Marijuana, cocain, heroin, no longer illegal in Mexico?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 08:15 am
Quote:
U.S. critics try to smoke out clarity on Mexican drug bill

By Hugh Dellios
Tribune foreign correspondent

http://i3.tinypic.com/x3d2td.jpg
The possession of small amounts of marijuana and other drugs would be legal under a bill passed by Mexico's Congress.

MEXICO CITY -- President Vicente Fox's government scrambled Tuesday to defend and explain a proposed law that U.S. officials and others fear could send a message that Mexico is softening its stance against drugs.

The legislation, passed last week by the Mexican Congress, designates small quantities of heroin, cocaine and other narcotics that drug addicts and other "consumers" can use without being prosecuted as criminals.

Mexican officials denied Tuesday that the bill is aimed at decriminalizing narcotics. They said it is part of a larger attempt to give local police the ability to battle drug dealers without filling the jails with petty drug users. Fox and his conservative National Action Party originally proposed the legislation two years ago. The president plans to sign the bill, his spokesman, Ruben Aguilar, said Tuesday.

"In principle, it looks like it's a good law and an advance in combating narco-trafficking," Aguilar said. "It establishes the minimum amounts that a citizen can carry for personal use, for addiction problems, for medical treatment problems."

But the law has been sharply criticized on the U.S. side of the border, where local officials fear it could encourage more trafficking and lure tourists and others into Mexico to do drugs. San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders said Friday he is "appalled" by the legislation.

U.S. officials met with Mexican officials in Washington on Monday and urged them to review and clarify the proposal, according to Judith Bryan, the spokeswoman at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.

"We want them to clarify what it means, and not let anyone think the purpose is tolerance," Bryan said. "We urged them to assure that anyone in possession of any quantity of illegal drugs either be prosecuted or diverted to mandatory drug treatment programs."

The bill would make it legal to possess up to 25 milligrams of heroin, 5 grams of marijuana or half a gram of cocaine. It also would be legal to have small amounts of LSD, amphetamines and up to a kilo of peyote.

http://i2.tinypic.com/x3d3c1.jpg

The legislation was passed by the Mexican Senate on Friday after an all-night meeting that wrapped up the Congress' spring session.

Included are provisions that would empower local judges and police to enforce drug laws, something proponents argue would seriously improve Mexico's enforcement because only federal authorities are involved now. The bill also would stiffen penalties for drug dealing.

Under the existing system, judges can overlook possession of small quantities of drugs, but that means small-time users often go to jail while dealers with more money can try to bribe their way out. The new limits would reduce the discretion and help judges determine who should be jailed.

Anyone caught with less than the legal limit of a narcotic would be arrested and sent before a judge, proponents said. If the person could prove drug addiction, he or she would be sent for treatment, not prosecuted.

Critics argue that Mexico does not have enough treatment programs, and that slacking off on enforcement could promote more dealing and recreational drug use.

But some analysts said the measure would help Mexico concentrate on combating international traffickers and on its growing problem of smaller dealers selling drugs on street corners and outside schools.

Border cities such as Nuevo Laredo have been torn by violence and killings as turf battles among drug cartels rage over smuggling routes into the U.S. But officials here are just as worried that Mexico has gone from a transit country for drugs to one with a serious domestic consumption problem.

"Drugs are not being legalized in Mexico," said Ana Maria Salazar, a former U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration official now working as a political analyst in Mexico. "If you are caught with drugs, you will be detained and put in either a criminal process or an administrative process. This is just trying not to clog up the judicial system with addicts."

People coming to Mexico would be "absolutely crazy" to think they can do drugs freely, she said. "And now there will be more police who can arrest them."

Source: Chicago Tribune from today, page 5
Online version
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 04:26 pm
I am fascinated with the Mexican thrust toward the legalization of Marijuana. Ever since I learned that the popular song called La Cucaracha had lyrics in it which spoke of a cockroach being unable to walk because of his intake of Marijuana, I have suspected that Mexico and Mexicans were in favor of such legalization. I await the push for legalization of heroin and cocaine from the Mexican Government.

Mr. Hinteler appears to be in favor of such legalization(Please correct me if I am wrong). I think Germany is a great country. Ever since my friend visited the bordello in Koln called Pasha( I believe), I have become an admirer of German morality in this sphere.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 04:33 pm
That'll make a good avatar, too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 08:44 pm
I don't know whahat the visit of a brothel in Cologne has to do with legalising drugs in Mexico and morality, but if you think that way, it's fine for me.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:26 pm
At this time, it appears that President Fox is not going to sign the legislation decriminalizing Marijuana in Mexico. He apparently learned well at his Alma Mater-Harvard University.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:44 am
Are your eyes permanently crossed from looking down your nose at the entire world? Just curious...
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:42 am
For the record, from this morning's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-legalize4may04,0,6092970.story?coll=la-home-headlines
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:56 am
Yup. The Washington cabal got to Fox. Poor guy had to back down or risk who knows what. Those DEA/CIA types can play hardball. Sad, really.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:14 pm
blacksmithn- Are you able to stick to the subject or must you constantly use the argumentum ad hominem? It is really the mark of someone who knows little or nothing.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:15 pm
The CIA types wouldn't dare pressure Fox. He's a Harvard man- You know!!!!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:39 pm
BernardR wrote:
The CIA types wouldn't dare pressure Fox. He's a Harvard man- You know!!!!

In fact, no, I don't know. Perhaps if you were a little more explicit . . .
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:45 pm
Vicente Fox obtained a diploma in top management skills from the Business School of Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:49 pm
BernardR wrote:
Vicente Fox obtained a diploma in top management skills from the Business School of Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts.

Yes, and your point is?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:02 pm
Gee, don't get that nose out of joint, bernie, elst how would see which side of your mouth to sneer out of?

You want to saunter in and languidly offer snide insult, then expect some in return dear boy.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:06 pm
I must beg your indulgence, blacksmithn. Would you please point out "snide insult(s) I have authored? I may indeed be unaware of them or perhaps you are mistaken. But, I must tell you that I am a literalist. They must be "insults" and they must be "snide".

Thank you, blacksmithn.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 12:30 pm
Quote:
Parry expects the world population to grow to about 8.4 billion in 2035, compared with 6.4 billion today. By then some 68% of the population will be urban, with some giant metropolises becoming ungovernable. He warns that Mexico City could be an example.

Parry is Rear Admiral Chris Parry a senior British military strategist.

Google TIMES ON LINE for Sunday Times article BEWARE:THE NEW GOTHS ARE COMING.
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 06:50 am
Does this mean mexican pot won't have all those seeds in it any more?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:09 pm
spendius wrote:
Quote:
Parry expects the world population to grow to about 8.4 billion in 2035, compared with 6.4 billion today. By then some 68% of the population will be urban, with some giant metropolises becoming ungovernable. He warns that Mexico City could be an example.

Parry is Rear Admiral Chris Parry a senior British military strategist.

Google TIMES ON LINE for Sunday Times article BEWARE:THE NEW GOTHS ARE COMING.

How long does a civilization last anyhow?
0 Replies