How Comfortable Are You With Medical Tests and Procedures?

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:17 am
In a thread on "worst movies" I mentioned that I had gotten very upset at one point in the movie where a doctor is sticking a needle in the actress' neck. I was not afraid of the content of the movie, but the medical procedure.

Over the years, I have had to undergo some serious medical stuff. As a result, I can accept all sorts of medical invasions with relative equanimity. In fact, at one point when I knew that I would need to undergo many blood tests, I forced myself to look at the needle going into my arm, until I was perfectly comfortable looking at it.

How comfortable are YOU with medical procedures? Have you ever put off a needed test because you could not deal with it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,414 • Replies: 18
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:22 am
I'm pretty cool about most procedures, both observed and those done on me.

The most sickening for me to observe and to smell was in the dialysis clinic. The smell is overwhelming due to the blood products circulating through the tubing.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:34 am
Re: How Comfortable Are You With Medical Tests and Procedure
Phoenix32890 wrote:
In fact, at one point when I knew that I would need to undergo many blood tests, I forced myself to look at the needle going into my arm, until I was perfectly comfortable looking at it.

That gives me the heeby-jeebies just thinking about it...I can't watch a needle going into my arm. I don't usually consider myself wimpy, but that makes me queezy. So I guess that would mean I'm pretty uncomfortable with med tests and procedures -- invasive ones, anyway.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:36 am
Some people, culturally, worship their blood. As a result, trying to draw their blood via a vein puncture, is very difficult.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:39 am
I don't love testing, but I submit to it because it's necessary.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:56 am
I can't even get a paper-cut without feeling weak. Ahem, "No" would be my answer. "You come near me with a needle and I'm going to freak out!"

On the plus side, I'll never resort to intravenous drug-use!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:07 pm
Yep getting the wonderscope up the rear is real pleasing (NOT). But then it's an annual or did I say an anal must!!!!!
Bring on the date rape drugs please!!!!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:10 pm
Oh Mr husker, would you lay on your side please and move your top leg across so that we get a getter view of yer arse. All the mean while your wearing an IV, BPcuff, and oxygen.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:12 pm
Hmm, that's something attractive for me to think about for the rest of the afternoon, husker. Thanks for that!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:13 pm
Heeven yer day is about over LOL
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:14 pm
For the most part I detest any sort of medical procedure. Hell, I hate driving to a doctor's office.

After a while you do become accustomed to somethings and they tend not to bother you any more. When my daughter was forst diagnosed as a diabetic I had to give her insulin injections. I freaked on the first few. After a week or so I could do it with olny mild queeziness. Now it's a piece of cake and getting injections myself is no longer a big deal.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:22 pm
husker wrote:
Yep getting the wonderscope up the rear is real pleasing (NOT). But then it's an annual or did I say an anal must!!!!!
Bring on the date rape drugs please!!!!!!

Husker:

Let us not forget fun times with mammography! squeeze>>>Harder>>>
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:24 pm
Right been there also!!! And fer a guy - ouch!!!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:24 pm
Harder for you than a female...You have less breast tissue.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:27 pm
a pinch is a pinch!! remember I have boobs like Hulk Hogan! (well used to)

http://www.webontario.com/fighting/hulkhogan/hogan_title.jpg
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 12:43 pm
Hmmm!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:05 pm
needles are no problem, as long as i'm not watching them go in.
blood pressure cuffs freak me out - it always amazes me how low my blood pressure is, when i'm halfway to hysteria while they're using it. I must be close to a coma at my normal bp reading.

generally though - if i get as far as the dr's office, i'll do the tests they want.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:15 pm
Well, I am a combat medic of the IDF reserves, and I not only can accept a needle intravenously (mainly, in course of training), but I also insert it to another persons' vein without any psychologic problems. The only medical procedures I have some negative prejudices to are any manipulations with the rectum (enema, rectoscopy and the like). Thanks God, my health condition does not require such stuff.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:22 pm
Nah, the procedures don't bother me at all.

About the only thing that makes me nautious is listening to someone else get sick......or listening to a cat trying to cough up a furball.....
0 Replies