Anti-Americanism 'feels like racism'

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:36 am
snood, Your memory resembles mine about that period a couple of years ago when so many Americans denigrated "old europe."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:52 am
Quick to label, even quicker to yell foul when someone returns the sling. Big ol' crybabies. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:03 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Unfortunately, I must agree that Americans do have a tendency to talk loud

So do Chinese people.

And yeah, I remember that period about "old europe". I also remember the funny little statement that French's had to put out stating that they were in fact an English company.
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 12:56 am
Quote:
So do Chinese people.

I know. It was such a shock to go from the quiet trains of Japan, where everyone is asleep, to the cacaphony of Hong Kong during rush hour.

I think in the case of Americans, the loudness is such an affront to the senses, that it just exacerbates a potentially charged situation. So many people have a distaste for American politics and our poor behaviour provides the opportunity to voice these frustrations through a face to face confrontation. With another nationality, he or she might chalk it up to the alcohol or bad manners.

I'm actually a bit shy. I've been told by several people that they didn't think I was American when we first met. Which I know was some kind of backhanded compliment, but it only frustrated me. I'm just as American as the loudest American tourist. Even more frustrating was that there was this obnoxious, rude Canadian guy at my last job, and my coworkers said he was more American than me. C'mon, now.

Quote:
"HEY BUDDY, WHAT DOES SOMEONE HAVE TO DO TO GET A DRINK ROUND HERE?"

I don't know about you, but I considered this bloody rude.

Oh, man. Absolutely cringeworthy.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:40 am
It just goes to show you that in today's world, a society is judged only by its worst members.
0 Replies