet.

The employment graph shows that, even if unemployment is still high, it is in any case down from early last decade, so jobs are being created. Unless you believe that Sweden's employment stats are not just impure, but are also significantly more impure than fifteen years ago - which would be odd, considering the Sweden of those times was significantly more still of the social-democratic/welfare state model you so despise than that of today.

As for your question, what can I possibly add to this post?

These are good reasons to emulate Sweden's model:

-> In UNDP's Human Development Index, which takes GDP per capita into account but also life expectancy and literacy rate & enrollment in education, Sweden ranks sixth worldwide;

-> In UNDP's Human Povery Index, which takes into account life expectancy, literacy skills, percentage of people living below the poverty line, and the long-term unemployment rate, Sweden comes out best in the world;

-> In The Economist's Intelligence Unit's Quality-of-life Index for 2005, which takes material wellbeing into account as well as health, political freedom, job security, climate, political stability and security, gender equality, and family and community life, Sweden ranks fifth.

-> When talking Europe vs US in general, GDP per person rose by similar percentage in France and the US since 1970; even though in the US, workers now work 26% hours more than back then, and in France, 23% less (dont have data for Sweden).
0 Replies