Must beans always mean fartz? Is there as less windy way?

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:19 pm
The inspiration for the title of this thread was some graffiti I saw a long time ago. It was a take on a Heinz advertisement: "Heinze meanz beanz!". (For Heinze tinned beans, obviously). Then someone wisecracker took it upon themselves to graffiti Heinze meanz fartz all over the inner-city.

Anyway, beans & farting:

I used to eat all varieties of beans & lentils in my 100% vegetarian days. The things I could do with them! You wouldn't believe! Very Happy

Recently (having become a moderate meat eater again, for a few years now) I felt an urge to indulge myself again in some of my old bean/lentil favourites. But I had completely forgotten about the wind factor! Ah yes, & it all came back to me: all those theories for taking the fart factor out of beans! Like, changing the water they were soaking in, prior to cooking, many times .... or throwing out the water after boiling them for 10 minutes & replacing with fresh water for the rest of the cooking process ...

Well, none of these methods really did the trick, I'm afraid. Beans did mean farts!

What I'd like to know is this: has any one of you discovered a sure-fire method of cooking unwindy beans & lentils? If you have, I'd love for you to share the secret!

Oh & any delicious bean/pea/lentil favourites would be most appreciated, too! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,592 • Replies: 45
No top replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:29 pm
My favourites, BTW, are back eyed peas/beans, borlottis, Lima beans & some varieties of lentils (depending on the recipe)

I just wish that the ... er ... side effects could be removed! That's all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:31 pm
Aaah, farts are GOOD!

I have a pot of lentil soup on the stove now...chicken stock, onions, garlic, herbs, veg and chicken thighs.

It is GREEN lentils, which are especially lovely.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:32 pm
http://benedictblog.com/images/beano.jpg

http://www.beanogas.com/about.asp
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:43 pm
Ooooooooooh, that soup sounds excellent, Deb! Could you send me some, COD, please? Oh, yum! I'm gonna have to do something like that, soon. It being the start of seriously cold weather & all .... Perfect!

But it really depends on what level of farting one is comfortable with, you see. Like, last week I cooked a garlicky Lima bean concoction with heaps of fresh coriander on top. Lovely! BUT, alas, too soon after, I cooked a pea & smoked ham soup. Yummy too, but way too soon after the Lima beans, I discovered. So I promptly put left-overs from both into my freezer, for obvious reasons!

Maybe the answer is to spread these beany/lentil experiences out? Not too many, too close together?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:49 pm

Interesting, Amigo, interesting!

Do you, personally, use this product?

I dunno, there's something a wee bit resistant here about taking a pill (or drops) to simply eat a meal. But then, maybe that's my hang-up.

But I'm kind of interested, though. No chemicals, no nothing harmful? And it does the trick?

Have you tried it yourself, Amigo?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:03 am
Msolga, you have bought back a particularly happy memory for me.

The full rhyme, known by every schoolboy in the 60's and 70's, was :-

Beans beans are good for the heart,
The more you eat the more you fart,
The more you fart the better you feel,
So eat beans at every meal.

This doesn't sound very funny to an adult, but at the time, it was highly amusing to us first formers.

Well, it was sports day at my school and we were all lined up on the blocks, ready for our P.E. Teacher to fire his starting gun for the 100 yard sprint final.

Things were tense.

Parents were lining the route, waiting to cheer their particular spotty eleven year old to victory.
Mr Reynolds, the normally very serious and tough (ex army) sports Master raised his gun and said, loud enough for only us to hear.....

"Beans beans are good for the heart, the more you eat the better you start", and fired the gun.

Have you ever tried sprinting whilst having a fit of the giggles?
Chaos ensued, followed by several re-starts. I think I came in last.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:11 am
Lol!

We know that rhyme as:

Cocaine, cocaine, the musical fruit,
The more you eat, the more you toot,
The more you toot the better you feel,
So buy some and snort some instead of a meal.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:20 am
A delightful story, Ellpus! Very Happy

But did you win the race?

Any favourite English beany/lentily memories from that time?

Hmmmm .... I wonder if there's any evidence to support that claim, that beans are good for the heart?

And what is the actual health benefit of farting a lot, I wonder? (I realize that all those gases have to go somewhere, or else we'll explode! .... but is it better to fart a lot rather than just the normal, boring, everday number of farts?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:29 am
Farting is a sign that your bowel is doing it's job well, and has a good, thriving colony of those little friendly bacteria/um (?), working like billy-o, breaking down all the food so that the nutrients can be easily extracted.

It is also very useful at Christmas, when one wants unwanted relatives to beat a hasty retreat.

......sidenote. My previous dog was so used to being blamed all the time, that when anyone let a loud one go, he used to get up and walk out of the room.

Lentil soup is my favourite winter warmer, but I must admit to having a particular liking for tinned beans "n" sausages.

For those in the UK that have a similar liking, try Tesco or Sainsurys varieties, as they are FAR superior to Heinz, IMO.
dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:38 am
msolga wrote:
A delightful story, Ellpus! Very Happy

But did you win the race?

Any favourite English beany/lentily memories from that time?

Hmmmm .... I wonder if there's any evidence to support that claim, that beans are good for the heart?

And what is the actual health benefit of farting a lot, I wonder? (I realize that all those gases have to go somewhere, or else we'll explode! .... but is it better to fart a lot rather than just the normal, boring, everday number of farts?

I do not think farting is especially good...but the digestive processes that lead to a lot of it are apparently healthier...

Or, it means you are eating healthy, fibrous stuff, like beans, cruciate vegies etc.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 02:43 am
Not convenient when your in a room full of people for most of the day tho.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 04:22 am
yakult msolga is a product that you may have seen in your supermarket.
I cant say that it stops poo puffs but it is quite good for a balanced digestive system. There is a low sugar variety as well.
My Swedish exchange student tells me there are fermented milk products such as Fil mjolk (Sw) or keffir (Georgia) which are very good for your digestive system. I have been unsuccesfull in finding these product here in Oz.

Yoghurt as long as it is not stabilised by starch or geletin or heat treated to kill the bacteria can also be beneficial.

I think the thing about beans is not too much at once. Keep the serving potions small and 2 or 3 times a week

Comedian Dave Allen, when asked what is the funniest thing in the whole world answered..............

Farts...... he he he he he he
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:09 am
So, dadpad, yakult will neutralize the effects of a hearty beany feast?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:38 am
well Msolga truth to tell i havnt ever felt the need to try it, but excessive wind seems to indicate a digestive system that is out of balance so it might be worth a try.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:41 am
... or else, as you suggested earlier, feast sparingly on those lentil burgers or the beany shepherd's pie?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:16 am
There are a couple of things you can try.

First, replace the water with fresh before you start to cook the beans, add 1/2 tsp baking soda to the water and stay closeby as it starts to come to a simmer. The baking soda will create a TON of foam which you skim off until it stops foaming (similar to making chicken stock). Don't let the water come to a heavy boil, just a slow simmer. It usually takes about 10 minutes to get rid of all the foam. The resulting beans should be less gaseous.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:24 am
Thanks, J_B!

I've tried the replacing the water method without the desired result. But not the baking soda one. Does this alter the taste in any way?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:31 am
No, not that I know of.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:33 am
OK, I'll give that a try next time.
0 Replies