Must beans always mean fartz? Is there as less windy way?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:41 am
I've heard of the baking soda thing, never tried it... glad to see directions for how much and how to do it.

Now then, never have two bowls of my pasta e fagioli..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:51 am
there is nothing like a good trumpet session after a pot 'o beans

beano would have been my suggestion as well.

Another suggestion my MIL swears by is apples. Along with the meal, makes you less - rumbly -

I dont know how true it is, and we all know her cheese slipped of her cracker years ago..
but..... she might be right.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:02 am
hmmm, supposedly fruit eaten with other foods slows down the digestion of both. Apples with beans might cause the beans to stay in the stomach longer and digest more completely before passing through the intestines. Interesting....
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:11 am
msolga wrote:

Interesting, Amigo, interesting!

Do you, personally, use this product?

I dunno, there's something a wee bit resistant here about taking a pill (or drops) to simply eat a meal. But then, maybe that's my hang-up.

But I'm kind of interested, though. No chemicals, no nothing harmful? And it does the trick?

Have you tried it yourself, Amigo?
I don't really have that problem with beans so I don't use it but my mom did. If I did have that problem I would just turn it into an opportunity.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:04 am
Re: Must beans always mean fartz? Is there as less windy way
msolga wrote:
The inspiration for the title of this thread was some graffiti I saw a long time ago. It was a take on a Heinz advertisement: "Heinze meanz beanz!". (For Heinze tinned beans, obviously). Then someone wisecracker took it upon themselves to graffiti Heinze meanz fartz all over the inner-city.

Anyway, beans & farting:

I used to eat all varieties of beans & lentils in my 100% vegetarian days. The things I could do with them! You wouldn't believe! Very Happy

Recently (having become a moderate meat eater again, for a few years now) I felt an urge to indulge myself again in some of my old bean/lentil favourites. But I had completely forgotten about the wind factor! Ah yes, & it all came back to me: all those theories for taking the fart factor out of beans! Like, changing the water they were soaking in, prior to cooking, many times .... or throwing out the water after boiling them for 10 minutes & replacing with fresh water for the rest of the cooking process ...

Well, none of these methods really did the trick, I'm afraid. Beans did mean farts!

What I'd like to know is this: has any one of you discovered a sure-fire method of cooking unwindy beans & lentils? If you have, I'd love for you to share the secret!

Oh & any delicious bean/pea/lentil favourites would be most appreciated, too! Very Happy

How is gas treated?
Experience has shown that the most common ways to reduce the discomfort of gas are changing diet, taking medicines, and reducing the amount of air swallowed.

Diet
Doctors may tell people to eat fewer foods that cause gas. However, for some people this may mean cutting out healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and milk products.

Doctors may also suggest limiting high-fat foods to reduce bloating and discomfort. This helps the stomach empty faster, allowing gases to move into the small intestine.

Unfortunately, the amount of gas caused by certain foods varies from person to person. Effective dietary changes depend on learning through trial and error how much of the offending foods one can handle.

Nonprescription Medicines
Many nonprescription, over-the-counter medicines are available to help reduce symptoms, including antacids with simethicone. Digestive enzymes, such as lactase supplements, actually help digest carbohydrates and may allow people to eat foods that normally cause gas.

Antacids, such as Mylanta II, Maalox II, and Di-Gel, contain simethicone, a foaming agent that joins gas bubbles in the stomach so that gas is more easily belched away. However, these medicines have no effect on intestinal gas. Dosage varies depending on the form of medication and the patient's age.

The enzyme lactase, which aids with lactose digestion, is available in caplet and chewable tablet form without a prescription (Lactaid and Lactrase). Chewing lactase tablets just before eating helps digest foods that contain lactose. Also, lactose-reduced milk and other products are available at many grocery stores (Lactaid and Dairy Ease).

Beano, an over-the-counter digestive aid, contains the sugar-digesting enzyme that the body lacks to digest the sugar in beans and many vegetables. The enzyme comes in liquid and tablet form. Five drops are added per serving or 1 tablet is swallowed just before eating to break down the gas-producing sugars. Beano has no effect on gas caused by lactose or fiber.

Prescription Medicines
Doctors may prescribe medicines to help reduce symptoms, especially for people with a disorder such as IBS.

Reducing Swallowed AirFor those who have chronic belching, doctors may suggest ways to reduce the amount of air swallowed. Recommendations are to avoid chewing gum and to avoid eating hard candy. Eating at a slow pace and checking with a dentist to make sure dentures fit properly should also help.

But ultimately No Natural way to avoid bean fartz :wink:

You'd dare to eat them if you dare to fart
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 12:04 am
Timely article!

Quote:
A Venezuelan team says fermenting beans with certain friendly bacteria can cut the amount of wind-causing compounds, and boost beans' nutritional value.

The research appears in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture.
BBC on fartless Beanz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:53 am
Surprised Now who would have thought that so much would be published on the subject of beanz & farting? Thank you vinsan & k. If we all pool our knowledge we'll eventually find a solution! :wink:

But I must say, I like shewolf's attitude, too:

"there is nothing like a good trumpet session after a pot 'o beans"

Laughing Learn to enjoy the affliction!

Hmmmmm ... fruit with the beans? I might try that J_B & report back on my findings!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 12:43 pm
Besides the oligosaccarchides, bean sugar, which bacteria turn into gas as a waste product, beans have an enormous amount of fiber. Fiber, which some people need and can handle well, speeds up peristolysis, way too much for my gut. That results in gas too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 12:46 pm
Hmmm, I've cooked with fermented black beans before - that's a chinese sauce (if I remember right).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 12:58 pm
You should simply harness the methane. Good uses include flash photography and space heating.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 01:15 pm
Or build an arboretum over the landfill..
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:10 pm
Never light a fart in polyester pants.
-Steve Martin
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 05:58 pm
Laughing
Absolutely, polyester is a trap!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 05:59 pm
... & you'd probably get a rash!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:15 pm
If you were lucky... I think Steve was referring to the flammable natue of said pants. Not worth the laughs IMO...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:23 pm
Laughing

That would make farting in them even worse! A nasty rash AND burns! Nah, stick to the natural fibres when indulging in beanz!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:34 pm
So, yesterday I made minestrone using canned pinto beans. I've been noticing, at least my now local canned beans don't have all that thick oligosaccharide gooey glop embedding them.

I am proud, proud, and proud again, to say No Farts My Lady from two, count'em, two, bowls of beany soup..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:42 pm
Surprised Wow, osso!

Congratulations!

(So it's the gooey gunk in canned beans that does it?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:44 pm
That's a theory of mine..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:48 pm
Ah. Actually I don't used canned beans all that much, osso, but I'll keep that in mind for when I do. Drain & rinse the little blighters!
0 Replies