The 2nd Dancer: "How to spin this to my advantage...."

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 02:18 pm
From a bylined AP story by Allen G. Breed:

The woman being quoted is Kim Roberts, the Second Dancer/Stripper at the infamous Duke lacross party.

Ms. Roberts e-mailed 5W Public Relations a NYC firm that specializes in managing crisis communication. Clients include Sean "Diddy" combs, Ice cube and Lil' Kim.

Quote:
I've found myself in the center of one of the biggest stories in the country. I'm worried about letting this opportunity pass me by without making the best of it and was wondering if you had any advice as tohow to spin this to my advantage."

Ms. Roberts, like the woman who has accused members of the lacross team of rape, is a divorced single mother. She is worried that because of the adverse publicity about her criminal record (embezzling $25,000), no one will want to hire her.

I feel this woman's actions go a step beyond both "News as Entertainment" and "All Publicity is Good Publicity" to "Notority is a Saleable Comodity".

If I were her judge or her probation officer, I'd strongly suggest that she keep her mouth shut; that profiting or trying to profit from a legal case that has not been decided is neither fair to the plantiff nor to the defendent.

She said,

Why shouldn't I profit from it? I didn't ask to be in this position..... I would like to feed my daughter.
Quote:

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,011 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 03:26 pm
I think Ms Roberts should exercise extreme caution. Putting aside the ethical question for the moment, everything she says or does will now be closely examined by both sides in the court case, not to mention the media. If she's a friendly witness for the prosecution, the defense will try to rip her to shreds and vice versa. She could come out of this looking a lot worse than when she went in, regardless of what some spinmeisters at a PR firm try to do for her.

But, of course, you can't put the ethical implications aside for very long. Trying to make a profit from someone else's sad misfortune is nothing short of reprehensible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 04:16 pm
We shouldn't let her distract us from the question of provable guilt.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 05:12 pm
Merry Andrew--

There is already speculation that in return for her "timetable" testimony about events that she will not have to post cash bail for breaking her parole (for the embezzlement) by drinking and partying.

Edgar--

This woman used to be a bookkeeper--she's not a stupid person. Still, she seems unaware that "guilt" and "an appearance of guilt:" may be influenced by "spin" and "spin for profit".

She sees this mess as "an opportunity that may pass me by".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 05:17 pm
Yes, I understand that. Which is why I suggest she should not be allowed to distract from the evidence, or lack of it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:00 pm
I'm thinking Andy Warhol was right about that whole 15 minutes thing.

I have no idea what really happened that night but someone's life has been/will be damaged and this girl tries to profit from it.

Sad.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:00 pm
I'm thinking Andy Warhol was right about that whole 15 minutes thing.

I have no idea what really happened that night but someone's life has been/will be damaged and this girl tries to profit from it.

Sad.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:01 pm
Edgar--

Sorry to seem pedantic or condescending. You are not a man who can be condescended to. What strikes me as wacky about this woman is that in this case "spin" is illegal.

Of course if she's getting a break on posting bail by being willing to testify against the Rich Lacross Kids....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:06 pm
>...What do you think?

I think the president and board of regents of Duck university should consider doing what Slick KKKlinton did the last time he had an ugly rape allegation (Juanita Broaddrick) he needed to MOVE_ON(TM) past, i.e. find some innocent Christian nation having a problem with islammic narco-terrorists trying to take over some province or region of the country, and bomb the Christian country for eighty days and nights including Easter sunday. Worked pretty well for Slick; at the end of that, nobody was talking about Juanita Broaddrick any more.

Does Duck university have any sort of an airforce?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:03 pm
Just when you think you've heard everything.....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:46 am
After gungasnake put it so succinctly, I don't see there's more to be said. Good post, gunga. keep us entertained.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:54 am
Entertainment??

You might want to purchase a copy of Dnesh D'Souza's "Illiberal Education" for starters.....

Duck university figured prominently on D'Souza's list of formerly serious schools which had degenerated into political correctionss factories. Kinda sounds like they're getting an up-close look at the evil fruits of the crap.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:57 am
Somehow, some nutcake would find a way to blame Clinton. Didn't you just know it would happen?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:05 am
I don't BLAME KKKlinton for anything at all. Being born a psychopath is basically a birth defect like being born with Down syndrome.

What I BLAME is the de-moker-RAT party which was absolutely obligated to pack Slick's sorry ass off to St. Elizabeth's hospital or some such and hand the govt. over to Algor and which, instead, absolutely went to the wall to keep Slick's sorry ass in the whitehouse for eight years.

They knew Slick had major kinds of psychiatric issues no later than mid 94:

http://reason.com/9411/fe.efron.9411.shtml
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:55 am
Fascinating.

Do you purchase aluminum foil in bulk quantities?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:09 am
Quote:

It was said of Philip II of Spain, but it applies equally to George II of the US, "No experience of the failure of his policy could shake his belief in its essential excellence."

Failure?? I mean, he's beaten YOU with it two times....
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:12 am
Yeah, you can never be too careful with those darned subliminal microwave beams... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:34 pm
All the world's a stage
And all the men and women
Merely players....
0 Replies