Stop Cruel Horse Slaughter

jennypeeps

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 09:41 pm
I wonder how you would feel if someone killed your horse and then ate it? Doesn't sound like fun to me.. that's for sure.... And for you even thinking it's ok to let other countries eat our horses... Well, you must not care about other peoples feelings, were those horses could be now if they were saved, or about the abuse they endure
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 05:26 pm
Welcome wenchilina and jennypeeps Very Happy

The facts are these. Horses feel pain, anguish, lonliness, anger,
fright, happiness, sandness, and grief. All animals, including the human animal.

I see by your avatar, wenchilina, that you either have an affection for horses, or you are lucky enough to have a companion horse.
If you are in the company of horses, then you know the animals go through a range of emotions. Now, place the horse in a moving rig and head out to the nearest slaughterhouse holding area.

Horses, and farm animals react in the same manner. Pass a rig carrying cattle or lambs heading for slaughter. The stench reeking from the animals a definitely clue. Or visit a slaughterhouse and see how the animals react in holding pens - or the poor "downed animals" dragged with chains because they can neither stand or walk.

People do not wish to believe that animals feel pain. Especially when they're eating a dinner of chicken, meat, pork, or horsemeat.

jennypeeps, I agree. A neighbor had her horse stolen - probably
shipped to either Texas or Mexico. With the horseslaughter ban in Texas, and the U.S. Senate passage of a nationwide ban on horseslaughter (the bill due any moment), we may see a decline in the amount of animals stolen yearly.

There was also two separate incidences where horses were shot and killed ( I live in a rural area where animals are usually standing
in their pastures - we believe safely). Some weird freako with a gun and no brains decided to kill horses - taking two beloved animals from their human companions. Why? Because the law doesn't hang horse rustlers or horse killers anymore. To bad.

Plants respond to touch, soothing music, talking, changes in the weather and their enviornment, etc. Are they reacting, or feeling?
0 Replies

jennypeeps

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 01:47 pm
I like ponies! Drunk
0 Replies

Santuzza

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 07:43 pm
Yo Jen, bad day at the track? Cool
0 Replies

jennypeeps

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:11 am
I like runny ponies they are purty... Laughing
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 01:14 pm
I like horses too. I ate some horse meat once. It was much like lean beef. I think most of us need a little animal protein to be healthy. I agree most of us could cut our animal products consumption by ten without ill effects. Why not slaugter horses that have negligible resale value?
How many horse lovers are willing to send me fifty dollars per week so I can care for an unwanted horse? Actually I think I will operate at a loss at $50 per week per horse, as I will want to have vet take care of horses that get sick and I will have dispose of the corpse if the vet can't save the horse. Can I burry a horse or two in your yard if I perform a nice grave side momorial service?. Neil
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 03:47 pm
Hi Neil and welcome Very Happy

There are many rescue groups who take in unwanted horses. Generally, the animals suffer from neglect causing ailments that with the proper nutrition and care, are curable.

Slaughtering horses was convenient for "farmers" collecting urine from pregnant mares - fowls and colts given no consideration. Racehorses not makeing the grade? Sent to slaughter. Horses rounded up by the BLM yearly were "adopted" by the general public. How many of the animals were spared slaughter? More than half the horses captured are killed, unless lucky enough to remain with adoptive people.

Animals are not ours to use, exploit, or abuse.

In answer to your question - yes, horses can be buried on a persons property. Gravesite memorial services optional.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:20 pm
I love all tasty critters.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:20 pm
Stradee, you should go hang out at http://www.tednugent.com for awhile.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:34 pm
Nah, Ted and I don't get along. I can outshoot him. Razz
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:37 pm
Outshoot him at what? He doesn't waste ammo.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 05:54 pm
Still targets (paper) shooting range, skeet, whatever. So long as the target isn't alive.

He hates losing reloads , but with his ego and all.....
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 05:35 pm
Stradee wrote:
Racehorses not makeing the grade? Sent to slaughter

Complete and utter rubbish.
Small numbers do not make for definitive comments like that heap of horsecrap.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:30 pm
Where in the hell have you been! Hang around the track! Racehorses are bred for racing. How many racehorses are sold at auction that didn't make the grade. Where in the hell do you think most horses sold at auction ended up! It's about the money!

So much for ****.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:58 pm
Sorry, but horse killing is way down in my issues of concern when so many humans are being killed and starved daily. c.i.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 08:53 pm
Hi c.i. ~

Exploitation in any form should never be tolerated.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:10 pm
Stradee wrote:
Where in the hell have you been! Hang around the track! Racehorses are bred for racing. How many racehorses are sold at auction that didn't make the grade. Where in the hell do you think most horses sold at auction ended up! It's about the money!

So much for ****.

I've been galloping racehorses since my high school years - so I've been between Del Mar, Santa Anita, Keeneland, Lone Star, Tamp Bay downs, through Ocala and back.
Do you have any idea how many racehorses run each year? That number eclipses a few universes over a number 7,000 to 8,000 slaughtered.

Seriously, LOSE the propaganda bit.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:13 pm
First of all, it isn't propaganda. Why do you think there are advocacy groups, which incidently helped in shutting down horse slaughterhouses in Texas.

Profit is what motivates any business. When a company is losing money, they make adjustments. Unfortunately, horses can't file for unemployment, neither do they have a voice.

Seven or eight thousand horses slaughtered (not counting the animals abandoned or captured) add to that the number of grayhounds that were needlessly destroyed each year - pick any industry that profits from animal exploitation - and the numbers add up quickly.

btw, I'm not a stranger to racetracks, rodeos, or working ranches - cared for animals all my life, horses are my favorite sentient of all.

I also contain zero tolerance for the mentality of those exploiting or abusing animals. Any animal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 10:21 am
http://www.metro.ca/client/en/GuideCulinaire/Viande/Cheval.asp
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 10:21 am
http://www.foodreference.com/html/arthorsemeat.html
0 Replies